Is a fellow buzzard scamming us? - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-28-2017   #1

Fort Fun, Colorado
Paddling Since: 94
Is a fellow buzzard scamming us?

OK - Scam is a bit strong in my opinion. Everyone needs to make money, I get that - but are these the same rafts from FL? If so I find that it sits wrong with me that he would upcharge around $2000/raft.

https://boulder.craigslist.org/for/6022964506.html

trevko is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2017   #2

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
The new boats and barrel pumps don't appear to have been personal stock but seem more like a business venture. The ads have been removed.

To be fair to our paying sponsors it is MountainBuzz's policy that free advertising in the Gear Swap section is reserved for individuals selling off personal gear and for our paying sponsors to sell off old rental gear, demos, blems, etc.

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017   #3

Meridian, Idaho
I cant say I know the guy or the situation but if buying something and selling it at a profit makes one a scammer then I am not sure what we should call the manufacturers, distributers, and retailers of all the gear we buy and use. Imagine the names we should be calling outfitters who buy fleets of boats at huge discounts, use them to make money, and then sell them off for the same price they paid for them. If the age or condition of the rafts were misrepresented then that is a different matter.
Mopdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2017   #4

Shingle Springs, California
Paddling Since: 1992
All I can add is Wow!!! Trevko you need to get out of your Mom's basement more often and see how the world works. NOT A SCAM.....Unless of course you need someone to protect you from the big bad raft salesman...Go hit the river more often and lighten up.
Spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017   #5

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Google capitalism
k2andcannoli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017   #6

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
Market Economy

Its a free market. That individual is free to try to sell his gear, however he legally obtained it, for whatever price he thinks he can get. You are free to purchase that gear, at that price, or look elsewhere. You should, however, refrain from making disparaging remarks about someone trying to make a buck. I'm trying to sell some gear, too. Do I need to check in with you before I set a price?
laughing water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017   #7

., Washington, D.C.
Paddling Since: 95
Free Market

Thanks for the heads-up trevko.

Information is at the root of price discovery in a free market.
Pickle-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017   #8

Riverbend, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
Florida guy is the real D-BAG! How many others thought they had a deal to buy a raft from him and then heard nothing. Sack up dude, be a man and at least tell people they sold.
I was ready to pay his seemingly high shipping cost he wanted but apparently his story was that he needed to finish up some lawyer thing with the estate. And then no reply. Florida guy should be 86ed from 'selling' further items!
Ginger Blu Bucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017   #9

Niwot, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
So - i'll pipe up since I'm the "scammer" some folks are referring to. I contacted the person in Florida and arranged for the freight of everything he wanted to sell to the front range. I'm keeping a few of the items and also have friends interested in a couple as well. The rest I put up for sale. I paid for them, arranged for their transport and storage in route. If this makes me a scammer - I apologize. I was trying to make things easy for the seller who was trying to sell off items from his relative's estate.

Again - this was not my intent to scam anyone.

If you want to PM me - you know where I am.
Old 03-01-2017   #10

Niwot, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Oh - adding to the thread - the prices posted on the craiglist "scammer" post, are not at all the prices I paid and definitely not the price I paid to have them shipped. So some of the conclusions are based on incorrect information.