Campsites on Ruby Horsethief - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-11-2018   #1

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1982
Campsites on Ruby Horsethief

I've noticed something very irritating when trying to reserve campsites on the Ruby Horsethief. I log into my account on Recreation.gov at the crack of dawn the day sites are supposed to be reservable and often the best sites are gone before they are even available for the public to reserve them. I'm sure it's outfitters that are getting the sites. If so why do the outfitters get to reserve the best sites before the public even has a chance? It's very frustrating and it happens time and again. Good luck getting Cottonwood 5 or Black Rocks 5. As of this moment I am on the Recreation.gov site and trying to reserve a site at Black Rocks. When I click on a date and add it to the itinerary it get a notification that this site can't be added to the itinerary until 10am EDT. BUT, several other sites (including the best ones) are already gone. What is going on? And who do I call to complain to?

canoedog87c is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2018   #2
Sponsoring Vendors

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
What day are you trying to book? September 9th is 59 days out and can be booked by anyone now. Commercial trips do run that section, but it isn't the most popular section for commercials. They do get some early preference, but they are always good camps available first thing on day 60. September 10th is the 60th day and can't be booked until 10AM EST. It appears all sites are currently available to be booked on September 10th.

www.DOWNRIVEREQUIP.com
Toll Free: 1-888-467-2144
Down River Equipment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018   #3

Boulder, Colorado
I understand how it's supposed to work.
What I'm saying is that sites are already gone by the time I'm even allowed to add the site to my itinerary. Someone is able to reserve early. The best sites are always booked before we even have a chance. For instance Black Rocks 5, 7 and 8 were already booked for the 10th when I got online this morning an hour before I could reserve that date. I'm assuming it's outfitters.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2018   #4

Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
It is probably the same issue with the 4 rivers and Dino they had going on where the call line opens up earlier than the online system and anybody that calls in at 8:00am can reserve campsites and permits while online user's are waiting for the time limits. Rec.gov is a dysfunctional organization with no oversite like all government subcontractors and they charge their high fees to make millions while being incompetent and unorganized without being held accountable. Rec.gov sucks!
cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018   #5

Boulder, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by cain View Post
It is probably the same issue with the 4 rivers and Dino they had going on where the call line opens up earlier than the online system and anybody that calls in at 8:00am can reserve campsites and permits while online user's are waiting for the time limits. Rec.gov is a dysfunctional organization with no oversite like all government subcontractors and they charge their high fees to make millions while being incompetent and unorganized without being held accountable. Rec.gov sucks!
That makes sense. Thanks. Next time I will use the call line and see if I get better availability.
Old 07-11-2018   #6

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
First, you should not be blaming the outfitters for this issue, it isn't them.

Second, rec.gov has done nothing to improve any of the reservation systems. With any luck, even just one of their employees monitor this site and they will begin to understand this some day. But I'm not holding my breath.

Is it 60 days or is it two months? It's enough of a detail to matter, for instance, you were trying to book for Sep 10 on July 11, so you may have missed it by a day, thus the prime spots were gone.

I'm not aware of a call-in system for Ruby, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Good luck.
DoStep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018   #7

Boulder, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoStep View Post
First, you should not be blaming the outfitters for this issue, it isn't them.

Second, rec.gov has done nothing to improve any of the reservation systems. With any luck, even just one of their employees monitor this site and they will begin to understand this some day. But I'm not holding my breath.

Is it 60 days or is it two months? It's enough of a detail to matter, for instance, you were trying to book for Sep 10 on July 11, so you may have missed it by a day, thus the prime spots were gone.

I'm not aware of a call-in system for Ruby, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Good luck.
No, I was doing it correctly. I logged onto rec.gov well before the sites should have been available for the 10th so I'd be ready.
Black Rocks 4, 5, and 7 were already listed as reserved well before 10am EDT. If it's not outfitters getting early access then there must be a call in line.
Old 07-11-2018   #8

Louisville, Colorado

I think what people do is they'll book say BlackRocks 5 a day before you and chose 2 nights there even though they'll only be there 1 night. If that makes sense.... or I could totally be wrong.
RyanOBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018   #9
Sponsoring Vendors

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
It appears that all sites are still available for September 10th. I don't see any showing as reserved.

www.DOWNRIVEREQUIP.com
Toll Free: 1-888-467-2144
Down River Equipment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018   #10

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
RyanOBrian is correct. This happens with both river sites and regular camping sites through rec.gov and reserveamerica. It pays to monitor the site frequently, at all hours, as shown with openings now on September 10.