Good Camping Near Hood River? - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-16-2013   #1

Uzbekibekistanstan, Mississippi
Good Camping Near Hood River?

Today on the river, we were talking about a fall trip to Hood River. It reminded us of a past trip. We ended up staying at a KOA on the Washington side (had to pay a toll to cross the toll bridge both ways), and it set us back over $20 to camp next to a railroad track, the interstate, with one additional railroad track on the other side of the Columbia River. My question is: is there good free, quiet camping within reasonable close proximity of Hood River that is not next to the interstate or railroad tracks? It would be great to do another trip out there, but I don't want to repeat camping next to the railroad. It reminds me of the old days getting ready to run Gore, without any sleep. Thanks in advance!

Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2013   #2

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
free? don't think so. there is a state park on the OR side but its next to the freeway and the tracks. There is tucker campground which is nice with some spots near the river but that is a county park and there is a fee. If you arrive late and are running the White Salmon (just need one night) you can probably poach a spot in the parking / launch area in BZ. I doubt if no overnight camping is enforced. i don't know of any other good spots --- we usually stay at Tucker if we are going to make a weekend out of it ...
Old 10-17-2013   #3

Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post
free? don't think so. there is a state park on the OR side but its next to the freeway and the tracks. There is tucker campground which is nice with some spots near the river but that is a county park and there is a fee. If you arrive late and are running the White Salmon (just need one night) you can probably poach a spot in the parking / launch area in BZ. I doubt if no overnight camping is enforced. i don't know of any other good spots --- we usually stay at Tucker if we are going to make a weekend out of it ...
No camping in BZ is enforced. With all the dirtbags putting in there it HAS to be!

Tucker Campground is actually pretty nice, and there is a putin at the campground.
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2013   #4

Canberra, OZ
Paddling Since: 2003
There's a dirtbag campsite at the Buck Creek trailhead. no water, but there's an outhouse.
yakkeranna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013   #5

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
There's a couple nf campsites up past the little white put in.. Could be closed this time of year. Was closed in early May
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013   #6

Salida, 81201
Paddling Since: 1995
Tucker county park is a great campground. On Dee Hwy 281 about 3 -4 miles past the airplane museum. Right next to the Hood River. There is a camp fee can't remember cost. Google Hood River and follow Tucker road/Dee Hwy 281 to the campground.
thinksnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013   #7

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
The White Salmon Inn has hostel beds from $25 to $40. Not camping though.
Claytonious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013   #8

Uzbekibekistanstan, Mississippi
Thanks for all of the great suggestions! Keep 'em coming, if you have more.
Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013   #9

Frisco, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Check out Sherwood Campground off hwy 35. Just camped there last week. Its a National forest campground but its free this time of the year. Only 35 min from Hood River with a few really nice sites on the river
yooper23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013   #10

vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1996
I think we backpack camped into Warren lake on the Mark Hatfield Trail. There was a gravel road that intersected the trail so it was only like a mile hike. Probably couldn't find the road again as I wasn't driving at the time. Beautiful lake, nobody there. Free with the forest trail park. Maybe 15 min drive from hood river. Research it
slamkal is offline   Reply With Quote