Dutch Oven Hot Dish Recipes - Page 3 - Mountain Buzz

Old 1 Week Ago   #21

Calgary, Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4Runner View Post
I have a plastic container the same diameter as my DO. Pretty simple to freeze a dish in it, keep frozen, and then pop it into the DO. I make lasagna or eggplant parmesan and freeze to cook later.

I freakin' love me some Jambalaya, and it's one of the ultimate one-pot meals....but I've never done it camping. Thanks for the great suggestion Marshall! You can do it either over coals or on propane, too.

Enchiladas are another good DO recipe.
How do you adjust your cooking procedure and time for the frozen ingredient "cube"?

cupido76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #22

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupido76 View Post
How do you adjust your cooking procedure and time for the frozen ingredient "cube"?

Well, you're only warming it up, is already cooked, I've used just a partner stove set on low to reheat. You could use coals too, I don't see how it would matter.
MNichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #23

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
What MN said; you can also pull it out the night before or morning before and use the tupperware/cube to chill the beer in your drink cooler.

you can reheat on a stove, but the DO gives you a better "brown" on the top of the dish.
MT4Runner is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #24

C. Springs, Colorado
Quote:
I've done this before with a frozen block of lasagna. What I did was use half the coals you would normally use to cook the dish for the first twenty minutes to half hour. Then when it is thawed all the way through, put the right amount of coals under and on top of the oven, add some extra cheese to the top and cook for another fifteen or twenty minuted until the cheese is bubbling and slightly brown.

My calculations for coals would be..... for a 12" oven I'd use a total of 24 coals. For rewarming I'd use half that many or 4 coals on the bottom and 8 on top. After is is thawed I'd put 10 on the bottom and 14 on top. (along with more cheese). You have to keep lifting the lid at first to make sure you don't burn it and to check and see if it is unthawed, but it is already cooked so your not worried about cooking it all the way through, just heating it all the way through.

Or you can put it on a stove like MNichols suggests.
Old 1 Week Ago   #25

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
12" DO

2lb Sausage browned on bottom
package of frozen or thawing tater tots/potatoes
crack 6-9 eggs
package of cheddar cheese
biscuits in a can

put on lid, bake as usual until you smell it/40 min-ish...

Eggs end up over easy, good breakfast, pretty easy.
theusualsuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #26

Boston Mountains, Arkansas
Paddling Since: 2002
Quote:
We love some jambalaya too but take the short cut. Tony Chacheres boxed mix. all you need is some protein (sausage and/or chicken) and water. One box and a pound of meat will feed 3 or 4 for cheap and easy and good.
PBR62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Days Ago   #27

I cooked 3 racks of ribs with Dr Pepper on Saturday! Very tasty. Thanks for the ideas! So brings me to a question: on the river and in camp, what do y’all do with the braising liquid reserves, fat, grease etc left over in the DO when you take out the meat?
Detolvep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Days Ago   #28

thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
Paper towels and toilet paper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detolvep View Post
I cooked 3 racks of ribs with Dr Pepper on Saturday! Very tasty. Thanks for the ideas! So brings me to a question: on the river and in camp, what do y’all do with the braising liquid reserves, fat, grease etc left over in the DO when you take out the meat?
I could not run a river trip without a good supply of paper towels and toilet paper. Tupperware or coffee cans to collect Dutch Oven drippings and chunks, than wipe with paper towels, than I burn or throw away the paper towels. Some rafter's use DO liner's, aluminum or paper liner's to preserve the coating of their DO's and keep flavors from transitioning from one cooking creation to another, but the big chunks and drippings still go into a container. You could just serve them out to people with each portion or make hobo gravy too. Bon Appetit...
raymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Days Ago   #29

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
A traditional hot dish sounds mortifying, many of these sound so good I finally broke down and spent too much on a used super cooker. I'm most excited about fresh cakes for desert.
Fly By Night is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Day Ago   #30

lafayette or Grand Lake, Depends on mood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
[QUOTE=raymo;757759] Some rafter's use DO liner's, aluminum or paper liner's to preserve the coating of their DO's and keep flavors from transitioning from one cooking creation to another, but the big chunks and drippings still go into a container.

Available in 8", 10", 12", 14"

Campliner Dutch Oven Liners

Amazon has them