Boulder Creek Flow - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-23-2017   #1

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Boulder Creek Flow

Just walked over the Broadway Bridge and it looks like Boulder Creek is getting there. I just went to look at the gauges and it appears that "Boulder Creek Near Orodell" no longer exists. This has been my go-to gauge since the 2013 flood with my notes saying >425 CFS on that gauge was good for our 14' raft. The only two operational gauges I see are "Boulder Creek at N 75th" and "Boulder Creek at Mouth Near Longmont."

Without that Orodell gauge I'm lost. Can anyone school me on how to back into what equivalent flows are using the two available gauges? I'm sure today's bump is from the recent rain, but as Indian Peaks melt it would great to be ready to jump on it. Thanks all.

Aknoff is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2017   #2

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Here it is:
BOULDER CREEK NEAR ORODELL (BOCOROCO)
Detail Graph

It's at 250 right now. I can't find the link for Barker Reservoir, but when that spills the creek is usually good to gor for a week or three depending on snowpack.
Old 05-23-2017   #3
GE

additionally, four mile creek is uncharacteristically putting in 120cfs right now, below the orodell gauge, hence the larger flow in on the four mile section and in town
GE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2017   #4

West of Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Yep add Orodell and Four mile at Orodell to get the flow. They are releasing some water out of Barker res right now and it is 10' down from spilling. Things are looking good for a good spill, as we got 3" of moisture out of this last storm up here. At some point they will let it fill and spill, I think they are being careful at this point.
Old 05-23-2017   #5
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
4 mile gauge is worth looking if there's been any recent precip - the burn area tends to let much of the water runoff into the creek. I have most of the relevant stuff correct here, albeit a bit disorganized.

Boulder Creek - River Brain
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017   #6

Boulder, Colorado
Thanks all. I totally forgot that the Orodell gauge is a state gauge and not USGS - thanks for the reminder. Glad it's still there, and good to hear Barker's getting up there.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Old 06-13-2017   #7

Boulder, Colorado
Bumping this back since Boulder Creek is in for rafts. Planning an evening run tonight, but can anyone comment on when the lower bridges (and that one pipe below the high school) get too tight? Boulder at Orodell is showing 647 CFS, and my notes say some bridges were getting tight at 545 CFS. 100 CFS is a big change on a creek that small so figured I'd check to see if anyone knew. Thanks.
Old 06-13-2017   #8

Any guesses when and how high it will peak?

I run a cat with a seat and had no bridge problems at 1000 cfs in 2011.
Not sure what changed with 2013 flood. but I have always liked 500-1000 (Ordell).

Thinking of a Friday evening run if anyone is interested.
Rich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017   #9

Boulder, Colorado
Good to know. Maybe it's the "space mountain effect" on some of those steep, short drops below Broadway where it feels like you're perfectly lined up to take your head off, but actually have tons of space.

We'll be headed to RH on Friday but will be out most evenings this week, assuming we can line up folks to watch our little guy. 14' RMR, red Astral PFD. Enjoy!

- Adam
Old 06-13-2017   #10

Boulder, Colorado
A heads up for anyone rafting the creek. Someone hung a (thick) wooden swing directly above the main current just downstream of the Scott Carpenter Park bike path bridge. It hits roughly bow height on a raft , but is also at the perfect height to clothesline a kayaker. I'll also post this in river hazards, but if someone on a kayak is up for it, it'd be great to cut it down - easily avoidable on a kayak, but very difficult to avoid on a raft and, speaking from experience, hurts like hell when it swings and hits you.

Tags
boulder, boulder creek