Dolores Flow Plan 2016 - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-20-2016   #1

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 4Eva
Dolores Flow Plan 2016

No flows for Memorial Day. Sounds like they'll ramp it up for the weekend of June 4th and have sustained flows for about 10 days.

Dolores Water Conservancy District

Also, just FYI, was informed that the Dolores River Guide has gone out of print and are no longer available. Snatch em up while you can...

4CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2016   #2
Mile 157

Guess, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Thanks for the beta! I truly hope the water conservancy district is for real with this release. Fyi for those hunting for their own copy, Out West Books in Grand Junction has several copies of the Dolores guide on the shelf for sale.
Fruita Boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016   #3
Pieter Porcupine

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1985
If and when they decide to do a release will they inform the public precisely how long the release will happen? We are shooting for the end of the pour and I don't want to get suck in ponderosa gorge with a boat full of beer when they turn the valve off.

"Playin wit my rivers is like playin wit my emotions."
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	111
Size:	202.6 KB
ID:	11558  
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2016   #4

Cortez, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainmanPete View Post
If and when they decide to do a release will they inform the public precisely how long the release will happen? We are shooting for the end of the pour and I don't want to get suck in ponderosa gorge with a boat full of beer when they turn the valve off.

"Playin wit my rivers is like playin wit my emotions."
Though I can't speak for BuRec/McPhee, we (boaters) have been working on communications and it seems to be improving.
Just gotta stay tuned to the DWCD website:

Dolores Water Conservancy District

They should be giving us firm dates shortly after the Memorial Day weekend. The "shutting off the water and stranding boaters" problem that has happened in the past is less likely, because they are being super conservative in their estimates (which has it's own frustrations), but it's more likely that the release will run long, than be cut short.
grumper13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016   #5

Cortez, Colorado
Here's the status of the Slickrock access point on the Lower Dolores:

DOLORES RIVER: SLICK ROCK PUT-IN AND TAKE OUT UPDATE
You will be able to launch a raft from Slick Rock on the Dolores River in 2016. The location is NOT the one listed in the river guides. The 2016 launch location will be at river mile 47 ¼, on the west side of the river downstream from the bridge that crosses the river on river left.
There is ample parking at the site and two access points. Parking a vehicle (with or without a trailer) will be $7.00 a day.
This will be the only put-in or take-out at Slick Rock. All of the land upriver and downriver is private with no access. The public access upstream of mile 46 marked on some maps is not viable (rutted and steep with river access blocked by a fence.)
THE OLD LAUNCH that is marked in the river guides WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE.
In one guide this 2016 launch location is listed as, “Chuck Wagon Cafe. Pay Phone and H2O available.” It is also known as the Slickrock Store.
With the help of The Dolores Water Conservation District, The Dolores River Boating Advocates worked with the local landowners to open this site for 2016.
Be Kind and Respect the Property.
Thanks,
Dolores River Boating Advocates
Old 05-23-2016   #6

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1989
In my guidebook, the old river access point was at river mile 47-1/4 or pretty close to it. This is on the east side of the river upstream from the bridge. Its been fenced off for a few years, so I wouldn't expect it to be available for use. Is the 2016 access point at river mile 48-1/4 since there is a road on the west bank at this location which is also downstream from the highway bridge?
stuntmansteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016   #7

Cortez, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuntmansteve View Post
In my guidebook, the old river access point was at river mile 47-1/4 or pretty close to it. This is on the east side of the river upstream from the bridge. Its been fenced off for a few years, so I wouldn't expect it to be available for use. Is the 2016 access point at river mile 48-1/4 since there is a road on the west bank at this location which is also downstream from the highway bridge?
The new access point is on the same property as the old store, which is on river left (the west side), just downstream of the bridge. There is a county road on both sides going downstream, but the road on the east side does not offer legal access to the river.
Old 05-23-2016   #8

Cortez, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuntmansteve View Post
As I look at my guidebook, I think the 47 1/4 is just a slightly different interpretation of distance. The old (river right) access seems to be a little less than a 1/4 mile from 47 and the new access slightly more.
Old 05-24-2016   #9

Western Slope, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
Just park where you see the most Subarus
ColoradoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016   #10
Pieter Porcupine

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1985
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoDave View Post