7/1 MFS permit holder looking for mentor(s) to hop on board - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Boaters Forum | General Boating Topics

Old 4 Days Ago   #11

thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
Mountain Buzz has alot of skilled and knowledgeable boaters here, have an excellent river trip. Looks like you have a duplicate posting here.

raymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 4 Days Ago   #12

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
You should have some very fun flows and did well posting here for participants. I'd be very interested, but will be on a Main trip at the same time.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Days Ago   #13

Denver, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymo View Post
Mountain Buzz has alot of skilled and knowledgeable boaters here, have an excellent river trip. Looks like you have a duplicate posting here.
Yeah. Not quite sure how to delete the duplicate. Any idea?
dmcgrew18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 4 Days Ago   #14

thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
No big deal, maybe Andy will come along and join them together. Hope you have the time to share your adventures and experience with us. Always interesting to read about river journeys from different boaters. Thanks for including us into your search for qualified boaters to share you permit with, it means alot.
raymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Days Ago   #15
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcgrew18 View Post
Thanks, Carvedog! Itíd be great to have someone like yourself that knows the river like you were born from it! I have had this river on my mind since I first stumbled across the Frank Church Wilderness in a Documentary when I was a little fella. Iíve thought about the remoteness and wild nature of this terrain for years now. Itís finally here and I hope to have someone to move down this river with that really appreciates it for how unique it really is!

Not the time of year for you, Carve? Do you prefer it at high water or low?
Busy working the summer business in Sun Valley. I love it at all levels. Just got off last week and will go again late September.

The fishing can be really good early summer. It's good all year usually but I love the early season when they haven't seen too many flies yet because most think the water is 'too high' for good fishing. I hope you at least get a three day for the middle section. Out of state for the year is $108 or so, but a three day is something like $40. Maybe you don't fish, but it is worth it.
carvedog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Days Ago   #16
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
The two threads should be merged now.
Old 3 Days Ago   #17

Denver, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by carvedog View Post
The two threads should be merged now.
Thanks, Carve! I appreciate the help! As I have only been using the Buzz a little over a year, I’m not real certain of how things work so I appreciate you coming in with the assist! Do you run this website?

Also, I am not what I would call a fisherman anymore, but I did grow up on an island in SW Florida and grew up tossing palm sized flys on 10-12 weight rods at tarpon and snook! I hear the trout fishing is superb on the MF! Not a whole lot of experience with fresh water fish, but on a milder day I would definitely love to pull out the 5 weight that’s been hibernating in my closet! Thanks for the intell on the 3 day license. That sounds like the way to go. Any advice on what kind of flys would work best around that time?
dmcgrew18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Days Ago   #18
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcgrew18 View Post
Thanks, Carve! I appreciate the help! As I have only been using the Buzz a little over a year, Iím not real certain of how things work so I appreciate you coming in with the assist! Do you run this website?

Also, I am not what I would call a fisherman anymore, but I did grow up on an island in SW Florida and grew up tossing palm sized flys on 10-12 weight rods at tarpon and snook! I hear the trout fishing is superb on the MF! Not a whole lot of experience with fresh water fish, but on a milder day I would definitely love to pull out the 5 weight thatís been hibernating in my closet! Thanks for the intell on the 3 day license. That sounds like the way to go. Any advice on what kind of flys would work best around that time?
No worries. I am just a volunteer moderator which gives me the chance to fix dual threads like this and occasionally wave the ban hammer at the very few unruly types.
I do it because I have met some awesome peeps on this site. I was just out on the MF with spider and swimteam101. Since meeting these guys through the site we have become very good friends, so I keep showing up and trying to make it better.

And I double checked on the license. Changed again. First day is $15 and each day after for $7.

https://idfg.idaho.gov/licenses/fees-nonresident

Flies would be anything big. Salmon fly in large sizes. Big stimulators, hoppers, big madam X, big caddis, parachute adams. My daughter works at Lost River Outfitters in Ketchum and all of them are really knowledgeable on that river as well. There are a couple of shops in Stanley for flies and license.

It won't be low and slow so you can get away with a bigger fly. There will be some really nice pools starting to form at that time. Especially down lower. The first day might not be the best to try to fish, just because it's fairly busy. After that it gets slower, less steep, more pools and pretty awesome. Just remember single barbless hook and try to keep them in the water as much as possible. It is all catch and release. Wet your hands before handling the fish and hold them gently by the tail until they swim off on their own. So cool to see them dart away.

I have also bought from this fellow online and they flies are the best price anywhere.

https://www.wwfishingtackle.com/stor...out_Flies.html

under Terrestrials....

https://www.wwfishingtackle.com/stor...ow__-_Dry.html

This is a Dave's number 8 hopper, one of my faves.

$6 a dozen can't be beat. Army vet and made in the US of A.
Old 3 Days Ago   #19

Boise, ID
Paddling Since: '99
I'm with carvedog. Some of my funnest fishing days have been on the MF late June, early July. Top water fishing is where it's at. Big, floaty, ugly. Plenty of side tribs coming in to that are easy to have lunch at and spend some time off the banks too. The only frustrating thing is going over the underwater canyon and seeing the monsters lurking way down through the crystal clear water and not have time to change a fly. Don't worry, the cuts will keep you plenty busy.
Conundrum is offline   Reply With Quote