I bought a dutch oven ...wanna share desert recipes? - Page 3 - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-28-2020   #21

thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
Pork green chili, place DO directly onto a bed of hot coals, add small chunks of diced pork. Add about three tablespoons of lard, place pork chunks into DO and fry till pork is very crunchy and alot of carmelized juices has formed on bottom of DO(so much flavor). Add a whole diced onion along with about 12 huge garlic cloves, smash garlic with the back side of camp ax or good size rock. Fry onion and garlic for a couple minutes, than add about a pound and half of flamed roasted Hatch green chillies, I get mine from the road side stand's that roast them on the spot. I have them roast the chillies till all the skin is smoking black, gives the chillies a nice smoked flavor, than I remove the skin and seeds at home. The moisture in the green chillies will help release the caramelization from bottom of DO. Add a can of crunched tomatoes, along with a teaspoon full of Oregano. Simmer for about 10 minutes than add a couple tablespoons of cornstarch mixed in water first to thicken chili. Grill boneless chuck steak over very hot coals on both sides to seal in the juces. Slice chuck steak about 1/8 inch thick. Place steak slices into rolled up tortillas. Smother burrito with pork green chili, graded sharp cheddar cheese, sour cream and pre-made guacamole. Green chili only takes about 45 minutes when prepared over very hot DO.

raymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2020   #22

Unincorporated Douglas County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverdan View Post
Your right...I do have it backwards.....more coals on top than bottom.....I blaming it on posting first thing in the morning before coffee.
That just shows the importance of coffee before anything else in the morning.

Having read your posts over the years, I knew that you really did know that more coals need to be on the top.
Old 04-28-2020   #23

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
Thanks for the green chilli recipe, that sounds increasable, it's basically all of my favorite things thrown together in a dutch oven.
Fly By Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2020   #24

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
Someone (maybe you!) Should invite and pay cowboy kent on a trip as cook!!! That would be fun as shit! I bet that okie hillbilly wouldnt be scared of any rapid and yoid be fat and happy and entertained the whole way!! I cant iam poor and iam scared but id volunteer to be a swamper!!
Pinchecharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #25

Bountiful, Utah
Paddling Since: 1978
Here's a super easy cobbler recipe:

1 - open a large can of peaches (or pears, or mix the two if you want) and pour the whole thing, including liquid, into the bottom of the dutch oven

2 - Take a yellow or white cake mix, cut a cube of butter into the cake mix, and sprinkle it on top of the peaches/pears

3 - Cook at 350 or so for 30-45 minutes. You can't really screw it up. It works every time and is a great dessert on the river.

I do as much food prep as possible at home before I leave, so I'll usually put the peaches in a snap-lid tupperware container so I don't have to deal with the can, and I'll mix the butter and cake mix together before I leave as well. If you do those two things at home, prep time on the river is about 3 minutes, then you can sit and relax while it's cooking. I sprinkle cinnamon sugar on top before cooking. I usually throw a can of whipped cream into the cooler. And I use Dutch Oven liners so I don't have to clean.
Matthew73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #26

Centennial, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Chocolate Chip Cake

I was going to do the Pineapple Upside Down Cake as that is deelish! But already taken. Try this very easy Chocolate Chip Cake - can be stirred right in the dutch oven and no need to clean other pans:

1 pkg devils food cake mix
1/4 cup oil
2 eggs
1-1/2 cups water
1 four serving size pkg chocolate instant pudding mix
1 cup chocolate chips
Preheat dutch oven some. Pour oil into it and tilt until bottom is covered. Put remaining ingredients in pan, stir with a fork until blended (about 2 minutes). Bake at 350 degrees for 35-45 minutes with standard coals on top and bottom.
canoekarena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #27
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1986
Tamale Pie has been a go to for me for a couple decades. I make the innards about the same as Cowboy Kent, though I almost always use Sarah Lee cornbread mix for the topping (as you only need to add water to mix it) with green chiles, cheese and bacon bits mixed into the corn bread mix. I also usually put some beens in the innards.

Cowboy Kent makes a masa flour mix for the top that looks very simple:
shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #28
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
Some deep dish pizza pie is also nice

shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #29

Fort Collins, Colorado
Caverdan: do you do a 1:1 substitution on the amount of sour cream?
twmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #30

Fort Collins, Colorado
Nobody has mentioned this, but an important technique I have used when baking cakes and other things you don't want to pour into a hot DO is that you can always pre-heat the lid without pre-heating the whole DO.
twmartin is offline   Reply With Quote