Best outfitter and river to work? - Page 3 - Mountain Buzz

Old 1 Week Ago   #21
Psychedelic Pirate

Grants Pass, Jefferson
Paddling Since: 1999
Wow! A rafting company with a retirement plan and health insurance! Perhaps Jakesktm won't be the only OARS application posted on MB...........

Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #22

Roaring Fork Valley, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
I'm confused as to why this entire thread is acting like Oars is the only rafting company that exists?
Blade&Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #23
Psychedelic Pirate

Grants Pass, Jefferson
I definitely named more than just OARS when I was suggesting companies to plant roots. I also recommend ROW and NW. It seems most people here just have more connections to OARS. I don't work for OARS but with benefits like that you can be sure I'm interested.
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #24

FOCO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 91
Three thoughts
1.for the love of god donít even kind of think about working at the same company as your daughter, EVER!!
2. A little surprised when people are discussing companies that location isnít a bigger deal. If your truly wanting to get after it and boat, destination may be more important then company.
3. A company that takes really good care of there guides, but there isnít enough work, or your constantly doing a boring stretch, or the season is only 2 and a half months isnít a great option. Some places you will be doing overnights all the time, some places you do the same stretch twice a day everyday.

So guess Iím really saying figure out where you want to boat, then look at the companies that are there. If I had to do the Moab daily every single day, Pretty sure I would lose my mind, but when itís part of a multiday itís about as pretty as it can get.
And yes West Virginia really is as good as all the hype, with a long season and tons of great boating.
Critter70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #25

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Critter70 View Post
2. A little surprised when people are discussing companies that location isnít a bigger deal. If your truly wanting to get after it and boat, destination may be more important then company.
^^^
This!
MT4Runner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #26

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
I'm not a guide...but I've looked into it and have friends that are. OARS looks like its a great outfit, but I get the feeling that they are a "do it our way or you won't get called back" kinda corporate mentality. If their style seems to work for you...then great. If not... there are certainly plenty of options.

For me...my main goal with being a guide would be to do more runs down rivers that private boaters have a usage cap on or the permits are hard to get. This means Central Idaho (MFS, Main Salmon, Selway, etc) and the Grand Canyon.

I think my ideal season would start with the Salt river, then Grand Canyon trips during shoulder season and early season, then once the Central Idaho season starts go up there, then once that goes away back to Grand Canyon for a few trips and maybe end up out on the Gauley for end of season. I believe OARS does all of those (maybe not the Gauley), but you could certainly mix it up and work for a bunch of other companies. Plenty of awesome concessions companies on the Grand Canyon to choose from and plenty of outfitters on other rivers. Might be nice to just work for one place though...and OARS certainly provides for that.

All of that said...the people I talk to that work for OARS say there is certainly a hierarchy and as a new guide you aren't guaranteed to get to run the rivers you'd actually want to be running. Many of them get stuck on the "easy" less spectacular runs for a while before getting the more desirable runs.

Being a former guide you probably know this, but as I've researched all of this and thought about it... the idea that you'd just be running the rivers and getting to enjoy yourself isn't the entire picture. There will certainly be a ton of work involved with this "retirement". You aren't there for yourself as much as you are there to cater to the customers beck and call. Especially on the multi-days, you'll basically be on call 20 hours a day and required to do the work that private boaters share amongst themselves every day with only a few other guides sharing the work.

All of that makes me wonder, when I eventually retire, whether it might be a lot more fun to just sell all my crap, move into a Van RV with my raft on a trailer and minimize costs and try to do as many rivers as I can as a private boater. Maybe do the odd job every once in a while to make a bit of spending money. I don't know...maybe food for thought. It sounds awesome either way...looking forward to some variant of this myself.
Electric-Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #27
Nacho Chili Cheese Fries

Marysville, 95901
Paddling Since: 1986
I appreciate all the advice and recommends... RogueGuide did mention ROW and NW. I'm absolutely curious about the Appalachian rivers too. I could see myself getting a cabin somewhere in East Tennessee or WV and just guiding all different sections, but my heart is in multi-days and those long canyon and northwest river trips. And the fishing is better out west.

I am fortunate to have the American River in my backyard, which might be the best way to get back into it, though I do not relish doing the same day trips every day for years. I know guides who did this who were perfectly happy. Not what I am going after.

I want multi days. I want multi rivers. Which means I need to focus on companies with large itineraries and many permits.

On the American River we have OARS and ARTA with the multi permits. ARTA has permits in California, Idaho and Utah which is ideal. OARS has multi permits everywhere. ARTA has the Selway, OARS does not.

ROW is based in CDA which is close to where I''m keen to retire and they have Idaho permits except the Selway. They have the Rogue also, which is a favorite of mine.
Jakesktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #28
Psychedelic Pirate

Grants Pass, Jefferson
ARTA is on the Rogue as well Jake!
Old 1 Week Ago   #29

FOCO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 91
Ok time for some more talk about the reality versus the vision.
One really great advantage to running a difficult river over and over everyday (like the Gauley) you will get way better, way more comfortable, way faster, and makes your river log look way better so you can get hired on better rivers.
Rememberthat most sections of river you are required to have a certain amount of runs on before you can be commercial on it. So if you start at a company wanting to run five different rivers and they are all three day multiday trips, and your required to have run them 7 times each you can spend an entire season just getting checked out, plus your just barely checked out so if itís a hard run that the senior guides want to do................... you get the picture, it can take multiple seasonto be working on the stretch you want.
Critter70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #30

thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
The best river Outfitters to work for are the ones that will hire you first, send out your application to your top five and go from there. Seems like your narrowing it down here on MB which ones are best. Good luck, sounds like exciting times to me.....P.S. really sugar coat that application and really make it pop, to work yourself to the top of the list.
raymo is offline   Reply With Quote