GC - 50 Years Ago Floods Roared Down Crystal and Bright Angel Creeks - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Boaters Forum | General Boating Topics

Old 12-06-2016   #1

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
GC - 50 Years Ago Floods Roared Down Crystal and Bright Angel Creeks

Full Article Here

From the article:

Quote:
December 3 to 7, 2016 will mark fifty years since a giant flood roared down Crystal Creek (and many others) in the Grand Canyon. Nothing like it has been observed ever since and as we mark this historic anniversary, I thought it would be nice to set the record straight on what is known and what is not known about this great flood. We all know that Crystal Creek Rapid was enlarged to become one of the “big three” rapids in Grand Canyon. But through the years, enough rounds of “telephone” regarding the dimensions of the flood, what was affected, and how much water was involved, have perhaps obscured what really happened. Data for this flood comes from USGS Professional Paper 980, published in 1977 by Maurice Cooley, B. N. Aldridge, and Robert Euler (Euler contributed results regarding the effects of the flood on archaeological resources).

The storm that produced the flood was regional in scope and affected all of southwestern Utah, southern Nevada, northern Arizona, and southeastern California. Each of these four states saw major flooding and although the North Rim area received the most precipitation at Grand Canyon, not all of the drainages between Saddle Canyon and Deer Creek felt the brunt of this powerful storm. The South Rim also did not receive as much precipitation, just ten miles to the south. At the time of the storm, there was very little snowpack on the North Rim. There was zero snow on the ground at both Grand Canyon Village and at Jacob Lake, and only an estimated 4 to 6 inches blanketed the ground on the North Rim in early December and only a trace of snow fell during the storm. The last significant precipitation before the December event was on November 8 and 9, 1966 and it can be inferred that at the time of the big rain, the ground was moist but not completely saturated.
Full Article Here

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2016   #2

Colo Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Thanks Andy. I'm going to pass this on to others.
David L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016   #3

Ridgway, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Crystal at 30k!

Thanks for that great article. The mighty C is awesome at 30k it's hard to fathom Crystal creek at 30k!
ciggyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2016   #4

Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1992
"We all know that Crystal Creek Rapid was enlarged to become one of the “big three” rapids in Grand Canyon."

I'm trying to figure out which rapid the article is referring to as the the third rapid in the "the big three" trifecta. Hance? Hermit? Granite? Horn? I guess I'd vote in that order since Hance nearly ate me up last time down (so did Dubendorf, for that matter...)
Old 12-08-2016   #5

Colo Springs, Colorado
One opinion is the "big three" are Granite, Hermit, and Crystal since they are so close together.
Old 12-08-2016   #6

Bend, Oregon
Ahhh, that makes sense. I was having trouble condensing 280 miles of the Grand Canyon into three big rapids, but Granite/Hermit/Crystal all being basically one after another in one day fit that description.
Old 12-08-2016   #7

Fort Fun, Colorado
Paddling Since: 94
That is one opinion.

For me it was all based on pucker factor- Hance, Crystal, Lava. Horn at low water gets added.

The lateral at Crystal mellowed by the mid to late 90's you didn't really have to worry too much about getting surfed into the hole- but the penalty for failure is the rock garden.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
trevko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016   #8

Bend, Oregon
I was just wondering how the author could reduce all the big boys over the entire 280-mile length of the Grand Canyon into an assumed consensus "big three". My thinking went: 1) Lava; 2) Crystal; 3) Take your pic of 1/2 dozen potential candidates, depending on flow. I just couldn't stop scratching my head wondering what the author thought #3 would be on the entire canyon. It makes more sense to me just in context of that magic stretch of the inner granite gorge with Granite, Hermit and Crystal lined up in short order.
Old 12-09-2016   #9

cedar city, Utah
Yeah, Big 3 is a really rough goal. Crystal and Lava seem obvious to me but the 3rd is a tie with a half dozen other rapids. Hance is my personal nemesis: wife low-sided first time going down the now-closed off left side which led to some tense moments; I botched entry on center run the second trip which led to a very long Plan D run though a few big features. That said, rapids like Bedrock offer horrible consequences for a fully loaded expedition rig and other unique rapids like Granite can throw a monkey wrench into the best laid plans.

If Pearce was still in play it would trump even Lava.
restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016   #10

Colo Springs, Colorado
If three rapids all in one short stretch are a Big Three, then we also have:

Hance, Sock, and Grapevine, and a few in the 20's, from about 23 to 25, are some big ones.