Camp Consultant App-Grand Canyon (was GC0000-0010) - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Boaters Forum | General Boating Topics

Unread 4 Days Ago   #1

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
Camp Consultant App-Grand Canyon (was GC0000-0010)

Please pay no attention to this unless you are a pocket protector type.

Attached is a PDF of Grand Canyon mile 0000 to 0010 camps, mile zero to mile 10 camps.

These three camps are presented in this PDF as digital perspective of detailed horizon and solar paths at three critical times of year. Considering the path of the sum and the horizon line permits a perfect understanding of sunrise and sunset on any day of the year.

This PDF is only offered at this time to allow me to dial in processes necessary for future enhancement of presentation on a mobile device and also of a process likely to take a year considering the severe time constraints of retirement and data processing of camps in increments of 10 river miles.

You may compare sunrise and sunset using on site calculations in the following file. Please understand that their processes were very limited and constrained by factors beyond there control. My calculations are very precise as observed by an ant looking up from a precise location.

https://rrfw.org/RaftingGrandCanyon/Camp_sun/shade

Without further ado,
Ron
Attached Files
File Type: pdf GC0000-0010.pdf (441.0 KB, 68 views)

GeoRon is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 4 Days Ago   #2

Golden, Colorado
Having done this step I can see that there is work to be done. Thank you for your time.
Unread 3 Days Ago   #3

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Great idea but wouldn't open on my phone. What are the chances of a prototype i could beta test for you in the next 2 week's?
Infidien is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 3 Days Ago   #4

Cool work Ron. I assume the three arcs are the solstices and equinox? The rose diagram doesn't add much info for my ant brain. It's the same info presented differently, correct?
jeffro is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Days Ago   #5

Great idea Ron. I bet you could make a lot of money on this, as long as it was free.
jbolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Days Ago   #6

Golden, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infidien View Post
Great idea but wouldn't open on my phone. What are the chances of a prototype i could beta test for you in the next 2 week's?
I had trouble opening it in the MB app. Switch to Mountain Buzz in a browser.

Also, do you have pdf viewer app installed? I'm formatting specific to a mobile device so that you can scroll camps on your smart phone and not have to take reams of paper on your trip.

I'd very much appreciate it if you can test it. When do you leave? I'm currently having to update data such as camp site mileage in the most upper right. My original mileages were USGS. Now I'm conforming to GCMRC which is what Rivermaps uses now.

The number between the name of the camp and the mileage code is the map number for a guide I never published.

The mileage code is defines as implicite single decimal, river left(L) or right(R) and in the case of camps a suffix "C".

Below the mileage code is q- or s- followed by a number which defines relative quality from 0 to 10 and size 0 to 10. These ranking values date to my interpretations made during runs made in the 1980s and 1990s. They deserve updating and community review.

The need for a coordinate is obsolete considering that Rivermaps provides all annotations of map mile markers and camps as downloadable gpx files.
Unread 3 Days Ago   #7

Golden, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro View Post
Cool work Ron. I assume the three arcs are the solstices and equinox? The rose diagram doesn't add much info for my ant brain. It's the same info presented differently, correct?
I have updated the plots with labels for the arcs to indicate solstices and equinoxes.

The rose diagram is the perspective of a very high flying condor, say thirty-five thousand feet(think passenger jet).

Dark black is the trace of the horizon. I might someday vary the thickness of the trace in rose view(plan view) to correspond to the thickness lines of the horizon as shown in cross-section to the left. The thickness of the line indicates relative distance to the horizon.

Blue is the trace of the river.

Magenta numbers are mile markers that must be updated. I'll in the near future process Rivermaps GPX file and extract GCMRC coordinates that Dwain uses.

The orange traces are solar traces included to truly marvel the difference of the sun's path at different times of year.
Unread 3 Days Ago   #8

Golden, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolson View Post
Great idea Ron. I bet you could make a lot of money on this, as long as it was free.
It is sponsored. I'm sitting in Tahiti right now, complements of a sponsor, contemplating how to spend the day

Actually, it is mostly done for personal entertainment and a community service. Some people play video games, I diddle with numbers while always making sure my pens and pencils are properly arranged in my pocket protector. Actually, geologist don't use pocket protectors, we use map cases on a belt at our hips. Much kooler looking, but I might be biased.
Unread 2 Days Ago   #9

I do think it is cool. Looking down the road (or river as it were) have you considered normalizing the results so you could indicate each camp as being morning + or - and the same for evening. Or perhaps those numbers would change too much seasonally? For example, if a camp had a morning +1 or maybe +2 you it seems you could more easily compare camps with such a rating system. Just a suggestion. Not that I don't like charts...
jbolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Days Ago   #10

Golden, Colorado
Lets think about this idea. Heading out the door to ski ASAP right now.