2019 Dolores River Thread - Page 7 - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-22-2019   #61

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
DWCD Meeting on the 18th?

Wasn't there a meeting on the 18th at which they discussed the prospect of releases that we could take advantage of?

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2019   #62
mallard

Telluride, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy H. View Post
Wasn't there a meeting on the 18th at which they discussed the prospect of releases that we could take advantage of?
I didn't make the meeting but just spoke to Ken at the Dolores Water Conservancy District. He said, even though April has seen a decrease in precipitation from March, there will still PROBABLY be a release...but it won't happen until late May at the earliest. I guess this is the earliest they think the reservoir could fill. Of course, if we see a succession of hot days this could change, as we've seen spur-of-the-moment "uh-oh" releases in the past, right? They will make an announcement on May 7th or May 8th on their website:Releases :: Dolores Water Conservancy District
angelabyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019   #63

Dolores

I'm trying to get on the Dolores for a May 1 launch. Right now is it boatable? The McPhee Dam report says its only releasing 40 CFS but Bedrock is showing 1100 cfs.

https://www.americanwhitewater.org/c...detail/id/387/

Is that all small Tributaries coming in? If so are they below Slickrock and above Bedrock?

So long story short is May 1 launch going to be doable?

Thanks!
pcrawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2019   #64

Ridgway, Colorado
Please read thread before posting stupid questions.
rtsideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019   #65

So I have read through the threads and I'm not exactly familiar with the rivers down there so either I'm really stupid or I just missed the info. Previous questions still stand if someone could please help me out.

Thanks
pcrawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019   #66

The short answer is the Dolores below the dam will likely not be running May 1. My girlfriend went with a small group from the dove creek pump house to slick rock this past weekend and had a great time. Currently we're seeing boatable flows from low elevation snow melt, which isn't likely going to last very long. Right now they've put the odds of a boatable release from McPhee at 50/50 and I'd say those odds are decreasing with the lack of precipitation we've had the past month. A friend attended the meeting they held in Dolores on the 18th and as far as a boatable spill they didn't say anything new. It is at this time uncertain.
Joedills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019   #67

Dolores, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
https://the-journal.com/articles/135...-river#slide=0

It probably won't be boatable May 1, most of the mid and lower snowpack is melting/gone, Slickrock gauge keeps going down every day.

Can anyone explain why they only think there's only 130k a/f at the CRBFC 50% forecast?

CRBFC 50% forecast = 425k a/f
To Fill McPhee = ~160k a/f

Irrigation will ramp up shortly and be taking while it's filling, but still, it seems kind of low.

And last thing, their 40k to 130k a/f spill levels equate to 20 to 66 days if you just let it go at 1000 cfs. They obviously won't, but at a minimum it's seeming like a 7-12 day spill is almost a sure thing, and I would be surprised if it isn't much longer.
b.pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019   #68

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
[QUOTE=

Can anyone explain why they only think there's only 130k a/f at the CRBFC 50% forecast? [/QUOTE]

“Conserving and developing the Dolores river for DOLORES and MONTEZUMA county’s, in southwest Colorado”

I believe the Dolores Water Conservancy District, really does not want people boating the Dolores. Every year that there is a possibility of a release, they say, “ no, no, no, it probably won’t run”. They do not want people down there on that river, the more people that boat it, the more momentum for changing how the river is managed, or mismanaged. And that is against even there very mission statement, and point of existence, keeping as much of that water, as absolutely possible, IN Dolores and MONTEZUMA county’s, selling off the river for max profit, conserving it from going down stream.

I believe the only way things will change, is through a LONG effort, of changing public sentiment ( or a house boat and some dolphins), especially near by to the Dolores river.
Things like getting kids in the area out on the water, so that they can see the river for being a river, not just an irrigation ditch to be exploited. So they can see boating as a good thing, not just a bunch of damn fools out there splashing around and waisting a resource, by allowing some water to go on down stream, instead of growing some more Alfalfa.

I think it is of the utmost importance if we want there to be a river, to do what we can, to change how people see the river.
Organizations like Dolores River Boating Advocates, are doing some good work to forward this cause.
Or anything else you think you can do to help.

Opinions of the public, will help shape the future, for good or bad.

End soap box for Matt Man.
Old 04-23-2019   #69
thunderfoot

ridgway, 970-316-1509
Paddling Since: 1980
I have been running the River of Sorrows since way before McFee. Back then it went well into August. Mcphee is the changeling, read some books. A Story that Stands Like a Dam, Cadillac Desert, anything that explains the BuRec projects that started in the 1920's. Wayne Aspenall projects that McFee was the last of.
NO Water is is being released from the dam... (50 cfs) as usual. The flows that are there are from the runoff of high mesa snowmelt, (downstream) from the good winter we had. Which will end soon, and way before 200,000 acre feet gets to the res.
Just look at the Rico, and Dolores gauges, and the release gauge.
Education is understanding, comprehension, and knowledge.
thunderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019   #70

Dolores, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt man View Post
Things like getting kids in the area out on the water, so that they can see the river for being a river, not just an irrigation ditch to be exploited. So they can see boating as a good thing, not just a bunch of damn fools out there splashing around and waisting a resource, by allowing some water to go on down stream, instead of growing some more Alfalfa.
I've been doing just this since they were 6 weeks old and 2 weeks old. We also have friends that work for DWCD, and others that are farmers. Like all things in western water, it's not so simple, and law is on the side of irrigators.

Mine was an actual question to any buzzards with a hydrologic bent. From what I can discern, there's more water in the hills than is being incorporated into the release forecasts. DWCD has a notoriously bad reputation for accurate forecasting of releases, but there hasn't been a trip on the lower that I haven't seen the folks in charge of the dam at Bradfield smiling and interacting with boaters, and in many cases going down the river themselves.

And to thunderfield's point, the philosophy is spot on, but the dam isn't the only release point, you have to incorporate all the ditches plus the dam, and those add up to 200 CFS as of today and will only go higher as May goes on. So I guess I need to look at mean flows of all of the ditch outlets and incorporate those into my best guesses.
b.pi is offline   Reply With Quote