backcountry.com Sues Anyone Who Uses "Backcountry" in Name - Page 5 - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Boaters Forum | General Boating Topics

Old 1 Week Ago   #41

Fort Collins
I found it interesting that the backcountry access guys traded a shovel to the backcountry.com guys for the backcountryaccees.com domain way back in the day. Mentioned in the colorado sun article posted earlier. That is how the community rolls, and what makes it great.

I am bummed by this because I really liked backcountry, bought a couple boats from them, paddles, pfds and other camping gear over the years. Once had my gearhead call me out of the blue to see how I was liking a purchase, and he nearly invited me on a Hells Canyon trip. It was a fun conversation.

What they are doing now isn't cool, and I let them know how I felt. I am definitely taking a break from giving them money, but I hope they can pull their heads out, and fix this. Granted, to me fixing this would involve restoring the small companies to their status before backcountry lawyered up on them, and I'm not sure how feasible that is.

Grrrrrrr.

Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #42

Eagle, Colorado
This private equity firm is more than likely who's behind this mess to begin with. They own BCDC.

TSG Consumer Partners

Take a quick tour of their "Team" and you'll quickly realize that they don't give a shit about your concerns. I doubt any of them have ever slept in a tent, paddled a boat or climbed a hill.
jalthage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #43

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
There is an online petition that was just launched addressed to the CEO.

https://www.ipetitions.com/petition/...daC3VeT5u9vNWg
theusualsuspect is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 6 Days Ago   #44

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Seems the backlash really hit them hard, in todays paper

“We have heard your feedback and concerns and understand we fumbled in how we pursued trademark claims recently,” Backcountry.com CEO Jonathan Nielsen wrote in an open letter posted on the retailer’s website, noting his company was dropping a federal lawsuit filed against the founder and sole operator of Marquette Backcountry Ski. “We made a mistake.”

Full story:
https://coloradosun.com/2019/11/06/b...mark-lawsuits/
MNichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Days Ago   #45

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
I've really liked Backcountry.com because of their past support for public lands. And they've always gotten the lion's share of my gear budget. But I hate to spend $$ anywhere that acts unethically. I've unsubscribed from their newsletters and sent a message to "my gearhead".

Got the form message as above including the information that: "we have severed ties with the outside council who has been litigating our trademark disputes, paused all outstanding litigation on trademark cases and are working to repair relationships we’ve damaged over the last 2-years...."

But I've gotta see that. I'm not "boycotting". I'm just choosing how to spend my $$.

BTW. NOTHING about this posted on their website. I can wait.
Canyon Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Days Ago   #46

Jenks, Oklahoma
Having worked many years in the retail industry, I followed this thread with a lot of interest.

I can attest to the fact that no company wants or can handle a vocal and long term revolt from their customers.

Nothing hurts worse than loosing long term customers especially if they post in the media exactly what drove them away. Return customers are like free sales without the advertising costs to entice people to buy.

My bet is the CEO probably did not pay much attention to this entire deal until (again most likely) the Sales V/P and/or Advertising V/P had a face to face discussion of customer feedback. Either or both loss of sales or prospective loss of sales. Sales are a primary part of most executive bonus plans therefore most executives follow sales numbers pretty intently. Feedback that put the company in a terrible situation as far as retaining sales or getting new sales makes a difference in company actions.

Bottom line to me is when message board like the Buzz showcase just how upset customers are and showcase ways to get feedback to that company that is public. Executives usually take corrective action.

I often see posts that say the Buzz is dead or posts stuff that are not very important.

However, in this case I applaud the Buzz and it's members by making the public aware of just how crazy the company was using a word like
backcountry that is pretty much in the public domain to create havoc in the market place.

Bottom Line: Way to go Buzz members --- Good Job!!1
okieboater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Days Ago   #47

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Quote:
Originally Posted by okieboater View Post
Having worked many years in the retail industry, I followed this thread with a lot of interest.

I can attest to the fact that no company wants or can handle a vocal and long term revolt from their customers.

Nothing hurts worse than loosing long term customers especially if they post in the media exactly what drove them away. Return customers are like free sales without the advertising costs to entice people to buy.

My bet is the CEO probably did not pay much attention to this entire deal until (again most likely) the Sales V/P and/or Advertising V/P had a face to face discussion of customer feedback. Either or both loss of sales or prospective loss of sales. Sales are a primary part of most executive bonus plans therefore most executives follow sales numbers pretty intently. Feedback that put the company in a terrible situation as far as retaining sales or getting new sales makes a difference in company actions.

Bottom line to me is when message board like the Buzz showcase just how upset customers are and showcase ways to get feedback to that company that is public. Executives usually take corrective action.

I often see posts that say the Buzz is dead or posts stuff that are not very important.

However, in this case I applaud the Buzz and it's members by making the public aware of just how crazy the company was using a word like
backcountry that is pretty much in the public domain to create havoc in the market place.

Bottom Line: Way to go Buzz members --- Good Job!!1
Totally agree. I think there was a backlash on some other outdoor forum sites that are even bigger then Mountainbuzz plus all over facebook too. I'm sure the customer service and "gearheads" have been getting an earful too.

I think it was less then obvious, at least to me, before this that they were some big corporate company though now that I say that it should have been. They definitely had accomplished the feel of being a close knit enthusiast owned company that had good deals and sent stuff quickly.

I think that image is well and truly gone for me. The curtain has been pulled as it were...and I'm not sure it will be able to close. Its correlates them closer in my mind to Walmart or Dick's Sporting Goods or the like and that makes me less willing to do business with them. I still buy stuff from those companies on occasion...but only as a last resort or if they have such crazy lower prices that I can't justify getting it somewhere else (though I'm still prone to avoiding buying something if that is the case).

There are other places to find good decently priced gear... not sure there will be anything to get me to buy from Backcountry again regardless of how they handle all of the litigious trademark bullshit they got caught doing.
Electric-Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Days Ago   #48

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Been almost two weeks since they posted to Twitter or Instagram which isnt the norm for them at all. On top of that there are thousands of comments with people voicing their displeasure. Im sure theyve heard. Interesting to see what they do next. Black Friday right around the corner, Im guessing we see some significant response. Time will tell what it is.
theusualsuspect is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Days Ago   #49

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
They keep those great sales going in combination with 8-15% cash back via ibotta and nothing will stop buying their crap.
k2andcannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Hours Ago   #50

Blue River, Colorado
I recently got an NRS frame from moosejaw. The price was great and so was the customer service. I'm hoping they aren't owned by the same parent corporation.
cdcfly is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
backcountry