43 mi Bicycle Shuttle from Mineral Bottom to Ruby Ranch - Green River - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Boaters Forum | General Boating Topics

Old 04-19-2018   #1

Cadillac, Cadillac
43 mi Bicycle Shuttle from Mineral Bottom to Ruby Ranch - Green River

I'm planning a family canoe trip on the flatwater section towards the end of June. I'm having a hard time paying $400+ for a shuttle so I was thinking of dropping the wife and kiddies at Ruby and driving back to the top of Mineral Bottom and then mountain biking back 43 mi. Has anyone done that? Are the roads soft sand or hard pack. The first 10 mi are a gradual uphill, then the rest is steady downhill. Debating about bringing a cheap single speed city bike with 35mm tires. It will be a full moon, so maybe do the shuttle from 8 to midnight...

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/38.5...a=!4m2!4m1!3e1

Michiganboatbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2018   #2

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
You're gonna be in the middle of the desert, it's gonna be hotter than molten lead, you're going to be on backroads that may not be as well marked as they should be, particularly when you are riding in the middle of the night, with sweat pouring down your face. Paying for the shuttle is a good idea.

You should definitely post on this forum, there may be others like Rocky Mountain Canoe Club, and see if you can buddy up with another family launching the same day from Green River or Ruby. Furthermore, Ruby Ranch was not a campground when I was there years ago, it's where somebody lives. They may not want your family camping there that night. And they may not want you leaving your bike there.

You don't have to decide now, so I would troll different forums to see if you can shuttle with another group. You may have better luck combining shuttles if you were flexible and could launch from Green River.

Best of Luck,

Tom
twmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018   #3

St. George, Utah
Paddling Since: 1974
There is a campground at Ruby Ranch with a self pay box at the entrance to the ranch. Not much of a campground but serviceable. Please pay before you go in. I have only driven the shuttle the long way around, so can't give you info on biking it. These roads can turn to grease pretty quickly if it rains and you can't count on not having a cloudy night so it could turn into an epic ride.
Check with Coyote Shuttle in Moab to see if you can work out a shuttle, they might have some ideas.
dsrtrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2018   #4

thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
Night time bike ride; I like your thinking, of accumulating as much information as you can, apparently you see some problems with your plans or you would not of asked for input. I'm not getting that warm fuzzy feeling about your plans eather. I have done my fair share of river trips in and around the area. Mother nature is a very fickey entity in that very desolate area and the the roads turn to crap in a hurry. I would plan a better transportation shuttle, via a vehicle, whether you pay or bum a ride from someone doing the same trip. If someone says I'm full of shit and people do that night time bike ride all the time now days, well there you go.
raymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018   #5

Placerville, California
Paddling Since: 1988
I did that section last May. I used Coyote Shuttle. Sure was nice to leave my vehicle at the put in and have it waiting for me days later at the take out. If you decide to do the shuttle on your bike, you have to promise to report back here on how it went. I ride a road bike in my spare time and I wouldn't do this shuttle on my bike for all the money in the world. Good Luck!
Cambo5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018   #6
Sponsoring Vendors

Paddling Since: 1994
I would do the bike shuttle for all the money in the world, but thats the only reason I'd do it. Then I could at least explain to the fam that we were retired and can buy the shuttle company, or the canyon next time. I certainly wouldnt do it for $400. Coyote shuttle has run dozens and dozens of shuttles for me and they make sure your car is at the takeout, even if you leave no gas in it. Dont ask me how I know.

Think about how fun it will be for your family to sit at ruby ranch worrying if you are and hour, or a day late. It could really screw up the trip that Im sure costs more than $400 already if something went awry (rain/mud, drunks on the road,etc). Dont get me wrong, its a steep shuttle cost but worth it to make a smooth trip with the family.
Old 04-20-2018   #7

Ridgway, Colorado
Ok, I'll play the devil's advocate here.
I like your gumption and, as a fellow Michigander, I know that your balls are made of hardened motor-city steel.
I've ridden the mineral canyon road many times; it can be a sandy, washboard mess. The thought of slaying it on some POS skinny tire city bike is just plain dumb. Yer gonna want a proper mtn. bike (not a bad thing to bring to yer Moab vacation).
I assume that you'll be driving your route after dropping off the fam? Desolate country out there; drunk drivers are unlikely to run your ass over, drunk drivers are also unlikely to save your ass if shit goes south.
Bring a light; clouds happen.
Be prepared to bail on this plan if there is "weather".
Other than that, Giver!
rtsideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018   #8

Durango, Colorado
You can fly the shuttle for much cheaper, then just get a ride from Green River to Ruby Ranch: https://flyredtail.com/destination/other-shuttles/
storm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018   #9

Ridgway, Colorado
I think that you are confused.
rtsideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018   #10

Cadillac, Cadillac
Thanks for the feedback!

Thanks everyone for the input. Lots of valid points that have been in my head all along. In the past we've used Tex's Riverways, but that locks us into being at the take-out on a specific date. Redtail aviation and finding other families has the same drawback. Coyote shuttles is a strong possibility.

I do quite a bit of road and mountain biking and we will have proper mountain bikes with us. If someone told me that the roads were good, then I would be tempted to load the route into the cycling GPS, tank up with water and lots of quality lights and go for a ride, but without that....

I'll let everyone know how it went
Michiganboatbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote