Gila Has Dreamflows? - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-16-2017   #1

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2013
Gila Has Dreamflows?

Didn't feel like starting a 4th Gila flow thread but was told my last one was too old.

Not sure if anyone else compulsively checks the Gila flows like I do but it has been so amazing I'm almost skeptical. Christmas the gauge spiked to an unbelievable level and has stayed at low runnable since. Saturday night it started rising again. Is it runoff? It looks like a major precipitation event will happen across the southwest this weekend as well. If this is runoff how long will it be sustained?

Does anybody have eyes on the ground down in NM that can verify whether this is all real and will be sustained or is it a dream and the gauges just busted like mad? I would like a positive confirmation before I cancel lecture the first week of the semester.

Any takers if this is for real?

almortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2017   #2

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
It's definitely real. I have been watching it closely as well and the flows are coinciding with moisture events. It must be saturated because flows have been sustained much longer than in an average year. I'm currently in the process of trying to put together a self support trip to the region and if current patterns hold, timing will be much more flexible than usual. Get on it now if you have a chance. Who knows when the pattern will change.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017   #3

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2011
Gila Trip

Hey Guys - I'm in Santa Fe and would love to join a Chama trip. I have a 14.5' raft - do you think it's doable with a boat this big? I've read about folks taking a 12' down. Let me know your plans!
sullyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2017   #4

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1989
Quote:
Originally Posted by sullyP View Post
Hey Guys - I'm in Santa Fe and would love to join a Chama trip. I have a 14.5' raft - do you think it's doable with a boat this big? I've read about folks taking a 12' down. Let me know your plans!
I've done the Chama a couple times in a 14' cataraft, but you'll want at least 800cfs for it to be at a good level. I've done it with less, but don't recommend it.
stuntmansteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017   #5

Edgewood..., Not New...Not Mexico
Paddling Since: 0930
The Gila has been surging off an on lately in response to rain events and being too warm down here for snow. This rain is melting off what little there was of the high country snows - thats where that 17,000cfs flash came from that we heard about back in Dec. The later we get and closer to spring, the less chance for keeping any snow up high so everything hits as rain and runs off. The snowpack above the watersheds of the Gila are just not there, as its only been rain

A buddy and I packrafted it last year in late Feb. early March on about 300cfs and it was already declining by the day at that time so I would suggest the sooner the better. Also, regarding rafts, that might be a tough run given the amount of debris that has piled up. Lots of mega fires in the Gila over the last few years have changed things quite significantly. My thoughts from last years river conditions told me that in the future, big rafts on the Gila may be reduced to memory or a lot of hard work if you do, and if you do, go light and take a saw with you! IK's and packrafts are the way to see it
Livenswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017   #6

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2011
Thanks!
sullyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017   #7

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
I could totally be talked into an IK run down this. Leaving Sat....returning to Denver by Wed night....doable?

-Josh
J. Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017   #8

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Thompson View Post
I could totally be talked into an IK run down this. Leaving Sat....returning to Denver by Wed night....doable?

-Josh
Very, very tempting. Trying to rally locals right now, and I'm stoked on the possibility. Flows are perfect right now, but headed to flood this weekend. Could be an epic quick trip with super fast heads up wood scouting. I'm hoping to join a hardshell/packraft/ducky self support. Drive down Friday night, boat Saturday and Sunday, take out and or just drive back Monday....

Check this weather forecast. 90% chance of snow Friday into Saturday... and I read the aggressive models were predicting 2.5-3.5" of moisture...

Logan
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017   #9

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2013
I can't do it this weekend but if the flows are adequate next weekend (27th) we will either float Fri-Sun. or Sat.-Mon with marathon through the night driving. My lower threshold for loading the car and leaving Fort Collins is 600+ dependent on how sustained the flows seem. Last time paddling out the last day at <300 sucked in my 10 ft. raft.
Holler if these dates are feasible to anyone.
almortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017   #10

Steamboat, Colorado
Did anyone end up running it?