backcountry.com Sues Anyone Who Uses "Backcountry" in Name - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Boaters Forum | General Boating Topics

Old 1 Week Ago   #11

Golden, Colorado
Theyíll have to do a BOGO sale on some Aire Lynx IIís this winter to see my cash again.

A shame. Now they can sit right next to Ebay for companies that had a good thing once but lost their way in greed.

griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #12

Bayfield, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Kind of like good ole America in general. Greed is one of the seven deadly's just so you know. My old man used to say " there is such a thing as a moral profit." He was a preacher by the way. What happens when you go beyond "moral profit"? Your soul is at risk, according to him. Hmmmmm?
jamesthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #13

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
The BC.com rep never emailed me the email address to send complaints to, however I saw the address she mentioned on the Facebook Group "Boycott Backcountry.com"

[email protected]

If you send a message, please be polite, professional, and brief but firmly express your opinion and state any action you plan to take. Remember that the person who reads the email will be some low-level customer service rep in their 20s, not the CEO or one of the vultures that's filing the lawsuits.
Here's the email I just sent:

Quote:
No more Backcountry.com gear for me

To Backcountry.com Management,

I have recently learned that your company is filing lawsuits against any small business that uses the name “Backcountry” in its name. You are likely aware that the term “backcountry” has been around since long before your company was started, and you are trademarking a common phrase used by outdoor enthusiasts. I have enjoyed the services of SteepandCheap.com over the years, and have been greatly impressed by the knowledge and courtesy of your customer service reps, however I will not purchase another item from your company until the lawsuits stop. Your behavior is so offensive that I am going out of my way to spread the word among my friends and discourage them from purchasing your products.

Thank you for your past performance, I am greatly disappointed in your current actions.
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #14

Up shites creek, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Man, I've spent thousands of dollars with them. I have hundreds of SAC, tramdock, whiskeymilitia, and goat stickers. I was kinda proud of having them. Not so proud anymore. I'm not going to say I'll NEVER buy from them or their subsidiaries, but I will most definitely put them at the bottom of the list. I will pass on the $150 coat for my wife that's been sitting in my "cart" for the last week.
Old 1 Week Ago   #15

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
This is one of the insidious aspects of the trademark system.

Basically, if you have a trademark on something...in this case the word Backcountry... you are legally obligated to defend and pursue infractions against that trademark or you risk losing it.

That said...there are good ways and bad ways to go about it...and it appears that they are doing it the bad way.

I agree that, until they stop this behavior, publicly apologize, and go out of their way to make amends with the companies they have sued... I can't say I'll be doing business with them either.
Electric-Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #16

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Don't hate the player, hate the game. I'm gonna file this in the "things that don't matter to me" folder. Trademarks aren't that hard to get...any of those other manufacturers could have filed for the TM but didn't.
k2andcannoli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #17

Lakewood, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by k2andcannoli View Post
Don't hate the player, hate the game. I'm gonna file this in the "things that don't matter to me" folder. Trademarks aren't that hard to get...any of those other manufacturers could have filed for the TM but didn't.
Several of the companies that Backcountry.com is suing DO hold Trademarks for their brand name. Backcountry has applied and registered the trademark but have been repeatedly turned down for official status.

They are suing companies who have had a trademark or who have been in business since before BC.com was a thing. Essentially...they are taking the crappy morally questionable but legal route of attacking small businesses that hold a Trademark for their name but aren't as aggresive with defending it or businesses that use the term Backcountry...often times for longer then BC.com has been around. They are also convieniently leaving other larger corporations who have the financial and legal resources to fight back (Backcountry Access being a notable one....they make Avalanche gear and have a large parent company backing them similarly to BC.com).

The trademark system is REALLY shitty and for many small businesses is beyond the scope of what they are able to handle. If you apply and are awarded a trademark, you are basically required to have a legal team pursue action when other companies use the term. For most small businesses, that is just not feasible.

The argument most people are making is that the word "Backcountry" is so widely and generically used that no one should be able to hold a trademark on it. It's hardly the first time something like this has happened though... seems like every year or two we hear a similar story and it all comes down to some larger company sending lawyers after a tiny company and the tiny company not being able to afford to fight it and losing...making them have to remove the "trademark" word out of their business name.
Old 1 Week Ago   #18

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
" Back Country" there I fixed it for the little guys.
k2andcannoli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #19

Lakewood, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by k2andcannoli View Post
" Back Country" there I fixed it for the little guys.
haha... the article talks about one of the companies that got sued changing their name to Backcou eBikes...so you aren't far off.

For some reason I don't think adding a space alone will be enough for the lawyers.

Maybe just remove the "O" so its deeply offensive to some people.
Old 1 Week Ago   #20

salmon, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
I wonder what will happen when they go after someone with actual funding. Backcountry hunters and anglers comes to mind. This is an organization that every member most likely has done business with backcountry.com.

I have done a lot of business with backcountry.com but that will be changing.
codycleve is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
backcountry