French Press Coffee Maker? - Mountain Buzz

Old 1 Week Ago   #1

Colo Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
French Press Coffee Maker?

Any recommendations of a good french press coffee maker? I've seen a lot of variability on Amazon and elsewhere. Bonus points if you can show me a good one to buy on Amazon. thx

David L is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #2

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
Hey Dave,

Have you tried using a Malita filter making coffee directly into a carafe. They make a holder that plugs into thermos's and caraffe's. I've found that approach is cleaner since you simply throw away the filter(no grounds to deal with or in wash water) and stays hot a long time as long as you have a good thermos or carafe.

However, I know that most people have preferred ways, some people even like twice boiled cowboy coffee.
GeoRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #3

Colo Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Thanks Ron, I'd forgotten about that method. That's very simple.
David L is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #4

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
There is a recipe for my "opinion" about making river coffee here.

https://rrfw.org/RaftingGrandCanyon/Coffee
GeoRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #5

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Dave,

I'm a fan of Aeropress coffee, you can brew high-strength batches and then add hot water for about a quart of good coffee.

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #6

SLC, Utah
I found this at Walmart and love it. It's perfect for just the GF and me. I believe it makes 32 oz. All self-contained. Boil the water in it, add the grounds, stir, put in the filter/press and push it down (after steeping, of course .
I'm not crazy about the handle, but the all-in-one aspect is awesome.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Stanley-A...s-SS/887740598
blueotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #7
My name isn't Will

Willamette Valley, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1997
I have a 2.5 liter stainless steel airpot and a #6 coffee cone. The airpot is a Stanley, but the cone doesn't really sit on it well. The hole is too small. My friend made me a "coffee gasget" out of cedar that sits on the airpot and holds the cone. It really doesn't take that long to make a pot of coffee. It's easy to make a partial pot if you need more but not a whole pot. I have one of those metal mesh coffee filters, but it only really works with a little coarser grind. For paper filters, I often let them dry on a rock briefly before tossing them in the trash - just to save weight and reduce moisture in the garbage. I apply some mineral oil to the gasket from time to time to help prevent splitting since it is cedar. Neither the wood or the oil add any perceptible flavor to the coffee. I drink it black, so I would know.

Click image for larger version

Name:	cof1.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	42467

Name:	cof2.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	42469

Name:	cof3.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	42471

Makes mighty fine coffee. If you have coffee left, it will stay warm at least through lunch. It's best if you have a way to keep the airpot upright, because otherwise coffee can leak into the mechanism and start to taste funky. Handy solution.

Another method that someone in our group uses is the coffee socks or pre-sewn bags as described in the link that Ron posted. Their difference is that they put the coffee sock in a kettle of COLD water the night before. In the morning, you just heat it to near boiling, and it's really good. Nice extraction, and really tasty coffee.

I was on a trip last year where we used a percolator. The person who offered to be in charge of coffee thought my airpot method took too damn long. Percolators can make good coffee, but I think it takes MUCH longer, and it takes a bit more fuel as you have to keep it cooking. I asked the guy how long he perks. He said, "Just until it turns brown." It turns out, he is not a coffee drinker. Lucky for me I keep a stash of Starbuck's instant coffee in my kit in case camp coffee needs to be doctored because... that wasn't coffee; it was brown water! I actually keep a stash of grounds, a personal sized #2 cone, some filters, and even a backpack stove in my kit. I made the best cup of coffee I had in a week while sitting on my boat as we motored out to Leslie Gulch. Mmmmmmm.

I've also done the cowboy coffee in a kettle, then strain the coarse grounds out with a metal strainer into a thermal bottle. The coffee is just ok. With cowboy coffee OR with a coffee press, the coffee keeps brewing in the thermos because you can't get all the fine grounds out. Using a paper filter means the coffee stops brewing when it leaves the filter. Paper filters also remove cafestol, and cafestol has been linked to high cholesterol.

How's that for totally NOT answering your question about coffee presses, other than that they let the coffee keep brewing and leave the cafestol in?
Old 1 Week Ago   #8

Ellensburg, Washington
Paddling Since: 1982
Guess a JetBoil is too old-fashioned? That's been my go-to for years.
GOTY2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #9
faja

Eugene, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
@David L
You don't say what capacity you are looking for. I use a Stanley for small groups (and at home). For large groups we use a drip system into a insulated jug. The has a tap.
fajawiebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #10

Fruita, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2014
when I am making for a large (more than 10) group, I will boil water in my giant coffee pot (1.5 gal) on the blaster, remove from a boil, and place the equivalent amount of coarse ground coffee into a paint strainer sock (https://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-1-ga...36WF/202061359) and in 5 minutes you have well steeped easy coffee without any grounds in the pot.
dump the grounds in the trash and rinse inside out in the dishwash...
T.O.Mac is offline   Reply With Quote