Is Mountain Buzz Dead? - Page 3 - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-19-2019   #21

Hi,

I don't know much about what else is going on, but the Buzz sure used to be a lot more rowdy...

Rich Phillips

richp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2019   #22

Jenks, Oklahoma
If one of the buzzards have the technical expertise and time to maintain this site, I will be glad to start up a members fund to buy this site.

This site has been a source of information, sharing, laughter and place to buy and sell stuff. I hate to see this site die.

The story goes on. I had the same password for years and yesterday it would not work. I followed instructions several times to reset and the reset link did not get to my email, then late in the day it showed up but the link would not work. I kept getting the error msg and finally gave up. Then this morning I did the reset again, the link showed up in my email and the email reset link worked. Weird stuff happening.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019   #23

SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 1999
I had a very brief chat with the owner of the company that runs this site a few years back. There were a few ideas thrown around how the buzz and riverbrain could join up and do some things together (from a technical and software side). Nothing ever really went further than that. From what I could tell that company owned a bunch of niche forums like this. I suppose their main revenue model was around the ad space.

From a pure business perspective, there's not much $ to tap into from the river community. It's a smaller market than say skiing or mountain biking at this time. I pretty much fund and keep riverbrain alive at this point for personal and philanthropic reasons. Mountain buzz will have to determine its reasons for continuing to fund and maintain this site. Maybe with the lack of attention lately they've figure it's not worth it.
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2019   #24

Bellingham, Washington
Paddling Since: 1998
So MountainBuzz is full up? No more room for newbies? Jesus, as if we don't hear enough of that Nativist shit in real life! I came to the Buzz a few years ago as a refugee from a great WW kayaking site called Professor Paddle. Professor Paddle is dead. Deader than a door nail. So how did that happen?

Well, IMO it was a combination of things... the owner/admin got tired of all the time and money it took to keep the site functioning (the gauges no longer updated, the classified section quit working, etc., etc.) and I'm pretty sure the site got hacked and attacked with malware a few times and I think the owner also got personally sued by someone just trying to stir shit. Seriously, who wants to deal with that shit?

But that wasn't what really killed PP, IMO. What really killed it was the "old school" members from the early days who did their best to drive away newbies and lurkers and people who only post a dozen times a year. (i.e., people who have real lives.) It would take me 30 or 40 years to tally up 1,000 posts. Some of you have three or four times that many posts. Unlike FB, the content you added is still available in the archives, so if you actually said anything useful, I'll be able to search it and read it years from now. Do newbies ask stupid questions about things that have already been discussed to death? Of course they do. But without newbies, this site will die.

Y'all want to go to FB? Be my guest. Go be Zuckerberg's bitch. FB is a cancer on our society and most of the youngs are like, "Metastasis is so cool!" At least when I post something on the Buzz I don't have to worry about all the contacts on my phone being uploaded and sold to the highest bidder. At least not yet.
landslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019   #25

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Quote:
Originally Posted by landslide View Post
Y'all want to go to FB? Be my guest. Go be Zuckerberg's bitch. FB is a cancer on our society and most of the youngs are like, "Metastasis is so cool!" At least when I post something on the Buzz I don't have to worry about all the contacts on my phone being uploaded and sold to the highest bidder. At least not yet.

Well said, and an adept explanation of the Zuckerburg business model.

Interesting read on Zuck and FB and the latest FTC probe...
https://www.chron.com/news/article/F...d-13779470.php

It amazes me that given all the negative aspects of FB, that people still use it at all.
MNichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019   #26

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
I lurked on MB for a long time, I post from time to time, I found and continue to find use for it.

I was a young kid without two nickels to rub together so I really did read and find use on the "how to rig your trailer" threads. Myself and a friend self taught how to get into a raft and row it down a river. I used the archives to decide if I could run the stretch, and youtube to scout the rapids. I've gotten a ton of enjoyment of being on the river and all of my knowledge is from this website or personal experience. I don't like facebook, and I've never been akin to large group settings.

Now I have a few nickels to rub together, and a family to boot. I'm getting them into boating and teaching them the things I learned from here (how to rig a trailer, how to strap a frame to a boat, the difference between a eddy line and a bowline).

I'm thankful for all the knowledge in the archives here, a place to post dumb questions, and to post drunken stuff to incite a riot. To the experienced people, I understand your frustration but also thank you for your time over the years, there are many people like me out there you have helped beyond what you can comprehend. (As a side note I still miss stupid guide tricks).

I'm in for a members fund if that becomes a reality. I'd like local and small vendors to have a place to showcase their products as I have found some amazing stuff through their advertising here.

If it is time for it to die I will shed a tear. I believe the knowledge here exposed me to something that gives me tremendous joy and something I will share with my children and those close to me until I myself die someday. We shall see what happens.
theusualsuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019   #27

Golden, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmyers View Post
Yep....... you don't see any of the old school members anymore and all the posts are newbs. You pretty much hit the nail on the head.
This place has been weak for a very long,long time. The new owners suck dick,sure. However,the previous owner’s family friendly vision sucked dick,too. The over moderation enforcing that lame ass, family friendly vision sucked dick.

And poof...ten years later, you guys sit around wondering where all the cool,edgy fun shit and posters have gone?

Enjoy the cooler discussions, gents...you guys earned it after all the years of hard work on castrating this place.
griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019   #28

Littlefun, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Screw FB, bailed on that cesspool years ago. Mountain Buzz is a great resource for the boating community.
Old 04-19-2019   #29

Fort Collins, Colorado
Iíll echo all of these thoughts. I continue to regularly use the MB to get beta (even if itís old), search the classifieds, and check out gear. Probably couldnít have gotten so into rafting as I have with out this website, or at least it would have been much harder. I check MB regularly and post occasionally. Iíll continue to do so and I hope the site lasts and improves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theusualsuspect View Post
I lurked on MB for a long time, I post from time to time, I found and continue to find use for it.

I was a young kid without two nickels to rub together so I really did read and find use on the "how to rig your trailer" threads. Myself and a friend self taught how to get into a raft and row it down a river. I used the archives to decide if I could run the stretch, and youtube to scout the rapids. I've gotten a ton of enjoyment of being on the river and all of my knowledge is from this website or personal experience. I don't like facebook, and I've never been akin to large group settings.

Now I have a few nickels to rub together, and a family to boot. I'm getting them into boating and teaching them the things I learned from here (how to rig a trailer, how to strap a frame to a boat, the difference between a eddy line and a bowline).

I'm thankful for all the knowledge in the archives here, a place to post dumb questions, and to post drunken stuff to incite a riot. To the experienced people, I understand your frustration but also thank you for your time over the years, there are many people like me out there you have helped beyond what you can comprehend. (As a side note I still miss stupid guide tricks).

I'm in for a members fund if that becomes a reality. I'd like local and small vendors to have a place to showcase their products as I have found some amazing stuff through their advertising here.

If it is time for it to die I will shed a tear. I believe the knowledge here exposed me to something that gives me tremendous joy and something I will share with my children and those close to me until I myself die someday. We shall see what happens.
protechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019   #30
LSB
Renaissance Redneck

Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
Definite better beta here.
The only thing FB is good for is looking up pictures of old girlfriends to see how fat they got.