Yeah, Josh, it's hard to gage what's going on outside the world of MB and a Facebook group. Right now all we really know are:
- BCDC's fired their outside attorneys, as if the law firm was going rogue and doing this stuff without knowledge and approval of the highest levels of management (which is absurd),
- Lots of folks have made their disapproval very evident and there's a Boycott BCDC FB group that's 22,500+ strong,
- Now that they've been caught and there's a backlash, BCDC has issued a public apology for the stuff they've been doing for the last two years (see post #31 above),
- BCDC filed suit or sent cease and desist orders to over 50 entities that had "Backcountry" in their names, some went out of business because of it, gag rules were standard in these so no one can talk about what was done to them without serious repercussions.
- BCDC has also made some partnership agreements with several of the small businesses they bullied and that were mentioned in the original article.
I'm sure knowledge of this has made it to other outdoor recreation groups but don't know the extent of what's going on outside MB and the FB group.
It's likely that BCDC, with their PR firm, is hoping they can just wait this out, saying they hear the uproar, and that they'll change. The kind of corporate narcissists that run the company, and the equity firm that owns BCDC, only change when they're forced to by very painful experiences, and even then the change is only what's needed to appease enough customers they can continue making a profit. BCDC is counting on their former customers to forget about it and start buying again in a month or two, if not in time for Christmas.