Desolation Canyon and Ute Tribal Lands Non-Access 2017 - Mountain Buzz

Old 11-09-2016   #1
Herm

Jensen, Utah
Paddling Since: 1966
Desolation Canyon and Ute Tribal Lands Non-Access 2017

DESPERATION CANYON NEWS: The Ute Tribe will be closing its lands in Desperation Canyon to all entry beyond 75 feet from the water line for camping next year. You will still need the 30 dollar camp fee, and can camp, but will not be able to go beyond that 75 foot distance on Tribal Lands. They will not be issuing hiking permits. Initially they were going to make it 75 feet from river center, but I guess it dawned on them they they would have difficulty in measuring from there! The reason they gave was that compare Rock Creek Ranch to McPherson Ranch and a lot of stuff has been stolen from McPherson by "rafters!" Now we all know that is BS, and there are multiple reasons: Tribal sovereignty over their lands, factions of the Tribe resentful over the Congressman Bishop land grab of 100,000 acres of Ute Reservation Lands, factions that want full control over ALL original Tribal Res. Lands, the issue they had opening a welcome center in Rooooosevelt without getting any city permits, and the Mother Earth/Father Cash issue! They only make $10,000 from river related permits and they get millions from oil and gas. Remember Tribal Councils change and it is not unreasonable, given Ute Tribal issues, for a new Council to make changes. BUT this means places like the Ben Morris shelter/still, Chandler Creek & D Julian inscription, McPherson Ranch and anyplace more than 75 feet from the edge of the river are out of bounds. How will they monitor it with only a couple of Wildlife Resource folks? They plan (HA!) on using remote cameras tramsmitting directly to the Tribal office by satellite and responding by helicopter as well as the use of drones. I would tell you more but i am going to be out of service for a week, and will update you then.

Hoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2016   #2

Bailey, Colorado
Desolation?
Beeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016   #3
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Wow. Sorry to hear that, thanks for letting us know.

I've always payed for a permit to be able to camp on there land, and have been happy to do it, but being recorded on camera when I'm in the wilderness isn't appealing. I'll be staying off tribal land, and saving my money if they actually go through with the cameras.

From what I've heard talking to the Blm, they( BLM, Deso unit) have been trying to firm up an agreement in writing as to where visitors may go, and what they may do on tribal lands, since the policy changes each time the Council does.

In all honesty, river right is better. It isn't trashed by overgrazing, I've hiked on the left twice in the past, and it was kinda nasty, just sorta paved in cow shit.
mattman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
access