deck support for my raft trailor - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-26-2016   #1

Rifle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2015
deck support for my raft trailor

Buzzards

Need some help with my raft trailor. Got a crazy good deal on my 12'x8' utility trailor. I have 15' solid side walls. I wanna put a deck over on the trailor. Do i need supports going across the width of the raft or can i run 3/4" plywood. What would be best? completely new to all this i appreciate any advice given

BEAVER BELIEVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2016   #2
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I would run some type of supports and then go with 1/2" cdx.
I came up with a slotted system for my utility trailer, where the supports are 2 by 12's running length wise, and the plywood decking is run cross wise and goes into grooves I cut into the 2 by 12" side walls.
I have a short tail gate on the back with a roller i built out of a length of 1 5/8 "
pipe, fence gate hardware, and wheel barrow barrings.
Have a winch on the front. Got the idea for the roller off a website called "stupid guide tricks"
I have the smooth side of the ply wood faced up, and finished with exterior polly urethane.

There are other ways to skin the cat, just what i did, good luck w/ trailer!
Old 03-26-2016   #3

Rifle, Colorado
Ok sweet. Are u just running some type of posts under the 2"x 12" going length wise? Sounds like a good system
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2016   #4
Jared

Dundee, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
I run a 2X8 "bunk" board under each tube of my raft and leave the center hollow. My bunks boards are supported by a steel frame I made that can be removed with a couple of tractor pins in a few seconds. Each side comes off by itself and I have a PVC roller in the back supported with a steel round tube in the middle that also comes off with tractor pins. The setup is strong enough to support 2 14' rafts and some weight in them. I have enough clearance to have my frame sit below the bunks and not in the raft so I can stack the second raft. Last weekend I had my frame, one dry box, one big cooler, and a bunch of other stuff in the cargo area of the trailer with an Aire Lynx I sitting in my raft, along with 6 oars, one kayak paddle, and a few small dry bags. On top of my raft was another RMR 14 footer with a frame rigged on it with a few small items in it. The setup sticks up above my Sequoia about 12 inches or so. I pulled that load about 340 miles over a 4400 ft pass with no problems.
I use that trailer for everything so I have to keep it useful as a utility trailer too. (Dump runs, move a piano, bark chips, moving people, etc) It is a 4X8 Snow Bear , total capacity is 1480 lbs and total trailer weight is 2000 lbs.
Old 03-27-2016   #5

Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Learch View Post
I run a 2X8 "bunk" board under each tube of my raft and leave the center hollow. My bunks boards are supported by a steel frame I made that can be removed with a couple of tractor pins in a few seconds. Each side comes off by itself and I have a PVC roller in the back supported with a steel round tube in the middle that also comes off with tractor pins. The setup is strong enough to support 2 14' rafts and some weight in them. I have enough clearance to have my frame sit below the bunks and not in the raft so I can stack the second raft. Last weekend I had my frame, one dry box, one big cooler, and a bunch of other stuff in the cargo area of the trailer with an Aire Lynx I sitting in my raft, along with 6 oars, one kayak paddle, and a few small dry bags. On top of my raft was another RMR 14 footer with a frame rigged on it with a few small items in it. The setup sticks up above my Sequoia about 12 inches or so. I pulled that load about 340 miles over a 4400 ft pass with no problems.
I use that trailer for everything so I have to keep it useful as a utility trailer too. (Dump runs, move a piano, bark chips, moving people, etc) It is a 4X8 Snow Bear , total capacity is 1480 lbs and total trailer weight is 2000 lbs.
I have a snow bear trailer and I am looking for a set up like your. Is there any way you can post pictures of the trailer and the trailer with the raft (s) on it? It would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Tony
topbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016   #6

Rifle, Colorado
Lurch thanks that great info. Where were you headed last weekend? Lived in OR for 23 years moved to colorado 13 years ago. Miss home OR is awesome.
Old 03-27-2016   #7
Jared

Dundee, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by topbud View Post
I have a snow bear trailer and I am looking for a set up like your. Is there any way you can post pictures of the trailer and the trailer with the raft (s) on it? It would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Tony
These are from my older setup on the same trailer
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140803_124448.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	11193   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140803_181620.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	591.6 KB
ID:	11194  

Old 03-27-2016   #8
Jared

Dundee, Oregon
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMountain Buzz1459122714.655455.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	11195Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMountain Buzz1459122730.719562.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	11196Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMountain Buzz1459122744.197338.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	11197Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMountain Buzz1459122755.270299.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	11198 here is a rough version of the new setup

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Old 03-27-2016   #9
Jared

Dundee, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAVER BELIEVER View Post
Lurch thanks that great info. Where were you headed last weekend? Lived in OR for 23 years moved to colorado 13 years ago. Miss home OR is awesome.
Trout creek to Maupin city park on the Deschutes. It was a fun trip, new stretch of river for me. The people I used to boat with a lot never liked going to the Deschutes to overnight camp, so I never did with them. I have since branched out to boating with new people that do like to camp along the Deschutes, so now I've gone from Trout to the mouth, including the two mile stretch from Sandy beach to Sherar's falls that was closed since 1997 or so.
I like Buck Hollow to Heritage landing run better than the upper, no reservation boundaries, much less private property/ houses, and more rapids to boot. Lots of Phoenix toilets installed on both sections, and brick shithouses on the lower end of the Trout creek to Maupin run. Either way, you are dealing with trains sounding like they are going to run through damn dent at 3 am.
I like the John Day canyon a little better for tranquility and more of a natural feeling, or the Owyhee. I still need to scratch the Grande Ronde, north fork John Day, Snake and Illinois off my list. I don't know if I'll ever do a hike in run like the Chetco.
Old 03-27-2016   #10

Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 93
Learch,
Thanks for the great ideas. I will fabricate something similar. Thanks
Tony
topbud is offline   Reply With Quote