backcountry.com Sues Anyone Who Uses "Backcountry" in Name - Page 3 - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Boaters Forum | General Boating Topics

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #21

salmon, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
Just looked at the list of lawsuits.. looks like they are also suing pretty much anyone with a goat emblem. One agains barstool sports owned 5th year, pecos outdoors.
also has a lawsuit against costa del mar for their built for the backcountry emblem. also goat tape..

Costa and barstool have to have some coin to go to bat.

codycleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #22

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Mayhem for the win!!!
k2andcannoli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #23

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Quote:
Originally Posted by codycleve View Post
Just looked at the list of lawsuits.. looks like they are also suing pretty much anyone with a goat emblem. One agains barstool sports owned 5th year, pecos outdoors.
also has a lawsuit against costa del mar for their built for the backcountry emblem. also goat tape..

Costa and barstool have to have some coin to go to bat.
Essilor parent company of Costa. Revenue of 4.39B
theusualsuspect is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #24
SarahofTheWaves

FoCo,NoCo, Colorado
I made a comment to my "gear advisor" or whatever and requested that I be removed from their mailing list. Maybe someone is paying attention. Response below:

"Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on this matter with us. Your voice is important to us and we will certainly share your feedback with our Leadership team. While we would be really disappointed to lose your business, we understand and appreciate your perspective. Please know that we will continue to be here for you, ready to support your outdoor pursuits should you ever need us.

This has been a very complicated matter, and I hope that strength in numbers can help it reach a much needed conclusion."
sarahkonamojo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #25

Fort Collins
I sent an email to the customer service email address today, and got pretty much the exact same form letter. It ended by talking about snow, and having a good winter. Makes me wonder how much flack they are getting for it, and if it makes a difference. I also found it interesting today to see the Backcountry.com wiki page. At the bottom, it mentions the backlash on social media.
Old 1 Week Ago   #26

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Along the same WTF lines...
Startup insurance provider Lemonade is trying to make the best of a sour situation after T-Mobile parent Deutsche Telekom claimed it owns the exclusive rights to the color magenta. New York-based Lemonade is a 3-year-old company that lives completely online and mostly focuses on homeowners and renter's insurance. The company uses a similar color to magenta -- it says it's "pink" -- in its marketing materials and its website. But Lemonade was told by German courts that it must cease using its color after launching its services in that country, which is also home to T-Mobile owner Deutsche Telekom. Although the ruling only applies in Germany, Lemonade says it fears the decision will set a precedent and expand to other jurisdictions such as the U.S. or Europe.

"If some brainiac at Deutsche Telekom had invented the color, their possessiveness would make sense," Daniel Schreiber, CEO and co-founder of Lemonade, said in a statement. "Absent that, the company's actions just smack of corporate bully tactics, where legions of lawyers attempt to hog natural resources -- in this case a primary color -- that rightfully belong to everyone." A spokesman for Deutsche Telekom confirmed that it "asked the insurance company Lemonade to stop using the color magenta in the German market," while adding that the "T" in "Deutsche Telekom" is registered to the brand. "Deutsche Telekom respects everyone's trademark rights but expects others to do the same," the spokesman said in an emailed statement to Ad Age.
The report says Lemonade has complied with the ruling by removing its pink color from marketing materials in Germany. It's also trying to open up a larger discussion on the legal matter by using the hashtag "#FreeThePink," although it's gained little traction thus far.

Lemonade also filed a motion today with the European Union Intellectual Property Office, or EUIPO, to invalidate Deutsche Telekom's magenta trademark, and they released a color chart with which it asserts are the hues at issue.
MNichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #27

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Dear Gawd....

I can't help but wonder if somewhere there's a guy trying to figure out how he can get a patent on oxygen and then charge everyone to breathe.
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #28

Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy H. View Post
Dear Gawd....

I can't help but wonder if somewhere there's a guy trying to figure out how he can get a patent on oxygen and then charge everyone to breathe.
That would be photosynthetic organisms.... and they ARE revolting by burning themselves to ash all over the world rather than give us evil humans any more O2..... No more humans, no need for litigation and the side benefits are astronomical!
Old 1 Week Ago   #29
Psychedelic Pirate

Grants Pass, Jefferson
Paddling Since: 1999
Quote:
Dear Gawd....

It's not like Nestle, Pepsi, and Coke did that with water........ right?........ oh wait...
Old 1 Week Ago   #30

East Wenatchee, Washington
Paddling Since: 1976
Quote:
Dear Gawd....

Damn............you beat me "to the punch"! I was thinking AIR.

Perninent to the rafting community - then AIRE would be in jeopardy

Tags
backcountry