7/1 MFS permit holder looking for mentor(s) to hop on board - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Boaters Forum | General Boating Topics

Old 3 Days Ago   #1

Denver, Colorado
Hello, all! My name is Dan but everybody just calls me Sham! I picked up a MFS permit for 7/1 and taking out 7/8. None of my experienced boater buddies that I usually travel with are able to make it as they are doing other rivers around this time. I am looking for experienced boaters to run with my friend and I. I am looking to keep the trip below 10 people, leaving up to 8 spots on the trip.

About me: I am what I would consider to be on the lower end of experience level. The MF will be the biggest water I have navigated. It may sound like a drag, but I am looking to make a learning experience out of this trip. I would preferably like to spend a good amount of time scouting each consequential rapid (time permitting) with someone who has experience reading and moving through technical water and patience to listen and answer questions I will inevitably have. I am looking for boatmen/women with sound decission making skills and a mid/low level risk tolerence. I enjoy learning and want to be an asset not a hinderance.

I am a professional firefighter for the Denver Fire Department and have technical rope rescue knowledge with all of the gear for MA systems. I am a backcountry ski guide part time in the winter, and I also come with a Swift water rescue background and am also an EMT. My friend that will be joining us on my boat is Swift water 1&2 rescue certified, Technical rescue Certified, and has spent much of his career as a fireman in Vail with summers responding to a myriad of rescues on the Eagle and Colorado rivers. These career paths have created a healthy risk/benefit analysis character and allow us to perform best under stressful environments. My boat is a 14’ RMR and I am self sustainable. Whitewater experience is 90% multi days over 3-6 days on the Upper Colorado, Colorado through Utah, Poudre river, Hell’s Canyon and the Dolores Rivers. Mostly class III with a little class IV.

We do drink but won’t be partying hard. We don’t smoke the Jazz Cabbage but we are cool with it. We want to share the load of gear, food, and other costs of this trip.

I am aware of the risk associated with having an un-experienced whitewater boater (me) running his own boat on the trip. I am also aware of the consequence of a swim on this river. I am looking to step up my knowledge of reading water/rapids and further my whitewater decission making skills. I hope I can find a good match of boaters who want to tag along on this awesome trip!

Pm me if you are interested!

dmcgrew18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 3 Days Ago   #2

Denver, Colorado
7/1 MFS permit holder looking for mentor(s) to hop on board

Hello, all! My name is Dan but everybody just calls me Sham! I picked up a MFS permit for 7/1 and taking out 7/8. None of my experienced boater buddies that I usually travel with are able to make it as they are doing other rivers around this time. I am looking for experienced boaters to run with my friend and I. I am looking to keep the trip below 10 people, leaving up to 8 spots on the trip.

About me: I am what I would consider to be on the lower end of experience level. The MF will be the biggest water I have navigated. It may sound like a drag, but I am looking to make a learning experience out of this trip. I would preferably like to spend a good amount of time scouting each consequential rapid (time permitting) with someone who has experience reading and moving through technical water and patience to listen and answer questions I will inevitably have. I am looking for boatmen/women with sound decission making skills and a mid/low level risk tolerence. I enjoy learning and want to be an asset not a hinderance.

I am a professional firefighter for the Denver Fire Department and have technical rope rescue knowledge with all of the gear for MA systems. I am a backcountry ski guide part time in the winter, and I also come with a Swift water rescue background and am also an EMT. My friend that will be joining us on my boat is Swift water 1&2 rescue certified, Technical rescue Certified, and has spent much of his career as a fireman in Vail with summers responding to a myriad of rescues on the Eagle and Colorado rivers. These career paths have created a healthy risk/benefit analysis character and allow us to perform best under stressful environments.

My boat is a 14’ RMR and I am self sustainable. Whitewater experience is 90% multi days over 3-6 days on the Upper Colorado, Colorado through Utah, Poudre river, Hell’s Canyon and the Dolores Rivers. Mostly class III with a little class IV.

We do drink but won’t be partying hard. We don’t smoke the Jazz Cabbage but we are cool with it. We want to share the load of gear, food, and other costs of this trip.

I am aware of the risk associated with having an un-experienced whitewater boater (me) running his own boat on the trip. I am also aware of the consequence of a swim on this river. I am looking to step up my knowledge of reading water/rapids and further my whitewater decission making skills. I hope I can find a good match of boaters who want to tag along on this awesome trip!
Pm me if you are interested!
Old 3 Days Ago   #3

Boise, ID
Paddling Since: '99
That is a good way to write an invite. I’d totally go but am already on a trip those dates. Seems like a good opportunity for both parties.

Plus, with your river resume, I doubt you’d have trouble on the MF.
Conundrum is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 3 Days Ago   #4

thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
You left out the most important river qualification you possess
and that is your excellent fireman crew cooking skills and reliable Toyota pickup trucks. Have a excellent MFS.
raymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Days Ago   #5

wilson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1967
PM sent.
tetoncounty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Days Ago   #6
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcgrew18 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
That is a good way to write an invite. Id totally go but am already on a trip those dates. Seems like a good opportunity for both parties.

Plus, with your river resume, I doubt youd have trouble on the MF.
I agree. Great invite. Wish I could make it, just to show you the wonder of the river. Not that time of year for me.

I think you are going to be at a really optimal flow level for the Middle Fork as a first timer. Challenging the first two days at times, but pretty manageable for the most part.

Not saying you can't get in trouble, but you 3.5 to 3 feet is pretty forgiving.

Have a ball. Seriously I wish I could make it.
carvedog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Days Ago   #7

Denver, Colorado
Don't forget terrible mustaches!

I figured I’d get the formalities iut of the way first and then woo them with the culinary skills! And I unfortunatkey am the odd duck in the parking lot that looks like a Toyota commercial at the firehouse! The high top Transit camper van “Betty White” sticks out like a sorr thumb!
Old 3 Days Ago   #8

Denver, Colorado
Quote:
That is a good way to write an invite. I’d totally go but am already on a trip those dates. Seems like a good opportunity for both parties.

Thanks! I appreciate everyone on the Buzz being as helpfuk as they are!
Old 3 Days Ago   #9

Denver, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by carvedog View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcgrew18 View Post
Quote:

I agree. Great invite. Wish I could make it, just to show you the wonder of the river. Not that time of year for me.

I think you are going to be at a really optimal flow level for the Middle Fork as a first timer. Challenging the first two days at times, but pretty manageable for the most part.

Not saying you can't get in trouble, but you 3.5 to 3 feet is pretty forgiving.

Have a ball. Seriously I wish I could make it.
Thanks, Carvedog! It’d be great to have someone like yourself that knows the river like you were born from it! I have had this river on my mind since I first stumbled across the Frank Church Wilderness in a Documentary when I was a little fella. I’ve thought about the remoteness and wild nature of this terrain for years now. It’s finally here and I hope to have someone to move down this river with that really appreciates it for how unique it really is!

Not the time of year for you, Carve? Do you prefer it at high water or low?
Old 3 Days Ago   #10

Colorado, Colorado
Hi Sham...sent you a pm!
AzPackrafter is online now   Reply With Quote