Anyone have a copy of Colorado Rivers and Creeks and/or Whitewater of the S. Rockies? - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Boaters Forum | General Boating Topics

Old 05-15-2019   #1

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Anyone have a copy of Colorado Rivers and Creeks and/or Whitewater of the S. Rockies?

Hello,

So...I used to have a copy of the second edition of Colorado Rivers and Creeks but it went missing during my whitewater hiatus in the mid 2000's and I've really missed having a catch all book for local Colorado runs. Both that book and Whitewater of the Southern Rockies are long out of print and used copies online are pretty spendy so I figured I would ask on here if someone had a copy of either book in good condition they wanted to sell me.

I'm in the Front Range area of Colorado (Lakewood) and would be happy to come by and pick it up locally. If that doesn't turn anything up, I'd also be willing to pay for shipping.

Let me know.

Alternatively...if anyone knows the publisher of either book and wants to ask if they'd be willing to do another run if we got enough people together...I'd certainly be interested in that too. It feels like there is a huge hole missing for this kind of guide right now.

Electric-Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2019   #2

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
https://www.amazon.com/Colorado-Rive.../dp/0964539950
MNichols is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019   #3

Lakewood, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNichols View Post
Thanks...I have google on my computer too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2019   #4

conifer, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric-Mayhem View Post

But you don't have Amazon?
mr. compassionate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019   #5

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
Amazing how many great guides have gone out of print.

One of my favorites was Doug Wheat's Guide to Colorado Rivers and vicinity or something like that. His inclusion of geology, ecology, history was excellent.

Stholquist's Whiterwater guide was excellent.

Western Whitewater was a bible of knowledge of western rivers.

River of the Southwest by Anderson(RIP) was pretty good.

The wilderness river guides with logs by John Garren(RIP) were excellent with substantial opportunity for continuity.

Such a shame that someone didn't pick up the torch and update guides such as these.
GeoRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019   #6

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric-Mayhem View Post

Sorry if I offended you. Was not my intention.

You asked for a place to 1) get the book, and 2) the author. I provided both. I did not google it, I went right to Amazon and checked there, as I had been able to find a copy of Western Whitewater there, pointed in that direction by a friendly buzzard. I personally never thought to look there, not knowing Amazon sold used out of print books.
MNichols is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019   #7

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Search World Cat, will show libraries that have (Western Whitewater, for example), as well as stores/on line companies that have it and the price.

Abe Books, Barnes and Nobles, Biblio.com (out of print books), GoodReads.com, etc. are other places to search.
Old 05-15-2019   #8

Summit County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 92
I bought one from amazon years ago that was in used condition for about 25$ showed up and it was pretty much brand new. hopes that helps
Quiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019   #9

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
+ 1 for Western Whitewater. Kyle and Evan did a great job with WWSR but nothing compares with the extensive work CC&C did on this book. The detail in the rapid descriptions aren't found anywhere else.

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019   #10

Lakewood, Colorado
I do have a copy of Western Whitewater from the 90's but always thought it was a bit basic compared to run and rapid descriptions compared to CRC. Maybe I'm just not remembering CRC correctly but I recall maps and such for rivers that Western Whitewater doesn't have. Western Whitewater is certainly a very thorough and wide reaching book, which is nice. I guess I just was hoping for a more specific Colorado guide that is also up to date.

I never owned a copy of Whitewater of the Southern Rockies and I'm not sure I've even held a copy in my hands. I just saw some posts online saying it was more detailed then Colorado Rivers and Creeks and had a bunch of stuff in it that CRC didn't.

Tags
colorado river