ACTUAL river knife usage? - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-03-2016   #1

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: '05
ACTUAL river knife usage?

OK boaters, another bored winter thread.

I have been carrying my river knife like a good soldier for over a 1000 commercial trips, and thousands of private miles. I have never used it for anything more intense than cleaning my fingernails or spreading peanut butter.

It's in the way, it falls out, and it's in the way. I'm about ready to go without.

What I'm curious about is if anyone has used their river knife in a life and death situation that without their knife immediately accessible would have gone badly.

Uncle Benson loves you.

SYOTR. Soon enough I guess.

Advertisement

Old 03-03-2016   #2

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I have a friend who swam in Little Seidel's on the Fractions at 4000+. There was a pine tree hung up in the middle of the river, it must have fallen recently because it still had bark and a ton of branches.... He tried to avoid it, but swam into the branches and his skirt snagged with his face right at water level. He had to cut through his skirt to get free from the tree. If his knife had not been easily accessible there is a fair chance he would have drowned. He also cut the shit out of his hand trying to free himself.... a good reason to carry a blunt tip knife.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016   #3
Sponsoring Vendors

Paddling Since: 1994
I flipped a ducky on the upper blue. The thigh straps got twisted up around my leg and the buckle wouldn't release. I cut myself free, got the ducky to shore re rigged and went on my way. Without it it could have gone very badly.

I would never go without. At the very least I would run a folder in the pocket. The day you go without will be the day you need it and you'll kill yourself if you are in that situation, possibly literally.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2016   #4

Horserump, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
The only reason I got a knife was to slit the tubes of a certain outfitter on the Poudre if they ran me over again. 40 yrs on the rivers.
yak1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016   #5

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: '05
Orange pfd, white helmet, long blond hair? Blue boat? Chode.
Old 03-03-2016   #6

Hood River, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1994
I keep a folding knife in my pocket. This one is great:

E-Z Out Rescue - Yellow, Full Serration, Blunt Tip
zcollier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016   #7

Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
I just read this on another thread. I like the added safety of knife on outside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiggle View Post
My question is what else is in that pocket with the knife? If its just the knife sweet, but if you are going to be fumbling through a packed pocket i.e.: flip line, allan key, chapstick, lighters and snacks then I would still highly recommend one on the outside as well for those heat of the moment situations.

Side story, I was always taught to wear a knife on the outside of my vest, yeah there always in the way, but if you find the right fit its manageable, and yes I have lost many ( the hair tie trick works pretty well). Any ways I began to slack, became more of a private boater than a commercial, and started to carry a folding knife in my vest rather than a fixed blade on the outside. I had really only needed my knife to make the occasional sandwich or cut a random rope at camp so it seemed logical. I have know many other boaters that haven fallen to these trends.

This year during a high water run on the Ark my wife and I flipped our raft, during self rescue we got pushed into a strainer with me on the upside down boat and her tangled in the oar leash. Things started happening really fast, I reached in my vest for the folding knife, pulling out chapstick, tools, carabiners and other trash, dropping my knife, unknowingly on the drain holes of my upside down boat, I paniced, jumped in, ninja move untangle her and we both swim under this massive log . Once out of the water I could see my knife sitting on the boat.

I got home and ordered two new bear claws for both of us and We still carry very sharp folding blades in our vest

Just some food for thought in making a decision, things could have gone very differently for both if us something unseen was under water during rescue, someone was watching out for us for sure

maybe one day Ill share the go pro with y'all
SteamboatBORN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016   #8

Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleMan View Post
OK boaters, another bored winter thread.

I have been carrying my river knife like a good soldier for over a 1000 commercial trips, and thousands of private miles. I have never used it for anything more intense than cleaning my fingernails or spreading peanut butter.

It's in the way, it falls out, and it's in the way. I'm about ready to go without.

What I'm curious about is if anyone has used their river knife in a life and death situation that without their knife immediately accessible would have gone badly.

Uncle Benson loves you.

SYOTR. Soon enough I guess.
SimpleMan! Benson? I was in swiftwater with you last year! I was bigger guy whos SUPS and had shitty shoulder that came out in swim.
SteamboatBORN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016   #9

aurora, Colorado
Not life and death, but have used mine to unattach my static line from the frame after being pulled off a pin. Didn't want to be tied off to shore.
sea hag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016   #10
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
I think it's a poor idea to not carry a knife. It's like a bike or ski or helmet. Hopefully you never use it in your lifetime, but if you need it, you really need it. There have been cases.

https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f...nday-8008.html

I heard a story from someone who almost needed one and got lucky. He ended up caught on an abandoned rope in moving water. The rope went over his boat and snagged. He was holding himself stable and upright with one hand on an overhanging tree branch. He tried to cut the rope holding his knife with his free hand but couldn't reach it and needed to switch hands. He was having difficulty putting the knife back in the the sheath because it was one of those NRS ones that requires two hands to click it back in. Anyway, I forget the details but it ended up getting resolved by virtue of him basically losing control of the situation and getting flushed free. That was moderate WW too.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote