Best river shorts ever - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Boaters Forum | General Boating Topics

Old 09-15-2018   #1
westernCOboater

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2016
Best river shorts ever

Been thru and couple of different river shorts but not completely happy with any of them. Tried Marmots, Prana and various swim suits. Just thought I'd ask for opinions on What are your favorite best ever shorts to wear while rafting and ducky-ing? I mean for day trips and 4-5 days on the river in one pair of shorts.

westernCOboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2018   #2

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
I've had two pairs of fleece line Immersion Research guide shorts for the last decade and have been happy with them and never felt a need to get a new pair. I do want a pair without the fleece though.

I haven't seen them in person, but Sweet Protection makes a few that look super burly and long lasting.
Electric-Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018   #3

NRS guide shorts for me.
BGillespie is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2018   #4

Northwest, Montana
I have NRS guide pants that I really only put the legs on after I'm sunburned - I hate the legs on them. They're a little too warm for desert boating, but for most of my floating they're good. I have some Patagonia board shorts I really like more than the Guide "shorts".
Pigpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018   #5

santa fe, New Mexico
Paddling Since: wet
another vote for patagonia board shorts....stretch hydro version
trueblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018   #6

Englewood, Colorado
Here's a good pick, and cheap too: L.L. Bean Swift River (or is it Swift Water?) shorts. Features:

-mesh liner, like a swim suit
-key clip sewn into the front pocket
-open front pockets, 2 velcro-close pockets in back
-small zippered cargo pocket
-best (to me) feature is that the fabric is light, but not flimsy, khaki-colored nylon. It's pretty good at keeping you cool on really hot days, dries quick.

Comes with an adjustable clip belt, removable. I just checked (I forgot the name), $39 on sale.

-Tom
Tom Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018   #7

Livingston, Montana
Paddling Since: 1974
Old Patagonia River Shorts are my favorites. Sure wish they still made 'em! Check out Atmosphere Mountain Works in Laramie, WY. Great shorts as well.
mtgreenheads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018   #8

Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1987
patagonia baggies longs

wish they still made the baggies pants, best river pants ever. ever.
Sycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018   #9

Fort Fun, Colorado
Paddling Since: 94
I used to get these custom shorts for work by Nikki, I think they were in Idaho. External web belt built in, zippered front pockets to keep things in and not snag on oars and double layered material on the seat. I measure all river shorts compared to them as they were the best.

Man, I wish I could find them again. I still have some old ones from then but the inseam is shorter than I like or my 14 year old daughter finds acceptable to be out in public in - of course that is why I sometimes I still wear them.....
trevko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018   #10

Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
These Stio shorts are really nice. Only draw back is they don't have a belt loop IMHO

https://www.stio.com/mens-cfs-short
Eagle Mapper is online now   Reply With Quote