I bought a dutch oven ...wanna share desert recipes? - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-27-2020   #11

Jenks, Oklahoma
Bighorn's post is seconded by me.

My go to DO's are GSI 12's. Reason is on raft trips these hard anodized aluminum units can be washed with the regular dishes and lighter weight. Lodge cast iron I think is great for car camping but require more care than GSI's. Lodge is the best for biscuit and corn bread I think because they heat up and distribute heat better than aluminum. On the other hand, whatever DO material or design a person has or likes can work well on cooking good food. The key success factor is the cook's ability.

Charcoal count for me on my GSI 12's is Total ignited 30 with 8 on the bottom and I just ring the top with the rest. This is loosely based on Dinwiddie Ring Method but based on experience I might add or delete more on the top. Rare to add more on the bottom.

If wind is blowing, cold weather or for biscuits, I double ring the top.

I do the smell test, that is if you start smelling the product, you are close to finishing.
Depending on the recipe, weather and my guesses, I check after a while if no smell test add more charcoals.

Every time you open the lid, heat is lost big time. I try not to over do looking.

If baking, rotation of the lid and bottom can prevent hot spots.

Dutch Oven cooking number of coals is more or an art than science. The way to find out what works for you is start out with what ever base amount of charcoals the Lodge Chart shows for cast iron. Cook the same food, say cobbler again and maybe add or delete a few more charcoals on top.

Nothing is cast in stone on charcoal count. I keep the bottom count pretty low and just load up the top depending on cold, wind, rain etc. to get top browning. Cee Dub taught me that it is easier to correct by adding more charcoals than to fix starting out with way to much heat (especially on the bottom). If possible go to a Cee Dub DO weekend clinic. Highly recommended. As a DO newbie, I did cut the bottom out of several cakes due to burning, but the top part of the cake was very good.

I have both GSI and Lodge DO's. Aluminum and Cast Iron cook differently but the Lodge Chart is a good place to start for both. As mentioned I think the best way to get charcoal count guessed right is experience with your DO's.

My experience with DO cooking no matter what mistakes a person makes, the DO will work pretty good. The more you cook dutch ovens the better you will be. The better you are at DO work, the more river invites you will get.

okieboater is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2020   #12

Unincorporated Douglas County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by KipG View Post
You've got the ratio backwards. You put more on top than on the bottom...about 2/3 of the briquettes go on top. My 10" DO is the deep version, and I put an extra 2-4 on top, beyond the ~2/3. Otherwise, cakes and breads burn on the bottom long before they're done. The 2 quart, 8" isn't as picky, but I still put a little more on top. Deep ones need extra on top, beyond what the chart shows.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=...AAAAAdAAAAABAG

I have to agree with KipG.

12 inch GSI aluminum,16 on top, 8 on the bottom gives you about 350º

Don't lift the lid until you can smell whatever it is you are cooking.

I got this recipe out of a river runner's cookbook. I can't remember her name.

It takes more like 60 minutes to cook. I normally cheap on the frosting and just use store bought Cream Cheese frosting.
2 teaspoons of cinnamon is not enough for me. I go with more like 2 tbsp

The best carrot cake

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
4 eggs
2 cups grated carrots
1 can (8ounces) crushed pineapple drain and save juice
1 cup flaked coconut
1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans toasted if desired

1: Line a 12” Dutch oven with parchment

2: In a large bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Stir in sugar, vegetable oil, eggs, carrots, pineapple, coconut, and walnuts. Pour batter into pan.

3: Bake in Dutch oven for 30 to 40 minutes, or in 350F conventional oven for 45 to 55 minutes. Let cool and frost with Cream Cheese Frosting.

FROSTING
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup confectioner’s sugar

Combine cream cheese, butter, and vanilla; beat until fluffy. Gradually add the confectioner’s sugar. Beat again until smooth.

This cake is always a winner.
Old 04-27-2020   #13

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Lots of great recipes above. When I'm cooking in the desert, I generally like to make things I can eat without having to grind my teeth together due to the grit that often gets into food in the desert. So really soft stuff works best for me...
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2020   #14

lafayette or Grand Lake, Depends on mood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
okieboater built this elevated pan to catch the ash, get off ground, cut down on the effects of a breeze. Yes he can cook, biscuits perfectly browned on the top and bottom which screams for sausage gravy in the morning
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190621_150251_001[2185].jpg
Views:	25
Size:	582.5 KB
ID:	45667  
Old 04-27-2020   #15

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
My go to is Lasagna. You basically make it like you do at home... just make layers of sauce (preferably meat sauce), ricotta cheese (none of that cottage cheese for this guy), no boil lasagna noodles and to make it "healthy" some spinach or other veggies (Zuchini or finely chopped Broccoli work great...I've done carrots and bell peppers too). A layer of mozzeralla cheese on top of it all...and then do a 8-12 charcoal underneath and ring of briquettes around the rim of the DO plus 4 or so in the center. Cool it till its bubbly and nice and the cheese is a bit crispy on top... ~45 minutes.

I've actually found that if you are making a cake or brownies...that partially used briquettes work great. Nice to do a on grillables night, since there are plenty to choose from. Basically, knocking the ashe off of them first, cover the entire top in half used charcoal pieces and the same underneath...and it will gently cook the brownies. Its kind of easy to burn baked goods, and the gentle heat the half used charcoal imparts seems to keep that from happening. I got lazy and didn't want to use new charcoal one day when I made brownies...and I made PERFECT fudgey brownies that didn't stick or burn on.

I do the smell test too... for me...its the second time you smell them that they are done. It'll probably come ~5-10 minutes after the first wiff. Basically, if you are smelling them...the steam inside broke the seal of the top enough to let it out. The second time seems to always correlate with doneness for me.
Electric-Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020   #16

lafayette or Grand Lake, Depends on mood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
I'm dying of boredom which beats the possible alternative, but since I am not allowed out and do not want to risk getting sick anyway a week before the rivers reopen hint, hint. Here is a pretty good corn bread recipe (you need cooler space for butter/eggs only).

DO Corn bread
Pack dry ingredients together in a over sized zip lock bag. Combine eggs, warm milk, honey and melted butter.
Stir together the wet and dry ingredients lightly in the zip lock bag. Pour into well-greased 9" round pan.
Bake @ 425°F for 20-25 minutes until it smells great and is golden brown.

1 cup flour, 1 cup cornmeal, 1 tablespoon baking powder, 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, 1⁄4 cup honey, 2 eggs, 1 cup milk, 1⁄4 cup butter.
If carrying milk is a problem I substitute 1/2 cup powdered milk and hot water.

For fun you can put one slice of red/yellow/green peppers in bottom of cake pan and use the leftovers in salads. Jalapenos are funor a small drained can of corn.
Old 04-27-2020   #17

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Get any cake mix and use a can of soda for the wet ingredients. Mix and cook.

My personal favorite is like a french vanilla cake mix with a orange soda. Turns it into like an orange dreamsicle cake. Root beer with chocolate, coke with chocolate, etc etc etc. Go nuts, super easy and it works 100% of the time. Google it, its a common thing someplaces.

Lasagna is always good and I thought was pretty easy. I think OARS has a youtube video on it that I used when I was teaching myself. There are so many good ones from people on here its honestly your best resource.
theusualsuspect is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020   #18

Pullman, Washington
Paddling Since: 92
I'll bite. Firstly, I laughed at my friend's Dutch voodoo and invented my own. I turn really frequently and will lift the lid to peek, also totally agree on the sniff test.
I like to mix up dry goods ahead of time so I can make real, not from a box brownie, gingerbread (my fav dessert) etc. Just add oil, eggs etc. For crumble or crisp I will rub in the butter at home and store the bagged mix in the cooler. I prefer fresh fruit if possible; apples are super easy to store or late season Salmon R apricots are the best. I just prefer to steer clear of canned and packaged stuff but I still keep it simple and prep is quick, besides my group always want to help who ever is cooking so it gives someone a job to do.

River pizza is the bizz but not for a group, you just can't make enough quickly. I carry my small Dutch in my sea kayak, it just fits through my back hatch. My husband laughs and rolls his eyes until we are eating fresh scones for breakfast and pizza for dinner on some NW island beach.

Seriously, I laughed at the whole Dutch thing for years (decades) as it did not fit my back packing mentality then hubby bought us (me) a small one...... so an evangelizing convert!!
wshutt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020   #19

C. Springs, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by KipG View Post
You've got the ratio backwards. You put more on top than on the bottom...about 2/3 of the briquettes go on top.
Your right...I do have it backwards.....more coals on top than bottom.....I blaming it on posting first thing in the morning before coffee.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020   #20
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1986
Your Lord and Savior provides for you - Beans Beans the work of Art (i've made this recipe several times).
shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote