Grand Canyon 2019 - 42 Launch Dates Available Now! - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-10-2018   #1

Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1869
Grand Canyon 2019 - 42 Launch Dates Available Now!

This is from the Grand Canyon River Permits Office. Good luck to everyone!

We have just opened a follow-up lottery for 2019 launch dates at the weighted lottery website (https://grcariverpermits.nps.gov). The lottery will accept applications until Thursday, April 12, 2018, at 12:00 PM (noon) Mountain Standard Time. The available launch dates are:

Standard Size Trips (1 - 16 people):
January 2019: 5, 9, 11, 13, 15, 18, 24, 31
February 2019: 1, 3, 6, 8, 11, 19, 21, 24, 28
March 2019: 2, 3, 7, 18, 24, 28, 31
April 2019: 24
May 2019: 26
June 2019: 9, 27
July 2019: 7, 29
October 2019: 6, 29
November 2019: 2, 25
December 2019: 7, 8, 13, 15, 22, 29

Small Size Trips (1 - 8 people):
July 2019: 6, 28

Winners will have until Friday, April 13, 2018, at 12:00 PM (noon) Mountain Standard Time to pay their nonrefundable deposits ($400 for standard size trips, $200 for small size trips).

We strongly recommended all lottery applications list at least one Potential Alternate Trip Leader (PATL). If the original trip leader becomes unable to go on the river trip, and there are no confirmed PATLs, the trip will be cancelled. PATLs can be added to a river trip by the trip leader only when submitting a lottery application; see Noncommercial River Trip Regulations for clarification.

The Grand Canyon National Park River Office is open Monday to Friday. Emails and phone calls received on a weekend will not be replied to until Monday.

FORGOT YOUR PASSWORD? You can request a new temporary password by clicking "Forgot my username and/or password" (located below the login box) when on the noncommercial river website. IMPORTANT: The worst time to request a password reset is during the first few hours after a lottery notification email has been sent. The email with your new temporary password will not go out until all lottery notification emails have been sent.

To unsubscribe from lottery notification emails:
- login to your river profile at https://grcariverpermits.nps.gov
- click on "Edit Personal Information"
- in the "Consent to Receive Emails" section, uncheck the boxes
- at the bottom of the page, click on "Submit Changes"

Sincerely,
Grand Canyon River Permits Office

================================================== =================

Grand Canyon National Park River Permits Office Contact Information

Phone: 800-959-9164 (toll free)
928-638-7843 (optional non-toll-free number to same line)

Fax: 928-638-7844

Mail: National Park Service
Grand Canyon River Permits
1824 S. Thompson St., Suite 201
Flagstaff, AZ 86001

email: [email protected]
IMPORTANT: do not email personally identifiable information, such as date of birth or payment details.

Websites:
River Information: www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/whitewater-rafting.htm
Available Launch Dates: www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/cancelled-dates.htm
Noncommercial River Trip Regulations: https://grcariverpermits.nps.gov/pdf/Noncommercial_River_Trip_Regulations.pdf
Frequently Asked Questions: https://grcariverpermits.nps.gov/pdf/River_and_Weighted_Lottery_FAQs.pdf
Statistics From Past Lotteries: www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/noncommercial-riv-docs.htm
Noncommercial River Website: https://grcariverpermits.nps.gov
Password Reset: https://grcariverpermits.nps.gov/forgotLogin.cfm

Twitter: twitter.com/GCRiverPermits

GCPBA RiverNews is a service of Grand Canyon Private Boaters Association.
Join and Support GCPBA. Visit our website www.gcpba.org.
We are on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1424392787831584

Advertisement

Old 04-10-2018   #2
no tengo

Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
I really have a beef with these getting posted here every single time. some of us are signed up to get the notices and have tried every lottery and followup in the last five years, then some newb sees this post of yours and wins. sorry I guess I am a bitter.
mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018   #3

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1988
I'm not bitter, but do make my yearly donation to the lottery and wonder if its necessity to repost to a public forum a notice sent to those who support/subscribe to the GC permit system.

That said....if it weren't for newbs getting these permits then dropping the ball, how would a long-time loser like me ever score in these follow-ups?
waterdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2018   #4
no tengo

Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
what I really hate is "hey everyone in the world look look there is a rec.gov permit for x at time y go on and start clicking!"

yeah no kidding some of us check every day and are serious about this. the people that really want the permit cancellations know when and how to look for them.

mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018   #5

It's nice to see the two dates my group won but didn't confirm go back to the public. It's always sad to drop a potential Grand launch - much less two at once - but that's a problem you have to deal with when your permit party pulls three Grand permits in the main lottery. (I think we may have used up all of our luck in one lottery)

Also, I agree - I always get mad when I see these posted online. If people want to know about follow-up lotteries they should sign up for the emails. Why make it harder to pick up a cancellation?
BrianK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018   #6

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
This thread as been hijacked by people complaining about providing public information.

I believe GCPBA goal is to make sure all private dates get used so there isn't an excuse to give more trips to commercials.
Fumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018   #7

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1988
No, if it was an issue about public information then these would posted in a more appropriate place like the Access & Safety forum. And demand is not the issue when it comes to the economics of rivalrous, excludable public goods.
waterdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018   #8

Bellingham, Washington
Paddling Since: 1998
I have no problem with this announcement on Mountain Buzz because if you're already here on the site, then you are probably a boater. Maybe still a newbie, but someone who is committed to this sport/lifestyle.

What I hate to see is when non-boaters are encouraged to sign up for permit lotteries, just because "they're outdoors people" and wilderness rivers are awesome, so why shouldn't everyone in the world put in for a permit? Here's a perfect example from Sierra Magazine: https://www.sierraclub.org/sierra/20...teries-america

Not once do they mention that you actually need to have some river experience and knowledge and skill to do this trip. It's just, "Hey, look everybody! Here's how to win a highly sought after wilderness river permit! Anybody can do it, so come on down and get yours while supplies still last!"
landslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018   #9

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
This whole supplemental Lottery is a hoax.

Do not apply, it is just a scheme to get your information so it can be sold.

I have really good anti-info harvesting software on my computer so I might give it a whirl but I do not recommend anyone else even try.
Daryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018   #10

I really doubt what few it adds to the lottery by posting it here diminishes your chances by any measurable amount.
panicman is offline   Reply With Quote