Drysuit Seal Replacement - Mountain Buzz

Old 12-02-2015   #1

little rock, Arkansas
Drysuit Seal Replacement

Thinking about buying a semi-dry suit and replacing the neoprene neck seal with latex (wrists are latex and it has booties). I've heard of people doing this but have never tried it myself. It would be for my daughter so I'd really want it done right and am not sure I'm up to DIYing it properly. Already asked the company and they told me to "kick rocks, kid" as our good friend Bucketboater would say. Thoughts?

lncoop is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2015   #2
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Why not just buy a dry suit?
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015   #3

little rock, Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randaddy View Post
Why not just buy a dry suit?
Because IR has their Rival semi-dry marked down to $271, so even if it costs me a C note to replace the seal I'm still way ahead, and the way this kid's growing........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2015   #4

Northern Utah, Utah
Paddling Since: 1990
If it's the company I'm thinking of, I was also told to go kick rocks when I inquired about the opposite earlier this year - installing a neo gasket in place of a latex gasket that was worn out.

Just yesterday I ordered one of their semi-dysuits for my son and I was debating adding a latex neck. Depending on how tight the neo gasket is, a swap out may not be needed.

The trick to swapping out or adding a latex gasket will be whether or not there is enough dry suit material around the neck area to glue the latex gasket to. The neo gasket may be bigger than a latex gasket. I don't think the latex can be glued to the neoprene with good results.

If the latex gasket will mate up OK, that will make for a super cheap drysuit at just under $300 total. ($271 drysuit, $28 NRS latex neck gasket).
FatmanZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015   #5
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
In that case, do it. If it doesn't have booties you should order those and glue them in while you're at it.

Lots of info on gasket repair on here. I recommend buying mini cell foam from NRS for a good form. Also, cut a hole in the top of a 5 gallon bucket lid and sand it smooth. The suit stays clean in the bucket and you get a good platform to work on.

You can glue the new neck gasket to the neoprene or to the WPB fabric directly. I'd probably choose the latter. If you cut the neoprene gasket out you might want to save it for another use (they are hard to find).
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015   #6

little rock, Arkansas
Great. Thanks for the advice guys. Just pulled the trigger. Brand new suit with booties for $271. The neo neck may be dry enough for her, but I found someone here who can do the mod if it comes to that. When she outgrows it in a year or two I'll pass it on to a little buddy of ours.
Old 12-02-2015   #7

Northern Utah, Utah
Paddling Since: 1990
Nice video clip showing what Randdaddy mentioned about replacing a gasket:

FatmanZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015   #8
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
According to what I.R. told my G.F. this morning you can replace the neoprene with a latex gasket. Sounded like they offer gasket replacement, sucks they didn't sound to eager to help ya out though.

Just ordered one myself, wanted a full on dry suite, but at that price I can deal with upgrading with a latex neck gasket if I need to.
Was using a 2 piece dry suite before with ir semi dry top, wasn't to bad, did start to feel leaks after a minute or so if I was swimming.
Old 12-02-2015   #9

billings, Montana
Paddling Since: Tues
Send a message via Yahoo to mttodd
Thanks for the link fatmanz.
mttodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015   #10

little rock, Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattman View Post
According to what I.R. told my G.F. this morning you can replace the neoprene with a latex gasket. Sounded like they offer gasket replacement, sucks they didn't sound to eager to help ya out though.

Just ordered one myself, wanted a full on dry suite, but at that price I can deal with upgrading with a latex neck gasket if I need to.
Was using a 2 piece dry suite before with ir semi dry top, wasn't to bad, did start to feel leaks after a minute or so if I was swimming.
They might have gotten sick of calls from cheap bastards like me wanting a dry suit at the price of a used semi-dry suit. I might call them back and ask one more time if it hasn't shipped yet. If it has I'll just get my guy here to do it. That's good to know it can be done though.