2019 Dolores River Thread - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-07-2019   #1
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
2019 Dolores River Thread

Well, to early to tell shit probably, but since I am incorrigible and it is snowing...

Looks like El Diente and Lizard Head are at 114 and 132% snow water equivalent, respectively. From what I could tell looking at the DWC website, Mcphee is about 72' bellow Maximum Elevation. I don't believe they are able to fill it to absolute max elevation before being forced to let some out?
Please correct me if I missed any important snow sites, or if I got them wrong, to!

Long ways out I spose, may be tears and frustration again, as is often the case, but feel free to prognosticate, discuss, get your wheels turning, Etc.
Where there is water, there is life, and where there is life, there is hope...

Hope you're not to overtaken by cabin fever and winter time blues, and may there be hope for Our Lady of Sorrow in 2019.

Cheers!

Matt Man

Advertisement

Old 02-07-2019   #2

Bayfield, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Dude, you must be bored as you have been posting alot. Glad you had a good trip on the grand. Mother D is 50/50 at this time as far as I am concerned but if we continue to get snow it could happen. If it happens I will be there. Love the Dolores. Billy Crack is heading out on the grand in a couple of weeks. Planned for 30 days, 3 peeps two boats, sounds sketchy for 60 year old folks like me. I would go with but am recovering from a broken foot. They have room for another boat if you know anyone who would be up for it.
jamesthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019   #3

Western Slope, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
There's also a bit of runoff from the South into the Dolores between Lizard Head and Stoner from the North Side of the Babcock Peak massif. The Snotel Site for that is Sharkstooth.

The site shows the median for that at 78%

That peaks later than El Diente, which peaks later than Lizard Head. The 1-2-3 punch that keeps that run going a long time.
ColoradoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2019   #4

Tabernash, Colorado
Haha! Ya, guess I have! Think it must be part of my defense mechanism for dealing with regular life again. Definitely something wrong with me, had a month off to go run the greatest river trip I know of, and now all I want to do is go boating again, when I really should be buckling down harder, and working my but off. Just don't want "fake life" anymore!

Awesome, awesome trip, with a huge thank you to Evercat for inviting me!!! Out of the Grand till 2020 now, per GCNPS regulations, hope Billy has a great trip though, and I'll keep it in mind if I think of anyone.

Sorry to hear about the broken foot James, hope you heal up soon!
It'll be spring run off and summer before we know it, fingers crossed that she goes this year!
Old 02-07-2019   #5

Tabernash, Colorado
Thanks Dave, that's good info!
Old 02-07-2019   #6

Ridgway, Colorado
No fuckin' way.
It's going to take a couple years of above average snowpack to get Mcphee back to full pool.
It's nice to dream though.
rtsideup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019   #7

Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1970
I'm in the no way camp. Last years drought was just too severe. It'll take a couple of good years just to replenish the ground water tables, not to mention the McPhee low pool that rtsideup talked about.
jgrebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019   #8

Durango, Colorado
There is exactly a 0% chance that McPhee will spill this year, unless we have a miracle spring that bumps us to about 200% of average. Our ground water is severely diminished after last year and the reservoir is very low. Below the San Miguel will run, but not the middle stretches.
storm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019   #9

DURANGO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1977
10 to 1 odds it wont
Old 02-17-2019   #10

Tabernash, Colorado
Well, not enough yet to fill that gaping hole they got up there at Mcphee, but I was happy to find El Diente at 145, Lizard Head at 123, and Sharkstooth hanging in there at 94%, this morning. So we at least got some snow up there, and water for the upper D, plus good snow pack for the San Miguel, so bellow the confluence should be running.
For the San Miguel, Dolores, Animas, and San Juan Basins, we are at 114%, with only 2 sites reporting under 100%, 3 sites are not reporting.

Things are looking up for the southern mountains! About time those folks got a little moisture down there