backcountry.com Sues Anyone Who Uses "Backcountry" in Name - Page 6 - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Boaters Forum | General Boating Topics

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #51

Blue River, Colorado
A quick search reveals Wal-Mart owns them. Damn, I gotta start researching this kind of thing. It explains why I saw a steal of a deal on Cataract blades last summer on WalMart.com. I couldn't understand how Wal-Mart could carry those blades and fulfill the order.

cdcfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Day Ago   #52

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Washington Post Article

Hey Folks, it'd be a bummer if some of us spaced out and logged onto BCDC to do Christmas shopping when this company so greatly deserves to be boycotted through retail's biggest season.

Also, the co-founder and reporter at the Colorado Sun got the article into the WAPO so here's the read:

As Backcountry.com discovered, outdoor-recreation fans are joining together

Shop locally,

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Day Ago   #53

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
I'd be interested to find out the real world impact this has had for them. I hope it is profound and that others in the outdoor industry have taken note.

I can't help but think that it might just be a momentary setback or that it only made a modest difference to their sales. I always think these are a much bigger deal then they turn out to be and that the average user ether doesn't care or never knew about it in the first place.
Electric-Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Day Ago   #54

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Yeah, Josh, it's hard to gage what's going on outside the world of MB and a Facebook group. Right now all we really know are:
  • BCDC's fired their outside attorneys, as if the law firm was going rogue and doing this stuff without knowledge and approval of the highest levels of management (which is absurd),
  • Lots of folks have made their disapproval very evident and there's a Boycott BCDC FB group that's 22,500+ strong,
  • Now that they've been caught and there's a backlash, BCDC has issued a public apology for the stuff they've been doing for the last two years (see post #31 above),
  • BCDC filed suit or sent cease and desist orders to over 50 entities that had "Backcountry" in their names, some went out of business because of it, gag rules were standard in these so no one can talk about what was done to them without serious repercussions.
  • BCDC has also made some partnership agreements with several of the small businesses they bullied and that were mentioned in the original article.

I'm sure knowledge of this has made it to other outdoor recreation groups but don't know the extent of what's going on outside MB and the FB group.

It's likely that BCDC, with their PR firm, is hoping they can just wait this out, saying they hear the uproar, and that they'll change. The kind of corporate narcissists that run the company, and the equity firm that owns BCDC, only change when they're forced to by very painful experiences, and even then the change is only what's needed to appease enough customers they can continue making a profit. BCDC is counting on their former customers to forget about it and start buying again in a month or two, if not in time for Christmas.

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Old 7 Hours Ago   #55

Arnold, California
Keep in mind this applies to their outlet site “SteepandCheap.com”.
Maybe next they’ll go after any company with “Cheap” in the name
Old 6 Hours Ago   #56
Sponsoring Vendors

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy H. View Post
Hey Folks, it'd be a bummer if some of us spaced out and logged onto BCDC to do Christmas shopping when this company so greatly deserves to be boycotted through retail's biggest season.

Also, the co-founder and reporter at the Colorado Sun got the article into the WAPO so here's the read:

As Backcountry.com discovered, outdoor-recreation fans are joining together

Shop locally,

-AH
After all this, I guess we won't be trade marking "Down River" anytime soon.

www.DOWNRIVEREQUIP.com
Toll Free: 1-888-467-2144
Down River Equipment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Hours Ago   #57

Castle Rock, Colorado
Just go for “river.” Think of all the money you would get from all the hard working small businesses! Gold mine!
Sparks1000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Hours Ago   #58

Costa Mesa, California
Paddling Since: 1985
Does anybody remember when Specialized bicycles did the same thing?

https://www.velonews.com/2013/12/bik...e-brand_310878

I am surprised Backcountry didn't remember this. It was a disaster and it was only one little Canadian shop.
studytime is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Minutes Ago   #59

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by studytime View Post

https://www.velonews.com/2013/12/bik...e-brand_310878
Thanks for the article. One question: If, as the article states:

Quote:
Specialized holds trademarks for Epic and Stumpjumper and all the rest;
How come they haven't sued Vail Resorts over the Epic Pass and Epic everything under the sun?

Somehow I've got a feeling it's because VRI could fight back.

Sorry, I'm a little grumpy and cynical tonight...

Screw BDCD!

Tags
backcountry

« Which one? | - »