I bought a dutch oven ...wanna share desert recipes? - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-27-2020   #1

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
I bought a dutch oven ...wanna share desert recipes?

So far ive under cooked hash browns and made eggs squishy in an attempt to make "mountain man" breakfast and i ve waited and waited on cookies that were so so. I am hellbent on learning and ive deceided to make a desert twice a week so i can dial at least one in for trips some day lol. So how about some favorites that are raft trip friendly!? Easy to pre-make dry igredients or simple store bought stuff? Or Grammys recipe that is super delicious! Someday soon we'll all be around a fire and since iam old and skinny- fat i just really like desert after a meal on the river. Thanks in advance if you'd like to participate!!

Pinchecharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2020   #2
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1986
Meet your lord and savior, Cowboy Kent Rollins:
shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020   #3

C. Springs, Colorado
I'll bite.....First off you will need to heat your oven to 350 degrees for most things you cook, like cake. You get that with the right amount of briquets on the top and bottom of the oven. The formula I use is size of oven times 2 for the amount of briquets that is needed to reach 350. So a 12" oven takes 24 briquets to achieve that temperature. To make it hotter or colder you add or subtract 2 briquets per 25 degrees. You put two more briquets on the bottom than the top to get it to cook evenly. So a 12" oven would get 14 briquets on the bottom and 10 on the top. I use a 10" dutch oven to make a cake in so I cook with 20 briquets for an oven temperature of 350 degrees or 12 briquets on the bottom and 8 on top. So here is the formula for briquets one more time. Size of oven x 2 = number of Briquets for 350 degree. Divide that by two and put two more on the bottom and two less on top.

Now for my cake recipe. Take any Betty Crocker super moist cake mix and mix it up in the oven. Substitute the oil or water the recipe calls for with sour cream. Take one can of pie filling and add it to the middle of the mix and leave it or stir it into the mix, your preference. Add briquets to top and bottom of oven and wait until you can smell it before you lift the lid. (Each time you lift the lid it will take longer to cook.) Check to see if it's done with a tooth pick.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2020   #4

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverdan View Post
I'll bite.....First off you will need to heat your oven to 350 degrees for most things you cook, like cake. You get that with the right amount of briquets on the top and bottom of the oven. The formula I use is size of oven times 2 for the amount of briquets that is needed to reach 350. So a 12" oven takes 24 briquets to achieve that temperature. To make it hotter or colder you add or subtract 2 briquets per 25 degrees. You put two more briquets on the bottom than the top to get it to cook evenly. So a 12" oven would get 14 briquets on the bottom and 10 on the top. I use a 10" dutch oven to make a cake in so I cook with 20 briquets for an oven temperature of 350 degrees or 12 briquets on the bottom and 8 on top. So here is the formula for briquets one more time. Size of oven x 2 = number of Briquets for 350 degree. Divide that by two and put two more on the bottom and two less on top.

Also, when you're learning your oven, load it with briquettes (caverdan's ratio is a good one), get it hot, then lift the lid and stick your hand inside. Count backwards 550-500-450-400-35 *ouch*. When you say "Ouch", that is the temperature.

Aluminum dutch ovens also cook hotter than cast iron dutch ovens.

Quote:
Add briquets to top and bottom of oven and wait until you can smell it before you lift the lid. (Each time you lift the lid it will take longer to cook.) Check to see if it's done with a tooth pick.
The smell test is key. You should be sitting around drinking cocktails and eating, your tastebuds and nose will let you know!

I really like brownie mix. Stupid simple. Mix-oil-eggs-water-cook.
Everyone likes hot brownies.

Also, cobbler or crisp. Mix oatmeal, flour, brown sugar at home in a ziploc. In camp, melt butter in the DO, dump half your mix on the bottom and spread it in the melted butter. Then dump in a can of pie filling (or fruit + sugar + corn starch) and then cover it with the other half of the dry mix. Then spread pats of butter on top of that.

Monkey brains are a good one for car camping or at home, but I think they'd be pretty messy on the river.
https://www.jocooks.com/course/desse...monkey-brains/

And bread. Ever bake bread in a dutch oven? It's amazing. it bakes in a wet/steam environment and makes the crust amazingly chewy.
MT4Runner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020   #5

Palisade, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
While you're at it, wow the audience with pineapple upside-down cake. I like this recipe: https://cosmopolitancornbread.com/pi...ide-down-cake/
Easy to mix the dry ingredients ahead of time. Heat the lid with briquettes while the butter and sugar are melting. Don't worry about flipping it out, just scoop to serve.
lisacanoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020   #6

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Do keep your focus on simple. The river is not the place for desserts that take extensive prep or long cook times.

People will be hungry from being in all the fresh air--and drinking--and something quick, sweet and hot will be awesome.

A dish that might be seen as "boring" or people will pass up due to calories at home...will be devoured with no crumbs left in camp.
MT4Runner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020   #7

lafayette or Grand Lake, Depends on mood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
I use a charcoal chart, they are online everywhere if you need one. I place more charcoal on top than bottom, just the opposite of caverdan. If your baking biscuits, Cakes, cookies and can use a elevated cake pan inside the DO, it will keep you from burning the bottom,better heat circulation and easier clean up. Always pre-heat the lid also. I lift and rotate the oven 180 degrees at least once and after rotating the entire oven than I rotate the lid at back the same 180 degrees everything will bake more even if the charcoal is not evenly placed under and on top or if the wind is blowing a little. Cowboy Kent's videos Are a great place to learn from. Using DO aluminum foil liners for pre assembled and frozen meals like lasagna makes it much easier and if they start to thaw a little in the cooler not a messy problem.
Now for a recipe.
Lasagna
Serves 6-8
Meat Prep:
1 lbs cooked hamburger and 1/2 lb Italian sausage slightly browned and drained
1 28oz. can of Cento San Marzano peeled tomatoes or two 14.5oz cans of stewed tomatoes, either crushed by hand
1 12oz. can of Huntes tomato paste
1 tsp garlic salt
1 tsp basil flakes
simmer on low until tomatoes cook down and thicken with the meat
Cottage cheese prep: (while doing meat)
24ozs. cottage cheese
3 eggs
1 tsp garlic salt
1 tsp pepper
1 Tbsp parsley flakes
mix together
Cook 8 lasagna noodles until 1/2 cooked (flex-able, not soft)
In DO liner (in a 9" x 12" pan if cooking at home)
Place a layer of noodles, trimmed to fit 3 or 4
2/5 to 1/2 of cottage cheese
A layer of shredded cheddar cheese, about 4ozs
A layer of shredded mozzarella cheese about 4ozs
A Layer of meat
Repeat the layers
Cover and freeze for later (if cooking in conventional oven bake uncovered)
Thaw as best possible on the river, than cook at 350 degrees F, for 50 if thawed to 90 minutes if frozen or until done. It depends on how hard it is still frozen
Let sit for 10-15 minutes uncovered before serving while you make toasted garlic bread on the griddle (one stick of melted butter and one teaspoon of garlic salt). Mix well and brush on liberally
Old 04-27-2020   #8

lafayette or Grand Lake, Depends on mood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
Make your pineapple upside down cake look pretty, it tastes better.
Cook did not rotate DO to even out heat as you can see.

Below is a chocolate upside down cake recipe

Chocolate Upside Down the River Cake

Cake:
I cup flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 2 teaspoons baking powder, 2/3 cup of sugar, and 1 cup of chopped pecans or walnuts (optional) in as zip lock bag. Mix with 1/2 cup milk, 1 teaspoon vanillia, 1 Tablespoon veggie oil. You can substitute 1/4 cup powdered milk and 1/2 cup water. Pour in 9 inch round greased cake pan.

Frosting:
1/2 cup brown sugar,1/2 cup white sugar and 4 tablespoons of cocoa mixed in a zip lock. Sprinkle over cake batter. Pour one and one quarter cups of boiling water gently on top (do not stir).

Pre heat DO and bake for 40-45 minutes at 350

While it is still hot, place a platter over the cake, quickly and carefully invert the cake. Scrape out any topping remaining in the pan and spread it over the inverted cake.

Serve warm, whipped cream optional.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pineapple cake.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	45651  
Old 04-27-2020   #9

Fresnope (Fresno), California
Paddling Since: 1977
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverdan View Post
You get that with the right amount of briquets on the top and bottom of the oven. The formula I use is size of oven times 2 for the amount of briquets that is needed to reach 350. So a 12" oven takes 24 briquets to achieve that temperature. To make it hotter or colder you add or subtract 2 briquets per 25 degrees. You put two more briquets on the bottom than the top to get it to cook evenly. So a 12" oven would get 14 briquets on the bottom and 10 on the top. I use a 10" dutch oven to make a cake in so I cook with 20 briquets for an oven temperature of 350 degrees or 12 briquets on the bottom and 8 on top. So here is the formula for briquets one more time. Size of oven x 2 = number of Briquets for 350 degree. Divide that by two and put two more on the bottom and two less on top.
You've got the ratio backwards. You put more on top than on the bottom...about 2/3 of the briquettes go on top. My 10" DO is the deep version, and I put an extra 2-4 on top, beyond the ~2/3. Otherwise, cakes and breads burn on the bottom long before they're done. The 2 quart, 8" isn't as picky, but I still put a little more on top. Deep ones need extra on top, beyond what the chart shows.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=...AAAAAdAAAAABAG
KipG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020   #10

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
Nice!!!
Id be stoked for a sourdough bread recipe! Thank you all!
Pinchecharlie is offline   Reply With Quote