Bivystick comm device - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-17-2019   #1

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
Bivystick comm device

Anyone have one of these, how does it compare?

wildh2onriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2019   #2

Jenks, Oklahoma
never had any of these comm devices till bivystick came out.

I purchased a bivystick, it works, and you can activate it month by month. What got me to buy the bivystick was the bivystick contract.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019   #3

Thanks okieboater. Can I ask you what the monthly fees are, how they work? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2019   #4

Jenks, Oklahoma
here is their home page on the plan

https://www.bivystick.com/bivystick-1/

you renew the contract on a monthly basis

go to bivystick.com and all sorts of info also there is a online chat feature that i found very helpful. This is a start up operation basically climbers, bike, boat etc out of salt lake city. Problems are solved fast and I have found them to be super helpful.
Old 01-18-2019   #5

Thanks for the info okieboater.

Quote:
Originally Posted by okieboater View Post
here is their home page on the plan

https://www.bivystick.com/bivystick-1/

you renew the contract on a monthly basis

go to bivystick.com and all sorts of info also there is a online chat feature that i found very helpful. This is a start up operation basically climbers, bike, boat etc out of salt lake city. Problems are solved fast and I have found them to be super helpful.
Old 01-19-2019   #6

SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 1983
I have an Inreach and checked out the Bivy Stick at a booth recently. My only concern is the reliance on a phone connection - if your phone battery dies or somehow your phone isn't accessible, it seems like you are SOL. I like my phone linked to my Inreach, but I have had them come unsynched and had a dead phone battery. The Garmin batteries will last for weeks if used intermittently and the Inreach has a user interface, clumsy but useful in a pinch.
paulster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019   #7

Jenks, Oklahoma
paulster,

You stated a good question.

Bivystick has a suggestion on this in their web page.

The phone app works on other phones and they suggest having other members of your party download the app before the trip so you have a back up.

I have not tested this but the actual Bivystick FAQ's say the battery is very strong especially if not doing constant comm and is designed to provide back up battery charging for smart phones.

Again, I have not tested the capacity of the battery but the folks at Bivystick seem to have.

I have no connection to Bivystick except being a satisfied customer.

David
Old 01-20-2019   #8

SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 1983
Those are good points and it seems like Bivy Stick has thought through those problems. I applaud Bivy Stick and think it is good to have competition in this technology. The only real point to my post was that if you get a Bivy Stick it is really, really important that you have a working phone. I have had my phone become unsynched once in several dozen trips (Inreach) for no apparent reason (who would think that wireless communication between 2 devices could glitch?) and that users should consider their back up options.
paulster is offline   Reply With Quote