backcountry.com Sues Anyone Who Uses "Backcountry" in Name - Page 4 - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Boaters Forum | General Boating Topics

Old 1 Week Ago   #31

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Apparently they released a statement today. Someone posted this annotated version to the Boycott Backcountrydotcom FB group so we can read between the lines (click to embiggen):

Among the comments was this nugget:

Quote:
I work with crisis management and brand protection. They have bad advisors. They did a mistake, we all do, but when we learn that it was wrong we have to take full responsibility and do everything possible to minimize damage for 3rd parties first.
The letter shows that he have listened, but that they really don't understand what they did wrong. And that they focus on the damage they have created on themself instead of the damage they have created on others.

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #32

Boise, ID
Paddling Since: '99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy H. View Post
Dear Gawd....

I can't help but wonder if somewhere there's a guy trying to figure out how he can get a patent on oxygen and then charge everyone to breathe.
Its not too far off in the future.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	21CC6AB2-79B7-40DC-B3DE-16438387C17D.png
Views:	14
Size:	349.9 KB
ID:	40481  
Conundrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #33

Fort Collins
Well, they are feeling the pressure, and have started to respond to the issue.

https://www.snewsnet.com/gear/backco...ademark-blowup

I'm not in marketing, but I would be interested to see what their sales charts are doing.

It mentions loss of 11,000 customers, which also makes me wonder how large their customer base is.
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #34

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
#FreeThePink hopefully this catches on with the ladies. Social media may once again become enjoyable.
k2andcannoli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #35

Bazzaro, Free
Paddling Since: 2020
I hate this thread.... It made be google "backcountry" and now everything time I log on FB all I see is "backcounrty" ads and all my friends that like and support "backcountry!"

All this creates an internal struggle. I think I'll just go stick my head in the sand.. Blue pills anyone???
Old 1 Week Ago   #36

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbagkayaker View Post
I hate this thread.... It made be google "backcountry" and now everything time I log on FB all I see is "backcounrty" ads and all my friends that like and support "backcountry!"

All this creates an internal struggle. I think I'll just go stick my head in the sand.. Blue pills anyone???
So here's what you can do:

First share the Boycott Backcountrydotcom FB group with any friends that are still listed as "liking" the retailer,

Then select "hide ad" up in the top right corner of the ads and suggested posts. Unfortunately on the "why?" there's not an option for "scumsucking assholes" but that's OK, you can pick something else...

Gimmie that red pill!
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #37

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Quote:
Originally Posted by co_bjread View Post
Well, they are feeling the pressure, and have started to respond to the issue.

https://www.snewsnet.com/gear/backco...ademark-blowup

I'm not in marketing, but I would be interested to see what their sales charts are doing.

It mentions loss of 11,000 customers, which also makes me wonder how large their customer base is.
Thanks for the read, interesting. The link in the comment section shows all the litigation filed on behalf of corporate. Worth a perusal quickly just to see how many petitions they have filed.

USPTO TTABVUE. Trademark Trial and Appeal Board Inquiry System

Looks like they've been doing it for years, the world just picked up on it for whatever reason. I personally don't like any part of it and wrote an kindly worded email.
theusualsuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #38

Boulder, Colorado
I sent them this:

Your greed with this law suit has just cost you my business.

I’ve purchased at least a few things from you every year since about 2007.

I’m not sure you’d get my business back by dropping the suit, but its worth a shot.

Former customer, Dave

SAC, deleted

Gear trade, deleted.

Backcountry.com boycotted.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #39

Castle Rock, Colorado
I will be very curious what they do with Backcountry Access. They have been around decades longer than Backcountry.com and they are a significant supplier.
Sparks1000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #40
Definite maybe

Weld county, Colorado
Paddling Since: 0001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparks1000 View Post
I will be very curious what they do with Backcountry Access. They have
been around decades longer than Backcountry.com and they are a significant supplier.
They are going to have to sue everyone cause its sure looking like its going to be there only source of income.

Tags
backcountry