info - kayaker - grand canyon - no permit - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-24-2016   #1

San Jose, CA, California
Paddling Since: 1998
info - kayaker - grand canyon - no permit

Hi MB,

Last week while checking out with the ranger for a kayak self-support Grand Canyon trip the ranger mentioned that they had recently caught a kayaker who had attempted the section without a permit.

I was wondering if anyone in the community had more information on the person's case. He said, that is was related to another speed record break and that they were being extra vigilant following the recent record-breaking trips. He also said they are pushing for a 5-year ban.

All I found googling was this case from 2011: Illegal Boating in Grand Canyon Can Lead to Stiff Fines - Zion Adventures Blog

Thanks,

~B

buckmanriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2016   #2

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2008
Good post. I'm curious about this as well.
tanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016   #3

FC, Colorado
I'm pretty sure the offender was tazed by river patrol while trying to escape then forced to hike out at havasu with all his gear. Or that's what I heard at least.
Shitouta is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2016   #4

San Jose, CA, California
Paddling Since: 1998
Shitouta,

Just curious where you heard this report?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shitouta View Post
I'm pretty sure the offender was tazed by river patrol while trying to escape then forced to hike out at havasu with all his gear. Or that's what I heard at least.
buckmanriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016   #5

FC, Colorado
There was a cryptic news brief about it on the grand canyon NPS site last week but it was only up for a few days and then disappeared. Weird.
Old 02-24-2016   #6

SW, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shitouta View Post
FYI, if you get tazed, you are going straight to jail shortly thereafter. The LEO's do not taze you, then tell you to take a hike. No Way.
fella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016   #7

FC, Colorado
Perhaps the NPS article where I read that was taken down because it contained sensationalist misinformation?
Old 02-24-2016   #8

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I expect that with a hike out at Havasu there's a pretty good chance that he'd be greeted by NPS LEOs at the trailhead up top and given a free ride out of the park. Even if he got to do it solo there probably isn't a clean escape option between starting and finishing the hike. Doubt the guy's name was Heyduke...

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016   #9

Central, TX
The Leg

Buck,

We actually met this guy when our group was camped at Surprise Canyon. He rolled up on us about 45 minutes before sunset, we saw he was paddling solo so we waved him in. He was paddling a Tornado, so I don't think he was attempting a speed run, but he introduced himself as Galdabar Johnson, probably a fake name, but told us his friends called him Spider, so we all called him Spider. Picture the 6'2" version of the statue of David. He told us he was on a 6 day poach and had a really epic story, too long to type, but made for an epic camp fire tale. He said he had rolled up on the Rangers at Pumpkin Springs, told them his tale, gave them his information, and they let him continue his journey with the assurance he would be held accountable at a later date...

Needless to say, we invited him to stay with us, he accepted, and we fed him steak, smoked blunts, and did key bumps as we took turns singing songs around the camp fire. He played songs from some cowboy opera that none of us had ever heard before, one about 24 lbs of Bullets and Steel, which was an awesome tune, but can't find any other recordings of. Anyways the guy ended up sleeping with the TL's daughter, who is hot, even by Texas standards, waking us all up in the middle of the night. The TL didn't even care, I think he was just proud his daughter was hooking up with someone so legendary. He was gone by sunrise. If I ever see him again I will refer to him as The Leg, short for The Legend.
TysonSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016   #10

Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by TysonSmith View Post
Buck,

We actually met this guy when our group was camped at Surprise Canyon. He rolled up on us about 45 minutes before sunset, we saw he was paddling solo so we waved him in. He was paddling a Tornado, so I don't think he was attempting a speed run, but he introduced himself as Galdabar Johnson, probably a fake name, but told us his friends called him Spider, so we all called him Spider. Picture the 6'2" version of the statue of David. He told us he was on a 6 day poach and had a really epic story, too long to type, but made for an epic camp fire tale. He said he had rolled up on the Rangers at Pumpkin Springs, told them his tale, gave them his information, and they let him continue his journey with the assurance he would be held accountable at a later date...

Needless to say, we invited him to stay with us, he accepted, and we fed him steak, smoked blunts, and did key bumps as we took turns singing songs around the camp fire. He played songs from some cowboy opera that none of us had ever heard before, one about 24 lbs of Bullets and Steel, which was an awesome tune, but can't find any other recordings of. Anyways the guy ended up sleeping with the TL's daughter, who is hot, even by Texas standards, waking us all up in the middle of the night. The TL didn't even care, I think he was just proud his daughter was hooking up with someone so legendary. He was gone by sunrise. If I ever see him again I will refer to him as The Leg, short for The Legend.
Yeah this story has to be true
daairguy is offline   Reply With Quote