Browns Canyon NM camping management - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 1 Week Ago   #11

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy H. View Post
I'd like to see trailer access restored at Railroad Bridge with a concrete ramp, and also good trailer access at Pinnacle Rock instead of the row of rocks that prevents backing to the river.

Thank you for the input Andy. Especially your opinion on the camping and permit situation in Browns. The rest of the stuff above though would be addressed by the AHRA's management plan. I can bring up the suggestions and ask why they block trailer access to the ramps at the next CTF meeting.

lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #12

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmyers View Post
Thank you for the input Andy. ....I can bring up the suggestions and ask why they block trailer access to the ramps at the next CTF meeting.
Sure thing, Logan. I'm pretty sure it's for erosion control. The Railroad Bridge ramp is pretty steep and there wasn't concrete on it a few years ago when last I lugged a boat down it. Still, it's a lot of fun to row the Fractions and on down through town.

The Lone Pine (?) ramp down below Cotapaxi could use grading and a nice concrete ramp as well. This would make these areas more easily accessible and take pressure off the Brown's Circus.

A series of nice Westwater-style ramps would be really sweet!

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #13

Flagstaff, Arizona
Hi Logan, agree with you about growth, even straight percentage based on population. Assigning camps has its plusses. You "know" where you are going. The downsides with assigned campsites is 1) what happens when I miss the pull in? Another and more worrying downside that we have seen elsewhere is the larger and nicer camps typically get "assigned" to commercial companies. We have seen that with almost all rivers with assigned camps. At least for the Middle Fork we all get to sit in a room with the agency acting as referee and we can "work it out." Assigning camps must not give preferential treatment to private business leading tours. I hope you have given consideration to how privilege will be avoided. Cordially yours, Tom
Tom Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #14
Sponsoring Vendors

Paddling Since: 1994
My vote is for keeping it as is. Like Andy, I have never been shut out in 25 years of overnighting in there. I would be fine with some more camps being established.

I think we have much to learn from the way the self registration at ruby horsethief went, which is poorly. It was fine until it saw increased use and then ultimately led to a full on assigned camp permit. With the sign up sheet you had people signing up that never camped, people ignoring that someone was signed up, fights, etc. The real options are first come first served, or full on assigned permit. I vote the former. If there is going to be a permit system implemented, I would really stress the desire for it to be weekends only. I figured this was coming once the designation got pushed through.
Old 1 Week Ago   #15

Buena Vista, Colorado
Thanks guys, this is the kind of stuff I need to hear... and the idea of a permit or self-registration system for campsites is not a foregone conclusion. One of the draft alternatives is the "no action alternative" which would continue all aspects of management exactly as it currently is, and it's important to note that the Browns Canyon NM management plan is for land use only. The Presidential proclamation states that the river will continue to be managed indefinitely by AHRA/CPW, and I just sat in on the 5 year process of rewriting their management plan which only increased private boater capacities.
Old 1 Week Ago   #16

Corrales, New Mexico
My input on overnight trips in Brown's - I'd go with the 'no action alternative.'

As an out of state visitor I think the AHRA stretch from above RR Bridge to Rincon below Salida is amazing. Even though that's almost 50 miles of river I never thought of it as an overnight destination, pretty awesome the way it is now.
southbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #17

Jenks, Oklahoma
My feedback.
I have been floating the ARK almost every year (sometimes multiple weeks) from Fractions down to Canon City, since the 80's. All were long distance drives to get there and most were week long stays. Meaning we spread our vacation money around the business owners along the river.

Never once even thought about doing a over night anywhere along the river. Day trips just easier to manage for us.

I am not saying anything against over nights on the ARK, just saying for me and the various crews I have floated the ARK - day trips have been the way to go.

BV and Salida areas or even down in the canyon down river of Salida have so many really neat places to camp, we have always camped off the ARK and enjoyed setting up camp once, access to cafes, bars and especially pizza in Salida --- that camping on the river never came up.

There are a ton of much better multiday river camping rivers than the ARK my opinion only. Leave it like it is or assign sites and avoid as much as possible more bureaucratic rule makers .
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #18

Buena Vista, Colorado
Ok. Just to give a little more perspective on the topic at hand....

Browns Canyon is a popular overnight trip, particularly on weekends. The main issue, and probably the main reason I have heard private boaters support the idea of a free self-register is that Browns Creek (campsite immediately upstream, river right of Zoom Flume) is the most popular and desirable campsite, but it's also the last "good" campsite. So, everyone holds out hoping it's open and then when it's occupied groups are kicking themselves for not stopping earlier. Definitely not the end of the world, but that is the kinda the idea behind it.

I think a couple of commercial outfitters are in favor of it as well, but that's not a driving factor for me.

and again, this is ONLY pertaining to Browns Canyon National Monument. Not the Ark in it's entirety or the Arkansas Headwaters Recreation Area State Park in general.

Thanks again guys. I appreciate all the comments and opinions.
Old 1 Week Ago   #19

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
It sounds like we're not to the place of needing reserved camp spots yet, but would echo the frustrations with "mouth of the canyon" type sign-ins. It seems like at that point you might as well make the spots first come-first served. IF a reservation system is warranted, I think that having an on-line process makes the most sense.
Creating some additional, responsibly sited campsites could also help prolong the current lack of reservation system. That feels like a good option to me.
Also, I echo the sentiment for back-in access at RR Bridge.
Old 1 Week Ago   #20

Buena Vista, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
It sounds like we're not to the place of needing reserved camp spots yet, but would echo the frustrations with "mouth of the canyon" type sign-ins. It seems like at that point you might as well make the spots first come-first served. IF a reservation system is warranted, I think that having an on-line process makes the most sense.
Creating some additional, responsibly sited campsites could also help prolong the current lack of reservation system. That feels like a good option to me.
Also, I echo the sentiment for back-in access at RR Bridge.
A reservation based system is not even an option right now. The sites would still be "first come, first served" with a free self-registration system, you would just know how many groups are ahead of you camping.... We are talking about the equivalent of a trailhead register. Just a book in a wood or metal case and possibly a small kiosk with some information.

Tags
browns, browns canyon