Deso sand wash camping question - Mountain Buzz
 



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-31-2018   #1
 
Jackson, Wyoming
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 338
Deso sand wash camping question

I picked up a 6/29 Deso permit, and the screen cabins are all full. Wondering about rigging boats, then going back up the wash a ways to camp to hid from the bugs. Anyone use this tactic with success? Or anyone recall any good spots that are far enough, but not too far? I've only been in there once, and can't really remember if there was any potential to make this work.

Thanks
Sam

wyosam is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-31-2018   #2
 
bcpnick's Avatar
 
Salt Lake City, Utah
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 197
Did you call and check? Rec.gov always says they're all booked. You need to call the BLM office in Price to reserve one (435) 636-3600. I just did for an early July launch, so thanks for the reminder.
bcpnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018   #3
Never enough free time
 
Red Lodge, Montana
Paddling Since: 1998
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 233
I don't remember any good "campsites" that are reasonably close but there is some spots to pull off into and then just throw a paco on the ground.

We bought a big mosquito net and it saved us first night in the river. We would have used it at Sand Wash if we didn't have a cabin. Well worth every penny and packs down small.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
MontanaLaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-31-2018   #4
 
bcpnick's Avatar
 
Salt Lake City, Utah
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 197
Did you just tie up that mosquito net in the trees?
bcpnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018   #5
Never enough free time
 
Red Lodge, Montana
Paddling Since: 1998
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcpnick View Post
Did you just tie up that mosquito net in the trees?
Yes, but I always also carry 100' or so of cheap p-cord that I am not afraid to cut up and it has been set up using oars guyed out like a river wing and has been set up rigged off of the side of the pick-up on non-river trips.

There's no zipper so you just pick up the bottom. I thought this was better for keeping mosquitos out anyway.

Be aware though that these nets are "almost" disposable. They don't have real solid perimeter webbing that the loops are attached to. I've considered beefing ours up but it hasn't really been an issue so much as me just being a gear geek.

Last year on Deso, we ended up just letting the kids have it as a sanctuary and the adults covered up in DEET, long sleeves, long pants, and head nets. I think it was actually worse on the river. I let my 10 year old have the oars for a few while I vegged out and he rowed us right into a bush on the bank. A black cloud of blood sucking death came out of that thing and I rowed like a galley slave to escape. At least on shore you are prepared for the biblical plague...

Seriously though, use DEET, I think the organic hippy bug stuff just makes them hungrier.
MontanaLaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018   #6
Dipshit with the most.
 
carvedog's Avatar
 
Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 2,787
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaLaz View Post
I don't remember any good "campsites" that are reasonably close but there is some spots to pull off into and then just throw a paco on the ground.

We bought a big mosquito net and it saved us first night in the river. We would have used it at Sand Wash if we didn't have a cabin. Well worth every penny and packs down small.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I had a smaller version of something similar but no trees to really string it from. We improvised with a couple of kitchen tables as the sides were only three feet or something like that. Way too hot to think about crawling into the tent. Even with the net it seemed like a lot of mosquitos got in the netting and were happily buzzing and munching away all night. One of the more challenging nights I have ever had on a river. Made Sandwash seem easy. And there is rock and sand but I don't remember thinking anything we saw would be a good campsite. June 16th of last year.

I used more bug spray on that trip than in ten years of Middle Forking combined. My teenage daughter would get her butt sprayed before trying to use the toilet to lessen the bites. She was reacting to them as well and they would bump up pretty big, but usually gone later the same day.

The Mozzies down there are no joking.
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018   #7
Sponsoring Vendor
 
Whitewater Worthy Equip's Avatar
 
Central Point, Oregon
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaLaz View Post
Yes, but I always also carry 100' or so of cheap p-cord that I am not afraid to cut up and it has been set up using oars guyed out like a river wing and has been set up rigged off of the side of the pick-up on non-river trips.

There's no zipper so you just pick up the bottom. I thought this was better for keeping mosquitos out anyway.

Be aware though that these nets are "almost" disposable. They don't have real solid perimeter webbing that the loops are attached to. I've considered beefing ours up but it hasn't really been an issue so much as me just being a gear geek.

Last year on Deso, we ended up just letting the kids have it as a sanctuary and the adults covered up in DEET, long sleeves, long pants, and head nets. I think it was actually worse on the river. I let my 10 year old have the oars for a few while I vegged out and he rowed us right into a bush on the bank. A black cloud of blood sucking death came out of that thing and I rowed like a galley slave to escape. At least on shore you are prepared for the biblical plague...

Seriously though, use DEET, I think the organic hippy bug stuff just makes them hungrier.
https://www.amazon.com/Bug-Baffler-I.../dp/B00F72ZGBY

The best part of the bug shirts it you can wear them as a base layer so you donít have to sweat it out to cover up. Another added benefit is you can drink your favorit beverage right through the mesh. For the win, put a ball cap on under the hood to keep the mesh off your face.
__________________
May the water be under your boat and the wind at your back.
Jake Wallace, Owner
whitewaterworthy.com
Whitewater Worthy Equip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018   #8
 
Montrose, Colorado
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 200
There are a couple places up the canyon less than half a mile from Sand Wash. It is an area that has been used, and there may be some land-mines from people not in river mode without their groovers setup. Look on the north side of the road in Google earth and you can see an area. Other than that you are looking at a bit of a drive back up the wash.
Heed the mosquito warnings of others, but they are not so bad a bit up the canyon.
QuietHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018   #9
 
caverdan's Avatar
 
C. Springs, Colorado
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcpnick View Post
Did you call and check? Rec.gov always says they're all booked. You need to call the BLM office in Price to reserve one (435) 636-3600. I just did for an early July launch, so thanks for the reminder.
This threw me for a loop this spring. It took me a while to figure out to call BLM. It did say it somewhere on the Rec.gov site, but it wasn't obvious and they need to quit advertising like they rent them. The lady at the BLM was super nice about getting me a cabin. Hopefully this is your problem.

If I couldn't get a cabin for the night.......I'm old enough that I would rig the day before, drop the trailer, and drive back out to the nearest hotel for the night. Get up early and head back in. There is a good Steak house as you get back up to the Highway.

Things that have helped me deal with the bugs in the past.
First is to drink a cap full of vinegar at the last gas stop before heading down in. (This is an old Boy Scout trick). When I get there, I put on my anti bug shirt and pants I bought at a local fly fishing shop. Next comes the head net. Last I spray any exposed skin with lots of Deet.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018   #10
 
Jackson, Wyoming
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 338
Thanks for all the advice, I did call the BLM, but no dice. Now it looks like we have one person who canít get down there until morning of launch, so Iím actually thinking Iíll wait to drive in. Probably just take the closest hotel- takes me no time to load and go, as I haul my boat fully rigged, and just throw soft stuff in (well, for the sand wash road maybe Iíll put the cooler in the trailer instead of in the boat). Either way, I can be pulling away from the ramp in 30 minutes. Living on the edge for afternoon winds that first day though. Anyone with a motor looking for a Deso trip?
wyosam is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Topic Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
driving to Sand Wash/Deso--North or south route? maschwee61 Rafting | Trip Planner 11 04-24-2018 10:22 PM
Ride into Sand Wash options, Deso. canyon bmiracle2 Rafting | Trip Planner 15 03-17-2015 09:21 AM
Deso Gray, Ouray to Sand Wash maschwee61 Whitewater Rafting 11 04-13-2014 02:25 PM
Deso/ Gray Detour at turn off to Sand Wash caverdan River Access & Safety Alerts! 1 06-12-2013 10:48 PM
DESO - Sand Wash Road This Spring obeyriver Whitewater Kayaking 4 06-12-2012 08:48 AM

» Classified Ads
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.