French Press Coffee Maker? - Page 3 - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Boaters Forum | General Boating Topics

Old 1 Week Ago   #21

Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2011
We use the 50oz GSI French press. Itís made of lexan and wrapped in neoprene. Comes in different sizes. A bit spendy but good for our group
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	990B7FC5-3561-4A36-900C-A8EA24325E3B.jpeg
Views:	14
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	42563  

Norcalcoastie is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #22

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
https://planetarydesign.com/

The large size works well for our group. They had previously made one as a branded REI item (that's the one I have) but looks to be discontinued.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Table-Top-French-Press-large-silver-3.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	42565  
kwagunt2001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #23

thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
I don't own a French Press, but have had a great cup of coffee from one. On a few trips, someone would pull one out of their gear box and just use the regular Folgers coffee and for some reason it tasted richer. My go to coffee is from a good size percolator coffee pot, placed on a single burner colman white gas stove, setup on a small end table by the river, no better way to start the morning, standing by the river and a hot cup of Joe. I think I may pick one up, never thought about it till seeing this post. One of the best cups of coffee I have had, was dark roasted Cuban coffee while enjoying one of their cigar's.
raymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #24

jgrebe - I checked out the cold brew filter you listed. I like the idea for home use, but don't you end up with the same mess of coffee grounds in the cold brew filter as you would in a french press?

As far as the original post goes, I use a percolator with a paper filter holding the coffee. Makes for easy clean up, but I will say it's not the fastest way to make coffee. I might try the pour through cone and see how that works out. I like the idea of having left-over hot water for cocoa, tea, dishes...etc.
HitMcG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #25

Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1970
Quote:
Originally Posted by HitMcG View Post
jgrebe - I checked out the cold brew filter you listed. I like the idea for home use, but don't you end up with the same mess of coffee grounds in the cold brew filter as you would in a french press?

As far as the original post goes, I use a percolator with a paper filter holding the coffee. Makes for easy clean up, but I will say it's not the fastest way to make coffee. I might try the pour through cone and see how that works out. I like the idea of having left-over hot water for cocoa, tea, dishes...etc.
No, not really, all the grounds are inside the tube so you just dump it in the trash and rinse it. NBD. Suppose it's not as clean as a disposable filter but a LOT easier than cleaning up a pot of cowboy grinds.
jgrebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #26

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcalcoastie View Post
We use the 50oz GSI French press. It’s made of lexan and wrapped in neoprene. Comes in different sizes. A bit spendy but good for our group
I have the smaller GSI press. Works well, but it’s really not large enough for group use.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #27

plainfield, New Jersey
Paddling Since: 1995
We just got an aeropress, and holy cow it is an amazing cup of coffee, quick too, and then we just compost the grounds. I was doing pourovers through a plastic funnel, but, now we are aeropressing.
jerseyjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #28

Arnold, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyjeff View Post
We just got an aeropress, and holy cow it is an amazing cup of coffee, quick too, and then we just compost the grounds. I was doing pourovers through a plastic funnel, but, now we are aeropressing.

I like the Aeropress, but gotta do several batches to fill my cup.
Old 1 Week Ago   #29

Telluride, Colorado
Best press hands down ESPRO but extremely inefficient for rivers or camping. Get a nut bag/cheese cloth and fill with grinds and soak it with the hot water. Same concept, hot water mixed with coffee grinds filtered out. But way less stuff to haul, less cleanup, less stuff to destroy, easy to make large amounts.
benrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #30

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Frieling makes the best French Press. ALL stainless steel including the screen and insulated.
Losthwy is offline   Reply With Quote