Anchor set up suggestions - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-28-2020   #1

Anchor set up suggestions

I have the NRS raft anchor system and was curious about setting up something like the DRE 2:1 anchor system. Does anyone have any experience with this? I believe the frame piping on NRS is 1 5/8”. I’m trying to figure out the best option for the collar fitting. I have a pulley and rope to use. Thanks!

ColoradoTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2020   #2

I just tie the rope directly to the anchor mast.
Osprey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020   #3

Ellensburg, Washington
Paddling Since: 1982
Highly recommend this pulley/swivel.

SpinRx — ZIGCO LLC | PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT
GOTY2011 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2020   #4

salmon, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
Drill a vertical hole in the pipe between the two pulleys and run an eyebolt through with a nylock nut on top.. Then just attach pulley. Just make sure you done have more than a couple threads sticking out past your nylock nut so it wont damage your rope.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	94909_01_na_na_MastMounted_031120_1000x1000.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	45729  
codycleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
I just tie the rope directly to the anchor mast.
Any chance you have a picture of this? Does the rope slide or do you have something to keep it in place? Thanks for all the suggestions.
ColoradoTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020   #6

I don't think I've ever tied a type of knot to let it slide around, but even then I don't think it'd be an issue since it would always be pulled to the back. Just go around the pipe twice and use a decent cinch type knot like an improved clinch or slip knot, it's not going anywhere.
Osprey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020   #7

Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 1996
Im assuming youre going to be using this in the small boat in your profile pic? Remember you will need twice the rope to use a system like this and pull twice as much in every time. Yes it'll be easier to pull but it'll take longer. Anchors are and can be dangerous as it presents a rope in the water. I've lost one to the bottom of the river because it ever so gently landed between two large rocks and no amount of tugging even upstream would free it. Keep a knife handy and NO KNOTS ON THE TAG END! At least when or if yours snags, it'll slip the rope through the anchor pulley and you wont lose the rope. When I resorted to cutting I lost about 10 feet of rope rendering my line to a bow line for the future and leaving a rope in the water. I'ts bad news bears. Someone found it and recovered it in lower water before I was back. Good for them and good on them too. I was a novice boater and hadn't weighed the dangers and now realize my mistake. I was happy they did get it and they can have my anchor for their hard work. Last thing to remember is that you now have an pile of loose 5/8" rope just chilling in your rowers bay that could potentially knot itself and now you could risk getting into more trouble. My point is'nt to dissuade you from using an anchor especially for those fishing lazy days but to warn you and others of the risks they carry. Also you will need way more line than you think in any water thats moving. The further the anchor is from the boat the better it can grab the bottom of the river. Last thing I will do is promote a local company called Green Anchors out of Hamilton(?). Steel cased lead is less likely to add any lead to the river.
Jamesdking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #8

Whitefish, Montana
Paddling Since: 2003
Make sure your mast is flat or pointed down, so it won't slide towards the boat, and tie your rope on.
Sharkness is offline   Reply With Quote