Best outfitter and river to work? - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #11

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakesktm View Post
Raft guiding, fishing, dories, multi-days and big water.

Ideally an outfitter with permits on multiple rivers who does great multi days (sounds like OARS). Dories would be amazing (Sounds like OARS)! I've always wanted to get back to the MoFoSalmon, Selway, and Lochsa. Maybe even settle down in Salmon/North Fork.
If I really wanted to guide dories, seems that owning a dory would get you to the head of the line faster.

(At least that's the little voice in my head of the dory in my garage telling me I should quit my day job and do just that!)

MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #12

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 94
Hi Jake,

It sounds like our circumstances might not be all that different. I started guided almost exactly 25 years ago. After spending that last 10 years or so 'settling down' I was able to go part time at work and go back to guiding part time this last summer. I hope to be able to keep this balance until I can't get into the boat anymore. So who did I go with? Oars, out of the Vernal base, and they've been awesome to work for.

I get what you're saying about the benefits of a smaller, well run, outfit. That would normally be a priority to me as well but I couldn't be happier that I ended up at Oars. You know as much as I do if you're daughter guides for them but I've never seen a outfit that does as much to take care of their guides as they do. Each base seems to be run pretty independently as well so it doesn't feel like as big of a company as it is. I also love that there is the potential to get out and work a variety of other rivers as well as out of your 'home base.' I've still got to earn my chops there but I will get on a Dory one day.

That's my two cents. I don't know if I could tell you anything that your daughter couldn't but let me know if you have any questions about my experience there.

-Eddie
eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #13

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4Runner View Post
If I really wanted to guide dories, seems that owning a dory would get you to the head of the line faster.

(At least that's the little voice in my head of the dory in my garage telling me I should quit my day job and do just that!)
From what I am told, if you have your own dory, it can be really awesome working for Oars, cause you not only get guide pay, but you get payed well for using your own boat.
I know one guide that does that ( been guiding forever, and he pretty much gets his choice of where to work, believe he spent this season in the GC).
My other friend at the Dino office is really happy there to. I’ve been on private trips with several of the Dino guides over the years, and always great boaters, and great people.

I never renta guided for WAO when I was down there, but I always spent a lot of time boating and hanging out with there guides. Every last one of them that I knew was awesome. Always Got along with Tony and Kathy, for how well I knew them.
If I ever end up lost in this life, there’s a good chance I’ll end up down on the Ark, the place just feels like coming back home to me...
Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #14

Fraser, Colorado
Well, ya know what Warren Miller always told us...
“If you don’t do it this year, you’ll just be another year older, when you do”!
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #15

Fraser, Colorado
Ya know, if I could go back to just being a raft guide, right now, and could work on any river I wanted to, I would be in the bottom of the Grand Canyon, for as much as this earthly life, would allow.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #16
Nacho Chili Cheese Fries

Marysville, 95901
Paddling Since: 1986
thank you everyone for sharing your input. I had no idea about owner coop'd dories. That sure would be a great way to get on the GC.

@ Eddie - that's so cool. My daughter is in Logan UT going to college and wants to get to the Vernal outpost in the next two seasons. I'm glad to hear the company is treating you guys well. She seems very happy. I have avoided her outpost (Coloma, CA) just to give her space - but I would so love to work the same river with her while I can. Soon she will be all over the world. May I ask - did OARS make you go through guide school all over again or did they hire you with your years of boating experience? Did you get to guide right away?
Jakesktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #17

Buena Vista, Colorado
Hey Jake, sent you a pm.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #18

Portland, Oregon
Curious when you guys say OARS "takes care of their guides", what does this mean specifically or even just in general? What makes an outfitter a "good" place to work?

pete
blueskypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #19
Psychedelic Pirate

Grants Pass, Jefferson
Paddling Since: 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskypete View Post
Curious when you guys say OARS "takes care of their guides", what does this mean specifically or even just in general? What makes an outfitter a "good" place to work?

pete
For me it's definitely pay, schedule, and itineraries. I like staying busy, being compensated accordingly, and having a variety of different trips to choose from. So far this season I've done a 47 day straight run, 15 turn and burn trips, 26 trips total, 5 different itineraries, and 80 days and counting on the water. I like staying busy. I'm married with a mortgage so the other details of guide life don't really affect me as much. Things like amenities at the guide house, camp, or getting fed for free.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #20

Buena Vista, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueGuide View Post
For me it's definitely pay, schedule, and itineraries. I like staying busy, being compensated accordingly, and having a variety of different trips to choose from. So far this season I've done a 47 day straight run, 15 turn and burn trips, 26 trips total, 5 different itineraries, and 80 days and counting on the water. I like staying busy. I'm married with a mortgage so the other details of guide life don't really affect me as much. Things like amenities at the guide house, camp, or getting fed for free.
I'll add a few things to this... Returning guides with Oars can start to qualify for reimbursement of their health insurance premium and they will also contribute to your pretax retirement deduction. A rafting company with benefits, what!! They also provide resources for addressing mental health issues. Most anyone who's guided for awhile can attest that after the highs of a season you can sometimes get a little bummed out waiting for the next gig. These are just two examples that I think illustrate a company that wants to take care of their employees.