Deschutes beta? Warm springs - sandy beach info needed - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-16-2013   #1

Mountains, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Deschutes beta? Warm springs - sandy beach info needed

Hey y'all,
I've got a few days out here in the NW and figured we'd go do a little 3 day on the Deschutes. Planning on putting in at Warm Springs and taking out at Sandy Beach. I've got the BLM river map but I'd love any info, opinions, etc that anyone has on camp sites, etc. Thanks for the help...

Advertisement

Old 09-16-2013   #2

Antarctica, Alabama
Paddling Since: 1981
Deschutes

Best camps are Whiskey Dick and Davidson Flats for the first night. Lots of choices the second night.
klickitat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013   #3

Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudolphred View Post
Hey y'all,
I've got a few days out here in the NW and figured we'd go do a little 3 day on the Deschutes. Planning on putting in at Warm Springs and taking out at Sandy Beach. I've got the BLM river map but I'd love any info, opinions, etc that anyone has on camp sites, etc. Thanks for the help...
I can recommend Linda's River Shuttles. WE used them for our recent lower Deschutes trip, and due to some poor planning on some folks parts there was....some drama. LInda's crew did the right thing for us and I told them I would let folks know that they did a great job.

Most of the shuttle companies in the area are about the same cost for that run.

Also, go right at Oak Springs and be ready for a nice deep hole punch. also...bring a fishing pole.
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2013   #4

Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1992
Deschutes

Just did a 3 day/2 night trip last weekend. Camps are kind of slim the first night (above Whitehorse Rapid, the only significant whitewater above the day stretch at Maupin). We stayed at Lower Redsides, which is only a mile or so below the Trout Creek launch but 9 or so below Warm Springs.

There are several ways to run Whitehorse; I always used to run the right side, which is where you scout from, but I have started going middle then left recently. Either way, definitely stop to look at that one, the rest are read and run.

Like mentioned earlier, there are plenty of nice camps with trees for the second night. While there is a road along the right side that follows the old railroad grade, there is not much traffic at all above the locked gate (for obvious reasons). We stayed at the upper Windy Flat camp this time and it was very nice. I've attached a view out of the kitchen window.

Have fun!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG6221.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	1.50 MB
ID:	7112  
Old 09-18-2013   #5

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
North Station? It's river right right after the RR bridge passes over the river at a diagonal. There is a nice hike up the hillside there
Old 09-19-2013   #6

Beaverton, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
Three days out there is a nicely padded schedule. Whiskey Dick (look for a very tall pine tree on the right) is a nice target camp for the first day. If you are on a small crew, the first part of that camp is nice with a bowl area right next to the river. Buckskin Mary is a good target for night 2, but if you get smoked you risk getting screwed as there are only 2 camps after that before a 6 mile stretch that drops you back into civilization.

I tend to run the Deschutes as a weekend trip. Get to the put in Friday night, go to somewhere in the RM 60s (Hole in the Wall, Rainbow Bend, so on) Saturday night and take out on Sunday.

Remember your ramp etiquette at Warm Springs - there is barely room for two trucks. You won't be able to dunk your trailer, either, as the surface goes to about a foot deep then stays flat for a while.

The ramp at Sandy gets crowded too with all the commie activity.
brandob9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013   #7

Portland, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudolphred View Post
Hey y'all,
If I were you, I'd seriously consider putting in at Trout Creek and shaving off the first 10 miles of flat water. Makes the camping situation easier on the first day.
clinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013   #8

Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2003
Camp river right; river left is Indian Reservation. Agreed, Whiskey Dick is a great spot. Scout Whitehorse. Bring a fishing pole--lots of flat water day 1 and 2.
ReillRaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013   #9

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Mecca flats is a great place to camp and launch from. It's about 1 mile downriver from warm springs and you follow a gravel road by the gas station/convenience store on the east side of the river at the 26 crossing
Old 09-20-2013   #10

Portland, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReillRaft View Post
Camp river right; river left is Indian Reservation. Agreed, Whiskey Dick is a great spot. Scout Whitehorse. Bring a fishing pole--lots of flat water day 1 and 2.
DO NOT fish from the boat unless you want a whopping fine.
clinks is offline   Reply With Quote