Caution when shuttling cars on the Rogue - Mountain Buzz

Old 11-03-2015   #1

Medford, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1984
Caution when shuttling cars on the Rogue

There have been numerous break-ins and car thefts. This is the latest incident not a good experience after this guys car was stolen Galice Store said they had no record of it. Man says Galice Resort lost his SUV - News - MailTribune.com - Medford, OR

rivers2run is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2015   #2

Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 1992
Guy says he has credit card receipts for the shuttle, should be pretty easy to prove whether he did or didn't entrust his rig to them.
seantana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015   #3

Nye, Montana
Paddling Since: 2012
My geo tracker got stolen on the 5th of july. I received a call yesterday that they found it on private property in sunny valley.

Good luck finding your rig. The Josephine County Sheriff's office is little to no help.
Mattchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2015   #4

Medford, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1984
Jo county Sheriff is way under served for a long time they had only 2 deputies for the entire county and they closed a portion of the jail down. Prosecutors were let go from the DA's office. They sometimes don't respond to 911 calls it is the wild west in Josephine county I used to live there, but moved because it was unsafe. They will not pass a safety levy.
rivers2run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015   #5

Nye, Montana
Paddling Since: 2012
Ya I lived there too. I personally like fewer cops and wouldn't vote for a safety levy either.

It should be legal to shoot theives. A couple get shot and then you wouldn't need cops anyhow and the other theives would go get a damn job and stop smoking damn meth.
Mattchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015   #6

Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattchu View Post
Ya I lived there too. I personally like fewer cops and wouldn't vote for a safety levy either.

It should be legal to shoot theives. A couple get shot and then you wouldn't need cops anyhow and the other theives would go get a damn job and stop smoking damn meth.
You'd think that would be true but more thieves would just move in and keep up the pace, much like the old public pickpocket hangings in the U.K. where many people watching the execution were pickpocketed themselves.
Old 11-03-2015   #7

seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 90
I don't see why galice would deny they shuttled this guys rig. Shuttle companies are not responsible for what happens pre-and post shuttle. They have waivers stating that they aren't even responsible for your rig during the shuttle.
R.w and o.t are like clockwork. If you check in with them before your trip you can be assured that your rig never spends more than a half an hour at the put in or take out.
bucketboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015   #8
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1986
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketboater View Post
I don't see why galice would deny they shuttled this guys rig. Shuttle companies are not responsible for what happens pre-and post shuttle. They have waivers stating that they aren't even responsible for your rig during the shuttle.
R.w and o.t are like clockwork. If you check in with them before your trip you can be assured that your rig never spends more than a half an hour at the put in or take out.
All waivers are not equal. Just because you sign a waiver doesn't mean it is legally enforceable, and it doesn't alleviate the company from a certain standard of care or protect the shuttle company from negligence. For example, a waiver wouldn't protect them if they left your car doors open with the key in the ignition (unless you instructed them to do what on the shuttle form).
shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015   #9

Oregon City, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1972
I've used Galice Resort for well over a hundred shuttles in the past 40 years, and have found them to be dependable, scrupulously honest and extremely helpful--even when one of my rigs broke down at the highest part of Bear Camp Road. If you want to find a bad guy, you need to look someplace else.
The Mogur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015   #10

seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by shappattack View Post
All waivers are not equal. Just because you sign a waiver doesn't mean it is legally enforceable, and it doesn't alleviate the company from a certain standard of care or protect the shuttle company from negligence. For example, a waiver wouldn't protect them if they left your car doors open with the key in the ignition (unless you instructed them to do what on the shuttle form).
I knew the waiver issue would come up as soon as I posted. A shuttle is a privilege not a right. I asked my insurance provider specifically if a shuttle service drove my truck off a cliff with all my gear would it be covered. You need to cover your ass. You should have comp. insurance if you're leaving a rig in the wilderness or having strangers drive it. Court costs,lawyer fees and time off would exceed the the op's rig and the other poster 90's geo tracker value. Getting stuff stolen sucks, but it's like Rigging to flip or being prepared for a swim. It's not as bad if you're prepared.
bucketboater is offline   Reply With Quote