Dutch Oven Hot Dish Recipes - Page 4 - Mountain Buzz

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #31

salmon, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
my go to river dinner used to be jambalaya. Then i got my brother in law into rafting and he has a shrimp allergy. i suppose i could have him dish up right before i add the shrimp.

I also do lasagna but I do a cream cheese lasagna.
12 inch dutch
1.5lbs of burger
1.5 lbs hot Italian sausage
1 box of oven ready lasagna noodles
2 to 3 boxes of cream cheese
1lb mozzarella
1 green pepper
1 red pepper
8oz sharp cheddar.
2 jars red sauce

brown burger and sausage, and throw in diced peppers and simmer for a bit and drain liquid. add sauce. start with base layer of meat mix, add layer of noodles, then cream cheese. "heat cream cheese in sun to make workable", add mozzarella layer. then repeat. on top layer add sharp cheddar. 375 for 45 min to an hour. add extra coals on top towards the end to get a bit of a crust.

Tatter tot casserole,
best earlier in the trip as tater tots can get mushy and soggy.

brown burger, add cream of chicken, cream of mushroom, and green beans. top with tater tots and bake. add cheddar cheese last 10 minutes or so.

chicken pot pie.

dice and cook chicken. add mostly cooked egg noodles, cream of chicken, cream of mushroom soup, a bag of frozen mixed veggies. top with either Pillsbury crescent rolls or biscuits. I prefer the crescent rolls as its easier, sometimes the biscuits will be a bit doughy, a little extra heat on top can fix this.

I made lasagna this weekend again per the wife's request. When it's 16 degrees outside you need a lot more coals lol.

When i do lasagna i pair it with beer bred in a 10" dutch,

This is really simple as long as you have seen it once. you need 2 to 3 warm beers. mix with self rising flour until you get the right consistency "thicker than pancake batter but not bread dough". put the top on it and let it rise in the sun for 30 minutes. then bake 350 for 30 to 45 minutes. I start this well before my lasagna because you want it to cool before you cut it do it does not crumble.

codycleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #32

lafayette or Grand Lake, Depends on mood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNichols View Post
Well, you're only warming it up, is already cooked, I've used just a partner stove set on low to reheat. You could use coals too, I don't see how it would matter.
Reheating from the top and bottom at the same time is faster and more even, less chance of burning the bottom while the top is still cold
Old 1 Week Ago   #33

Loveland, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990

Guaranteed to start an arguement!
John_in_Loveland is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 17 Hours Ago   #34

Huntington, West Virginia
Paddling Since: 1979
Dutch Oven Recipes! What a category! Where to begin? I am a hunter, angler, and cook as many of you are. I'm also a huge fan of chef Hank Shaw and his blog, Hunter
Angler Gardener Cook. Something that Hank covers a lot in his blog is, "loving the unloved". So many foods, (especially when it comes to wild game), get overlooked or even scoffed at. In my opinion, this happens because of negative food experiences with those items. It doesn't have to be though. That being said, here's an easy solution for what to do with that goose that's growing frost in the freezer!

Goose Yankee Pot Roast

Ingredients:

2 boneless/ skinless Canada, (or other specie), Goose breasts
2 cups carrots peeled and chopped

2 medium onions quartered
3-4 cloves of garlic minced
6-8 small russet potatoes washed and quartered, (peeled is optional)
4-6 cups stock, (may use chicken, beef, pork, but goose stock is ideal)
3-4 bay leaves
2 sprigs of rosemary
4 sprigs of thyme
Salt and Pepper to taste

Directions: The key to making this dish special is to cut your goose breasts into roughly 1.5" - 2" squares. Skewer the meat, season with salt and pepper and grill over coals until charred on all sides. This step is optional but it really makes the dish and will lend a smokey flavor to everything. Put all the ingredients except for the potatoes in the dutch oven. Simmer on low heat for 3+ hours, (I've gone as long as 24, you may need to add stock or water if opting for the latter). Put the potatoes in only for the last hour or so of cooking so they don't break down too much. You may inform your diners that the meat is goose, or leave them to assume that it's beef if you like, (they probably won't notice the difference if you don't tell them). Serve with crusty bread for sopping. This goes well with either cold beer or red wine!

Note: Just like many others this dish can be made in advance and frozen and reheated at a later date, even over a camp fire!
wvjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Hours Ago   #35

lafayette or Grand Lake, Depends on mood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
Beef Stew on the river

Ingredients:

⦁ 2 1/2 pounds lean stewing beef, cut into 1/2 cubes
⦁ 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
⦁ 6-9 small red potatoes (cut into 1/2 cubes leaving the skin on)
⦁ 3-4 carrots cut into 1/4 slices
⦁ 1 large yellow onion, diced
⦁ 2 garlic cloves minced
⦁ 1 pound cremini mushrooms, sliced into 1/4 slices
⦁ 2 cups peas (frozen/thawed or canned/drained)
⦁ 60oz. beef stock (low or no sodium if using canned)
⦁ 2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce 2 Tbsp. better than bullion roasted beef base.
⦁ 1 1/2 tsp salt, 1 tsp black pepper, 2 bay leaves, 2 springs of fresh thyme (or 1 tsp dried)

Instructions:
1. Flour and brown beef in 2 Tbsp of oil in pan. Put in large pot.
2. Add oil (~2 tsp) to same a pan, add the onions and 1/2 tsp salt. Cook for 5-7 minutes on med or until the onions are softened and lightly browned edges stirring a couple of times, add garlic for one minute more.
3. Add 30oz. beef stock, thyme, bay leaves to the pan, simmer 5 minutes and scrape pan. Pour this all over top the meat in the pot, add mushrooms and simmer for 2 hours.
4. Remove bay leaves, add in the potatoes, carrots.
5. In a separate pot whisk together the 1/2 cup flour and 30oz beef broth and cook till thickened. Add to crock pot and simmer for 15 minutes, add peas and pack away.
6. Place in a fitted Dutch oven aluminum liner, bag it and freeze.
It will take several hours to partially thaw, plan accordingly. It will reheat faster and more evenly if done in a DO with enough charcoal for 350 degrees F. The potatoes and carrots will finish cooking while you reheat. If you want to be really lazy freeze in boiling bags and reheat that way
Unread 5 Hours Ago   #36

Los Anchorage, Alaska
Pineapple upside-down cake!!

wfinley is offline   Reply With Quote