Best outfitter and river to work? - Mountain Buzz

Old 1 Week Ago   #1
Nacho Chili Cheese Fries

Marysville, 95901
Paddling Since: 1986
Best outfitter and river to work?

Getting ready to retire for good this time. Looking to travel and hook up with a good outfitter and ride out some years on a river somewhere.

25+ years guiding many rivers. I have all my certs updated and ready. Curious if anyone has a favorite river and outfitter they have worked for (within the last couple years), or currently working for?

I realize this is very subjective but I would like to hear from the commercial guides out there.

Jake

Jakesktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #2

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Whitewater Adventure Outfitters on the Arkansas in Canon City Colorado. Tony and Kathy are super people that run a high quality operation and treat you like family.
MNichols is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #3

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
MT/Idaho:
Tarkio out of Missoula is a good operation, as are 3Rivers and Lewis & Clark.

OARS always seems like a good crew when I've encountered them on the Main Salmon.

Personally, I'd avoid River Odysseys West out of Spokane WA/Lowell ID. Have had some shitty experiences around them over the years on the Lochsa and Alberton Gorge.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #4
Nacho Chili Cheese Fries

Marysville, 95901
fantastic!! Thank you My daughter works for OARS in California. Thought about just joining that outfit but looking more for good mom and pop operations (less corporate) that take care of their guides (Not that OARS doesn't). Keep 'em comin!

I'm looking into the one's suggested now.
Old 1 Week Ago   #5

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
yeah, OARS is corporate, but the way their guides act on the river, it's clear they're well taken-care of . I've had a LOT of positive interactions with their crew (and I'm saying this as a private) and that doesn't happen in a vacuum.

And I'm a dory guy..and seeing how so many old GCD guides are still with the new company 30+years later, that says a LOT.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #6
Psychedelic Pirate

Grants Pass, Jefferson
Paddling Since: 1999
Are you interested in raft guiding, fish, or both? My 2 cents: I would want to plants roots with an outfitter that would keep me busy, offer a variety of different itineraries, and have multiple rivers to choose from. I know that Oars, Row, and NW all offer international itineraries.
RogueGuide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #7
Nacho Chili Cheese Fries

Marysville, 95901
Raft guiding, fishing, dories, multi-days and big water.

Ideally an outfitter with permits on multiple rivers who does great multi days (sounds like OARS). Dories would be amazing (Sounds like OARS)! I've always wanted to get back to the MoFoSalmon, Selway, and Lochsa. Maybe even settle down in Salmon/North Fork.
Old 1 Week Ago   #8
Psychedelic Pirate

Grants Pass, Jefferson
Paddling Since: 1999
Sounds like you have your answer sir. And in record time too! I'm looking forward to seeing your filled out application for OARS posted on MB!
RogueGuide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #9

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Short seasons and low water get you down? Come out to Ohiopyle and work for Laurel Highlands then head down to WV for Gauley season. If you want to stay on a little harder water than the lower yough most of the time, hit up precision rafting in Friendsville. Cheap housing, lots of rivers, and lots of rain. Close to the Baltimore/D.C./Pittsburgh population centers.
k2andcannoli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #10
Nacho Chili Cheese Fries

Marysville, 95901
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueGuide View Post
Sounds like you have your answer sir. And in record time too! I'm looking forward to seeing your filled out application for OARS posted on MB!
these applications are pretty serious! Last time I worked commercially they asked me if I thought I could get "these folks down that river" extending a paddle in the pointed direction of the river! Thing have changed!