Ideas on a great camera for a Fall Grand Canyon trip - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-06-2013   #1

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Ideas on a great camera for a Fall Grand Canyon trip

Its been many years since I bought a camera and usually just use my IPhone now. But I am thinking I should buy a mid priced camera for a fall GC trip.

All input is appreciated and I need to keep the cost under $500. What has worked for you down there? Also thinking GO Pro?

SYOTR

J

steepcreeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2013   #2

The Sony NEX series is pretty awesome for a relatively affordable camera. I have the 5n and it can do everything I ask of it. You should be able to set yourself up with one of those for less than $500.
BrianK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013   #3

Salt Lake City, Utah
Sony RX100
MikeSLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2013   #4

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Figure out some of the features you want first. How many mega pixels? Waterproof (almost always means poor low light pictures)? Adjustable f-stop, aperture, ISO etc? Replaceable/aftermarket lenses? Shoot video? Once you kind of know what you're looking for in those more concrete terms, go to a camera shop and play with a few different brands and models that fit the criteria. I've always found Nikon to be the most intuitive for me as far as button location, need to read the owners manual etc. Who knows what brand you'll like.

For reference, I shoot a DSLR and shot about 16gb of photos and went through 3 batteries. Also, Go Pros are great for video, but if you want high quality, printable pictures from the trip get a real camera.
boldtwatermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013   #5

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2007
I was looking at waterproof point and shoot to store in my PDF. I miss a lot of good shots not having it on my body. Looks like the Panasonic Lumix TS5 got really good review and its about $300-$350.
Aroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013   #6

Staghorn Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroberts View Post
I was looking at waterproof point and shoot to store in my PDF. I miss a lot of good shots not having it on my body. Looks like the Panasonic Lumix TS5 got really good review and its about $300-$350.
Problem with Lumix is spare batts. The clones usually don't work and OEMs are $70-80 and take forever to get. Olympus has better service, especially thru B&H. Recommended B&H no matter what you get. Fine service, good reps, been around a long time.
HTH
BCxp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013   #7

East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
I can second the recommendation of B&H in NYC- finest camera mail order service out there.

I have a waterproof Panasonic Lumix- no battery issues (last a LONG time, actually) and it takes good pics. Very happy with it. I've had two Lumix point and shoots- and I'm a longtime Canon fan in DSLRs.... just think Panasonic does it right when it comes to the smaller stuff.
Osseous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013   #8

Staghorn Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
PS: jad a Lumix and my Oly TS2 shoots better and feels better in the hand.
BCxp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera