2019 Dolores River Thread - Page 9 - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-29-2019   #81

lakewood, Colorado
Firewood ?

Please tell me you're not talking about dirty stinky old Tamarisks!

blucat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2019   #82

Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1970
"That flow will of course ebb and flow... but times 30 days 120,000 acre feet is waaay short of a fill up. Even if the mighty D went to 4000 CFS for 30 days, which is about as likely as an Ibex fart hitting you in face in Frasier, Co. it would still fall short of full pool or spill level."

"The res will certainly fill this year- especially with the coming two day storm, today and tomorrow increasing flows! The question is the spill - when and for how long?"

That feeling when you realize you suck at math
jgrebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019   #83

Dolores, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
If every day were like todays 6 day forecast, it would be 31 days until a spill, or on 5/30/2019
McPhee needs to fill 33.82 feet until spilling
At CRBFC's Median Forecast, there is an estimated 185,984 Acre Feet of water to spill
At CRBFC's Median Forecast, there are 94 Days of spill at 1,000 CFS
At CRBFC's Median Forecast, there are 47 Days of spill at 2,000 CFS
At CRBFC's Median Forecast, there are 31 Days of spill at 3,000 CFS
At CRBFC's Median Forecast, there are 23 Days of spill at 4,000 CFS
The most likely spill duration is 49 Days

thunderfoot's right, the releases for irrigation aren't a ton right now compared to the inflows, but once they ramp up my days to spill number will go up but be tempered by the higher runoff around that time. You could probably figure out when they typically do their releases and how much and build it in, but it's filling much faster than they can get rid of it, and so far they haven't started in earnest.

The res filled over 10k af since the last time I looked (10 feet in six days). The copious rain we're getting now isn't going to hurt, nor is the warmup again after the rain.

Just need time and it'll happen. Even at CRBFC's minimum forecast there's a 35 day spill still up in the mountains.

The dam changed things, just like every other river with a dam on it. The river is certainly not what it was pre-dam, but I wouldn't know since I wasn't alive yet. For a non-permitted multi-day trip, I'm having a hard time thinking of a better place. Sure, the put-ins get crowded, and can get frustrating. Be courteous, rig on your trailer, and go. Outside of that I haven't had a bad interaction with another group, and there are a ton of campsites within the gorge. They're certainly more overgrown in the WSA stretch, but nothing a good pair of loppers can't help.

But seriously, don't rig on the ramp. You know who you are. And especially if you've taken out at the new Slickrock ramp, that place sucks and you can easily miss it if a junkshow group has decided to take the entire thing. I'm going to have to start tagging those kind of groups gear with "LODO RAMP SHITSHOW 2019" stickers. Any graphic designers want to help out?
b.pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2019   #84

Montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Gateway to Dewey Bridge

Has anyone run from Gateway to Dewey Bridge at this water level. It's running at 4,000 to 5,000 CFS. I'm considering doing shuttle friday night and running this on Sunday. Can you do this in a day?

How crazy is it down there at big water? I'm curious if high water washes some of these rapids out, or makes them bigger.
coloradoajm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019   #85

Telluride, Colorado
Runable in a day but the camping after state line and 3 mile or whatever it is is really nice.
benrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019   #86
mallard

Telluride, Colorado
DWCD says possible spill the week before Memorial Day

Friday May 3, 2019 McPhee Release Update with PS :: Dolores Water Conservancy District
angelabyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019   #87

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderfoot View Post
Bottom line: When it happens weekends will be a zoo. Mid-week less so. Campsites that were beautiful and easy are overgrown - bring loppers. Go in small groups as more camps are available than a 4-6 boat 20 person group.

Yes.

You are way better off, if you do get the opportunity to run the Dolores, if you keep it to a small, experienced, group.
It’s really not a conducive river for the big, invite anyone, party, type trips. The camps tend to be small and grown in, hard to find do to the rampant vedge. You might get skunked trying to find a spot for the night, and have to share, especially on weekends.
Keep it small, be flexible, if you do end up going!
Old 05-06-2019   #88
A Political Theorist

Gonzorango, Colorado
For the math challenged, McPhee will probably keep rising 1.5-2.5 feet per day IF it stays warm. Subtract backward from 6920 for the release date. 6898.5 now. Puts my guess in at May 15, with two day lead time from DWCD and the Wrecked Bureau.

Expect that DWCD will only give the order to release water to keep the dam for overtopping, and their own greed will probably cause them to believe the low-ball estimates they are publishing. The release calculus will ignore the likelihood of a rain on snow May 23 while the Dolores is raging at 6000 cfs and it is too late to dump enough through the penstocks. Not sure if plywood will be enough to correct for their mistakes. What is the speed record for Bradfield to Gateway?

Good year to cook up a batch of mussels and pinto beans on the banks of the Dolores, and wash it all down with a good Chianti.
Droboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019   #89

DURANGO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droboat View Post
Expect that DWCD will only give the order to release water to keep the dam for overtopping
raging at 6000 cfs and it is too late to dump enough through the penstocks. What is the speed record for Bradfield to Gateway?
I'd expect some kind of a spill soon to prevent the overflow. But to see 6,000 again would be really good for that river canyon. I think it was 1979 when it ran that big.

My girlfriend and I rowed from Bradfield to Moab in 4 days at 1,400 at 6,000 It'd be fun to try that one again.
Old 05-06-2019   #90

lakewood, Colorado
What about at the Put in? I've assemble a small group and we will be launching mid-week in an effort to avoid the weekend show.

But I'm not familiar with the put in and how/where we can congregate the evening before?
blucat is offline   Reply With Quote