Best way to price my raft to sell to a friend - Mountain Buzz

Old 1 Week Ago   #1

Rico, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
Best way to price my raft to sell to a friend

I’m getting out of the rowing game so I’m selling most of my outfit to a neighbor that I really like. I also need to get the (almost) most cash.
What is a fair price on items that are never used but are 10-15 years old, ie Z-drag kit and throw bag, and al the things that get some use but haven’t aged out much - cargo nets and oar locks?
Thanks Buzzards!
Ps I’m not done paddling yet!

t-bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #2

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-bone View Post
Iím getting out of the rowing game so Iím selling most of my outfit to a neighbor that I really like. I also need to get the (almost) most cash.
What is a fair price on items that are never used but are 10-15 years old, ie Z-drag kit and throw bag, and al the things that get some use but havenít aged out much - cargo nets and oar locks?
Thanks Buzzards!
Ps Iím not done paddling yet!

That's a tough one. What's in your wrap kit? If it's like mine, it's worth close to 1000$ to replace all the gear, jumar's, 6 - 2" pulleys, 300' blue water static line, Maasdam rope puller, 30 carabiners, rock chocks, slings, ladder friction device, Fisk descender etc. Without knowing what's in it it's hard to say, and yes, I used to be a swiftwater rescue instructor and like to be prepared, especially in GC

A good method would be to look at the replacement price and deduct 2/3 to a half depending on age and condition of your gear. This accounts for things like a cheapo DRE cargo net vs a bomber Tuffriverstuff cargo net. Throw bags deteriorate from UV, so if it's faded out and flimsy, then not much..

I'm sure there will be those that disagree, but my 2Ę
MNichols is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #3

Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1970
I generally agree with Mnichols. One mistake people who sell make is they compare their asking price to retail. I rarely pay full retail for anything and neither would would- be buyers. Saw a Tomcat IK used for $700 the other day and I bough mine new for $600. I say used gear in good to excellent condition starts at 50% of full retail and goes down based on condition
jgrebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 6 Days Ago   #4

Rico, Colorado
Thanks for the replies. Any idea the value of a 1999 14’ Hyside in very good condition? It’s always been babied and stored meticulously. Thanks!
Old 6 Days Ago   #5

Salida, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-bone View Post
Thanks for the replies. Any idea the value of a 1999 14í Hyside in very good condition? Itís always been babied and stored meticulously. Thanks!

$1500 to $2500 depending on who's buying, and how bad they want it. It's a 20 year old boat no matter how you look at it... I personally were I looking to buy it wouldn't pay a penny more than 1500, but then again, new boats are close to 5 grand so 2000 - 2500 isn't out of the realm of possibility.

My 2Ę
Old 6 Days Ago   #6

Defiance, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Right now you can buy a self bailing 14' RMR for $2500.

For a pristine 1999 with no patches and no failing floor baffles you might go half that price at $1250. If it has any issues at all I would say you are at $1000 for the rubber
noahfecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Days Ago   #7

Salida, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by noahfecks View Post
Right now you can buy a self bailing 14' RMR for $2500.

For a pristine 1999 with no patches and no failing floor baffles you might go half that price at $1250. If it has any issues at all I would say you are at $1000 for the rubber
Yep, but an rmr is a plastic boat, and he has a hyside, comparing apples to grapes LOL... it is 20 years old though...
Old 4 Days Ago   #8

Rico, Colorado
Thanks
Old 4 Days Ago   #9

Bazzaro, Free
Paddling Since: 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNichols View Post
Yep, but an rmr is a plastic boat, and he has a hyside, comparing apples to grapes LOL... it is 20 years old though...
Totally agree the RMR is twice the boat design wise and I'd so rather have a new PVC welded boat than 20 year old hyplon glued boat any day. PVC aint all bad.. Just saying
Old 45 Minutes Ago   #10

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Its a friend, just price a new one and add 15%.
DidNotWinLottery is online now   Reply With Quote