Green River Recommendations - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-01-2016   #1

Northfield, Massachusetts
Green River Recommendations

Any experience with/recommendations for outfitters for floating the Green? Coming from New England, we will need to rent canoe or kayaks. Will need help with shuttle, also. Also, best months? FWIW, we are experienced whitewater boaters and semi-experienced backpackers, but have never gone tripping (er, this kind of tripping). Thanks!

k1c1w is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2016   #2

I am guessing you are talking labyrinth/ Stillwater canyon. Tag-a-long does a great job and does jet backs to Moab from the confluence. You will need a permit to go in to canyon lands but they are easy to get.
oarboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016   #3
The Russian

SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
Ya, which part of the green you are looking to float?

A&B (Below the dam)
Gates of Lodore
Desolation/Grey canyon
Labyrinth/Stillwater (flat)

All of those sections require a permit of some sort. A&B you want camping reservations, Lodore is a pita to get, Deso is a bit easier, Stillwater is a walk-in permit. If you are running commercially, then you don't need to worry about permits.

All major outfitters will provide a shuttle and a fun experience.
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2016   #4

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
Green permits - Deso and Lodore

I have an April Desolation Canyon and a September (Labor Day weekend) Lodore. Let's talk if you're interested in some Green River permitted action! Looking for folks with boats, a know-how of how to get them down a river, and good attitudes.
micronam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016   #5
The Russian

SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by micronam View Post
I have an April Desolation Canyon and a September (Labor Day weekend) Lodore. Let's talk if you're interested in some Green River permitted action! Looking for folks with boats, a know-how of how to get them down a river, and good attitudes.
Lodore during Labor Day weekend is still considered a high season permit. You can only go on 1 high season per year and it's split between Yampa and Lodore. High season is between Memorial and Labor days. Just FYI

April Deso and Sept Lodore are easy waters, just point your boat down and enjoy the ride
Old 03-03-2016   #6

Golden, Colorado
...which is why I just bailed off of my scheduled Yampa trip. Sad, but it's worth the Labor Day launch and spared vacation time
Old 03-03-2016   #7

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
Quote:
Originally Posted by micronam View Post
...which is why I just bailed off of my scheduled Yampa trip. Sad, but it's worth the Labor Day launch and spared vacation time
Jeez, I want some of your permit mojo.
duct tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016   #8

Golden, Colorado
Strategy! I got Deso the day the permit lottery opened (for the last weeekend before high use started), got Lodore in the follow up at 8am sharp, and got invites on Yampa and the Grand cause I don't shut up about boating!!! I'm a lucky and very strategic boater! Just love being on the water!!!

That being said, my usual crew is doing Yampa, so they can't join Lodore - hence looking for boaters to share it with. Love that place.