Mountain Buzz banner

Grand Canyon waypoints for Inreach Explorer

6K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Infidien 
#1 ·
Hi all- I have a Garmin Inreach Explorer + and I want to put waypoints into it, for the Grand- Lees ferry to Diamond Creek. Either campground locations, or mileage points (or ideally both). Rivermaps have a .gpx file that they allow people to download- but when I try to upload it into my account, I get the message that there is a maximum of 500 waypoints allowed, and the file includes 699... (each mile marker to about 290, plus rapids, camps, etc). Anyone know how I can get at least basic waypoints into the machine (without adding each one, one by one)?
Thanks

#2 ·
Kind of getting old school these days. If you have a phone or tablet with GPS capability subscribe to the OnX Hunting app, download the area for off grid use and all those put ins, campsites, most named rapids on permit rivers, side canyons, trails, etc are already there. Your exact location shows up as a blue dot (like google maps) on detailed satellite imagery. It’s an amazing app for river runners these days.

OnX started and is mainly geared towards hunters navigating private and public lands, which is how I started with them, but they have expanded over the years and it’s beyond priceless for a stupid easy,precise way to follow progress on a river now, too. It’s a scalable subscription service by state or just get every state in their one elite memberships. Worth every penny if you are outdoorsy at all.

Screenshot examples...

Attachments

#5 ·
I just came up against the same problem and found a nice program to essentially do the upper canyon above Phantom as one .gpx file and below Phantom as another. Worked great.

I put them on my google drive and you can find them here...

Above Phantom -

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GVm9ZQXPiucAZ9Yc5qnVmFHMhKEe5GSK/view?usp=sharing

Below Phantom -

https://drive.google.com/file/d/10lqNtZliN1CRdAIVkm29ESSgu-h9qobA/view?usp=sharing

No idea how long the links will last but maybe they can help someone out. I leave for a trip in a few days and it will be nice to have them just in case.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.