Dutch Oven Hot Dish Recipes - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz
 



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 1 Week Ago   #11
 
MT4Runner's Avatar
 
Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaLaz View Post
MNichols, MT4Runner, Bighorn, and Caverdan:
Thanks for the great DO recipes. Hot Dish is a thing in and of itself and has a specific definition for those in the frozen north. I'm fishing for these traditional meals that can be or have been optimized for DO river cooking. It may just be that we don't have many Dakotans or Minnesotans here on the buzz
Half my family is Lutheran, the other half Methodist. I was trying so very hard to suppress those painful childhood memories of church and large family potlucks (especially funerals, weddings, and baptisms...in Church basements). All those hot dishes making the Jell-O binder in the orange Jell-o/carrot/walnut/cottage cheese "salad" run out and into my mashed taters. Ugh.

I have friends of Hispanic and Italian descent who tell wonderful stories of their grandmothers' cooking and I got hot dish. Sorry Nanny! At least your Danishes and Norwegian Christmas baking was awesome.

I'm gonna have to bow out and unsubscribe this thread to focus my attention on the prime rib/DO/sous vide/food science/engineer thread.

MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 1 Week Ago   #12
 
Eagle, Colorado
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaLaz View Post
Here's a recipe for Crescent Roll Topped Hot Dish
Ingredients:

2 pounds hamburger
1 large onion, chopped
1 (15 oz) can of tomato sauce
1 small can mushrooms
1 (8 oz.) carton sour cream
1 1/2 cups shredded Mozarella cheese
1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
8 oz. tube crescent rolls
Oregano & Basil to taste
Directions:

Brown hamburger and onion. Drain. Mix with tomato sauce and mushrooms. Spread in 9 x 13 pan or casserole dish. Spread cheeses over meat mix.
Lay out crescent rolls and spread with sour cream. Sprinkle with Oregano and Basil. Roll and place on top of cheese.
Bake in pre-heated 350 degree oven for 35 minutes or until crescent rolls are brown and done. Serves 8

I saw this same recipe on FoodTV this weekend! Then they did one topped with Tots! I am a sucker for the Tots!
Nubie Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #13
 
Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubie Jon View Post
I saw this same recipe on FoodTV this weekend! Then they did one topped with Tots! I am a sucker for the Tots!

Spent 5 years in the oilfields of ND during the boom, ran into a lot of the hot dishes you write about Montanalaz, they were indeed very delicious, as your recipes attest, thanks for sharing
MNichols is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 1 Week Ago   #14
 
mcfarrel's Avatar
 
Cheyenne, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 2006
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 90


this guy does a ton of dutch oven cooking... the one in this video must be like 24" in diameter.
mcfarrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #15
 
Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 580
Damn, that looks good and filling, but the size of that DO is a tad off putting..
MNichols is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #16
 
jbolson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 179
Meets criteria

Chicken enchilada casserole


2 chicken breasts, shredded
8 oz shredded mozzarella
1 can mushroom soup
8 oz crushed tortilla chips
2 - 4 oz salsa


Layer ingredients like lasagna. Bake at 350 for about 45 min.


It is really tasty.
jbolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #17
 
bighorn1478@msn.com's Avatar
 
lafayette or Grand Lake, Depends on mood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,097
Ham and Scalloped Potato Casserole

Ingredients

⦁ 8 large red potatoes, sliced
⦁ 2-3 pounds canned ham, diced
⦁ 3 tablespoons butter
⦁ 1 onion, chopped
⦁ 2 cloves garlic, minced
⦁ 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of broccoli soup
⦁ 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of celery soup
⦁ 8-12oz milk (canned or powdered)
⦁ 1 teaspoon salt and one of pepper
⦁ 4 cups shredded Cheddar cheese

Directions

1. Preheat DO 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) after lining with aluminum foil.
2. Wash and peel the potatoes so that only some of the peel remains on the potatoes; cut into 1/8 inch slices. Put 1/2 the potatoes in the DO, add the ham than rest of potatoes.
3. Melt the butter in pan over medium-high heat. Cook the onion and garlic in the melted butter until soft and translucent, 7 to 10 minutes; stir in the broccoli soup, celery soup, milk, salt, pepper, and about half of the Cheddar cheese; heat, stirring often until the cheese has melted. Pour the mixture over the potatoes; top with the remaining Cheddar cheese. Cover with lid.
4. Bake in the preheated DO for 45 minutes. Check, if cheese not beginning to brown, add more hot charcoal to lid the cover and cook until the cheese begins to brown.

Footnote

⦁ Easy Cleanup if you use foil to line the DO.
⦁ Feeds about 8, makes a great "later" in trip meal, cooler space needed for butter and cheese only
__________________
Time is like a river. You cannot touch the water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again. Enjoy every moment of life on or off the river.
bighorn1478@msn.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #18
 
Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Ingredients

⦁ 8 large red potatoes, sliced
⦁ 2-3 pounds canned ham, diced
⦁ 3 tablespoons butter
⦁ 1 onion, chopped
⦁ 2 cloves garlic, minced
⦁ 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of broccoli soup
⦁ 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of celery soup
⦁ 8-12oz milk (canned or powdered)
⦁ 1 teaspoon salt and one of pepper
⦁ 4 cups shredded Cheddar cheese

Directions

1. Preheat DO 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) after lining with aluminum foil.
2. Wash and peel the potatoes so that only some of the peel remains on the potatoes; cut into 1/8 inch slices. Put 1/2 the potatoes in the DO, add the ham than rest of potatoes.
3. Melt the butter in pan over medium-high heat. Cook the onion and garlic in the melted butter until soft and translucent, 7 to 10 minutes; stir in the broccoli soup, celery soup, milk, salt, pepper, and about half of the Cheddar cheese; heat, stirring often until the cheese has melted. Pour the mixture over the potatoes; top with the remaining Cheddar cheese. Cover with lid.
4. Bake in the preheated DO for 45 minutes. Check, if cheese not beginning to brown, add more hot charcoal to lid the cover and cook until the cheese begins to brown.

Footnote

⦁ Easy Cleanup if you use foil to line the DO.
⦁ Feeds about 8, makes a great "later" in trip meal, cooler space needed for butter and cheese only

Next day, ham and potato pancakes for breakfast, YUMMMM
MNichols is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #19
 
bighorn1478@msn.com's Avatar
 
lafayette or Grand Lake, Depends on mood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNichols View Post
Next day, ham and potato pancakes for breakfast, YUMMMM
You know how to cook!! Never waste a potato, baked or mashed!!
__________________
Time is like a river. You cannot touch the water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again. Enjoy every moment of life on or off the river.
bighorn1478@msn.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #20
 
bighorn1478@msn.com's Avatar
 
lafayette or Grand Lake, Depends on mood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfarrel View Post


this guy does a ton of dutch oven cooking... the one in this video must be like 24" in diameter.
It is 16". I have one that size, but it takes two of us to carry when full of food.
__________________
Time is like a river. You cannot touch the water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again. Enjoy every moment of life on or off the river.
bighorn1478@msn.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Classified Ads
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.