Best outfitter and river to work? - Page 4 - Mountain Buzz

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #31

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
I used to run multi-week adventure travel programs for 30-50 people per trip with a logistics staff of myself and two others. You couldn't pay me enough money to want to be on call 24/7 anymore (The reality when you are in charge). I got to travel the world while getting paid well but at a certain point you realize many of the people you bring into these special place aren't deserving of them or at the least don't afford them their due respect. I due enjoy swimming custies and then going home, which is why I'm a paddle guide kinda guy.

Additionally, are oar driven overnights trips actually guiding or captaining? They certainly are more different than akin to short and exhilarating day trips.

k2andcannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #32

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
I would work for an Outfitter in Idaho that has a Middle Fork Salmon permit and a Selway permit that is the golden ticket IMHO. That's what I did when I was "retired" in my 20s. OR go find a great Outfitter that runs tons of Grand trips in boats not the motor rig crap trips and spend lots of time down there.
Riverwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #33
Nacho Chili Cheese Fries

Marysville, 95901
Paddling Since: 1986
I am going to apply with ARTA. They do 1-3 day trips here in California on the Tuolumne (one of my favorites) and are one of only 5 permitted raft outfitters on the Selway. They also have permits on other favorited rivers of mine, except the Grand Canyon. And "maybe" I would rather hold that river in reserve for private boating. Gotta keep something sacred!
Jakesktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #34

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Hey one more thought from me ( I have lots, and some are definitely better than others!)
Getting out and renta guiding, some, can be a great thing.
I’m sure you’ve done your share, but thought I’d bring it up. I did a lot of that down on the Ark, and you really learn which companys you enjoy working for.
After my home company closed, I knew which one I wanted to move to.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #35

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
One other aspect of guiding that came up when I looked into it is, at least with most outfitters that do multi-day stuff and definitely the Grand Canyon, require that you have a Wilderness First Responder certification and some other requirements like Food preparation certifications. At the very least, a WFR and Swift Water certification under you belt will look good on a resume/application.

I kinda wish it wasn't the case because its just not the kind of thing I'm psyched about having to take and maintain. I'm all about supporting people in an emergency but its just not in my wheelhouse to be a "emergency medical professional".
Electric-Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric-Mayhem View Post
One other aspect of guiding that came up when I looked into it is, at least with most outfitters that do multi-day stuff and definitely the Grand Canyon, require that you have a Wilderness First Responder certification and some other requirements like Food preparation certifications. At the very least, a WFR and Swift Water certification under you belt will look good on a resume/application.

I kinda wish it wasn't the case because its just not the kind of thing I'm psyched about having to take and maintain. I'm all about supporting people in an emergency but its just not in my wheelhouse to be a "emergency medical professional".
You can take a weeklong certification for your WFR or OEC and it is good for three years. Once you have it it only requires a 24 hour refresher every three years that is usually offered through your outfitter or there are other local opportunities especially here in the mountains where we have ski patrol recertifying all the time. I got mine back in 2003 when I started working on the grand and I’ve kept it current since and I’ve been happy to have it 🙂 around 2012 or so I did also have to do a one day foodhandlers certification through Coconino county but I have not heard of that requirement anywhere else.
mkashzg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #37

Lakewood, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkashzg View Post
You can take a weeklong certification for your WFR or OEC and it is good for three years. Once you have it it only requires a 24 hour refresher every three years that is usually offered through your outfitter or there are other local opportunities especially here in the mountains where we have ski patrol recertifying all the time. I got mine back in 2003 when I started working on the grand and I’ve kept it current since and I’ve been happy to have it 🙂 around 2012 or so I did also have to do a one day foodhandlers certification through Coconino county but I have not heard of that requirement anywhere else.
Yeah...I know. I took two days of a 10 day intensive WFR cert course a couple years back before some non-obvious health issues that became apparant during the course led the instructor to ask me to leave the course (conveniently only giving me a 50% refund while doing so...the owner is a d-bag and his business has since failed and shut down). Just those two days were enough to make me realize that its just not something I really want to complete.

I'm happy to assist and take instruction from someone, but I'm just not well suited to being in charge of a situation that requires the use of a WFR cert and would rather not feel obligated. The only reason I was taking it was because its a requirement in the GC and other places to be a guide...but just don't want anything to do with it. I guess I see why they want it...but I just wish it wasn't an absolute requirement down there.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #38
Psychedelic Pirate

Grants Pass, Jefferson
Paddling Since: 1999
Quote:
.....I'm all about supporting people in an emergency but its just not in my wheelhouse to be a "emergency medical professional".....
[QUOTE=Electric-Mayhem;752387]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkashzg View Post
.I'm happy to assist and take instruction from someone, but I'm just not well suited to being in charge of a situation that requires the use of a WFR cert and would rather not feel obligated. The only reason I was taking it was because its a requirement in the GC and other places to be a guide...
If you spend any amount of time on the trail, bike, raft, boat, or whatever your outdoor passion is, you should want this training and knowledge! People that don't see the value in this kind of training are the kinda guys that buy a $200 premade first aid kit. Buying the tools doesn't make you a mechanic. Knowing how to use them does. We all want to come back to our loved ones from our adventures. This kind of training is for your own betterment. I'm a year- round outdoor athlete and as such I'm current in my WWR-Pro, WFR, TRR, and i'm certified to teach CPR. The WWR-Pro is the highest swift water rescue certification that sierra rescue offers. I love mountaineering and spend a good amount of time chasing various summits so I've even taken classes on crevasse rescue. These classes are to make you a better outdoorsman. You don't have to jump in to save the day but you will at least learn to recognize a situation and not panic. I'm going for my wilderness EMT cert soon. Not for them but for me. Granted yeah companies pay you more per day with every cert but the real value is in the knowledge in how to get you and your friends home safe.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #39

Lakewood, Colorado
[QUOTE=RogueGuide;752409]
Quote:
If you spend any amount of time on the trail, bike, raft, boat, or whatever your outdoor passion is, you should want this training and knowledge! People that don't see the value in this kind of training are the kinda guys that buy a $200 premade first aid kit. Buying the tools doesn't make you a mechanic. Knowing how to use them does. We all want to come back to our loved ones from our adventures. This kind of training is for your own betterment. I'm a year- round outdoor athlete and as such I'm current in my WWR-Pro, WFR, TRR, and i'm certified to teach CPR. The WWR-Pro is the highest swift water rescue certification that sierra rescue offers. I love mountaineering and spend a good amount of time chasing various summits so I've even taken classes on crevasse rescue. These classes are to make you a better outdoorsman. You don't have to jump in to save the day but you will at least learn to recognize a situation and not panic. I'm going for my wilderness EMT cert soon. Not for them but for me. Granted yeah companies pay you more per day with every cert but the real value is in the knowledge in how to get you and your friends home safe.
I get it and acknowledge your point of view.... but not everyone is cut out for being in charge of emergency medical situations and I'm one of those. Frankly, I want no part in making rapid emergency medical decisions for someone... its just not how I'm wired. It was clear to me during the few days I took a course that I am just not the right person to have and use a WFR certification. Having that certification and not being willing to use it puts me in a position I'm not comfortable with.

I've been doing outdoors stuff since I was 6-7 years old, was in the boyscouts and have a lot of experience which I deem to be more then sufficient to keep me and the people I go with safe if a trip has an emergency. I have basic first Aid and CPR training and deem that to be enough.

I outright disagree that every outdoor enthusiast needs a WFR and certainly not a WEMT. Basic Wilderness First Aid and CPR is as much as most people should ever need. I think its great that you find it to be useful and am certainly glad that people like you take it upon themselves to gain the knowledge and expertise to help people during a wilderness emergency. I would 100% be by your side helping in whatever way you asked me to...but I'm not gonna be the one making the decisions and that is the main distinction I make.

Sorry to hijack your thread with this stuff Jake. I guess its technically part of the guiding experience...but this is small microcosm of it. I guess it wouldn't be Mountainbuzz if a thread didn't degrade into a potentially thread derailing focus on a single subject with varying points of view.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #40
Psychedelic Pirate

Grants Pass, Jefferson
Paddling Since: 1999
🤙My 14 year old freshman son is taking first aid and cpr as a high school class.
We preach the power of furthering your education in every aspect of life. This is no different. Its not about taking point during the situation. It's about understanding it better. Think of how scared clients/friends are that are not familiar with rafting, rapids, and reading water. What they deem dangerous and scary are things that we just laugh at. Not meant to sound rude just applying the same logic. Level up your skills brother! It's better for you, your SO, and it's better for the entire outdoor community!✌️